Montserrat for the day

nacsivmw

We will be staying in Barcelona for 5 days prior to our cruise in September. We are planning a day in Montserrat. Any suggestions on best way to get there, best time of day to visit, etc? This will be our first time visiting.

The boys choir sings at 1PM and 6:45PM on weekdays except in July and over the Christmas holidays. This is a renowned choir. These boys are selected from all over Spain and they live in Montserrat in the Monastery. So I would try to be there at one of these times. The town can be reached by bus or train and funicular. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-montserrat.html

Viator offers tours that pick up at many hotels. It might be worth it if you aren't into going it alone. I personally enjoyed the guided tour we did with the cruise line but we were not there for the 1PM choir and I think that would make the trip really special. It's a fantastic place to visit.

http://www.viator.com/Barcelona-attractions/Montserrat-tours-tickets/d562-a835?pref=02&aid=g2338

http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Montserrat-and-Cava-Trail-Small-Group-Day-Trip-from-Barcelona/d562-3142MONT/photos

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Make sure you go to the art gallery by the church. It is in the side of the hill to the left hand side when facing the front of the church. There is a fee to enter but it is so worth it if you enjoy see different works of art and they even have a mummy with painted wrappings. Also there is a collection of Russian Icons. Hope you have great time.:)

We were in Barcelona earlier in June and took the trip to Montserrat. I will say we took the metro to the train station and caught the train, just be careful both the R5 & R6 go the same point then split, so if you need to change trains double check. We purchased the combo train and cable car ticket, taking the cable car up was interesting and way up there. I agree be there to hear the choir.

We really enjoyed our visit and would recommend if you can visit.

• 1 month later...
We were in Barcelona earlier in June and took the trip to Montserrat. I will say we took the metro to the train station and caught the train, just be careful both the R5 & R6 go the same point then split, so if you need to change trains double check. We purchased the combo train and cable car ticket, taking the cable car up was interesting and way up there. I agree be there to hear the choir.

We really enjoyed our visit and would recommend if you can visit.

hi. we are hoping to do this trip to Montserrat in oct. ship is docking at 8am so just wondering what is the earliest time we can leave the ship. also is it easy to get the metro, where is the nearest stop to the ship? Also how much time do we need to allow for the trip. thanks

Marie

hi. we are hoping to do this trip to Montserrat in oct. ship is docking at 8am so just wondering what is the earliest time we can leave the ship. also is it easy to get the metro, where is the nearest stop to the ship? Also how much time do we need to allow for the trip. thanks

Marie

If you would prefer to go there by yourselves rather than on a tour, you need to get to Espanya station.

Take the port shuttle bus to Columbus monument. Walk to Drassanes metro station (3 or 4 minutes walk). Take the metro (green line 3) to Espanya.

From there you can take the R5 train to Montserrat.

Don't forget, for the Aeri (cable car) you get off the train at Montserrat Aeri. For the Cremallera Funicular (rack railway) you get off at Monistrol de Montserrat (1 station after Aeri). Make sure you book the ticket to the correct station.

For train times and more information go to this page. Note that the times on this page are from 2013 timetable. You may wish to verify these times for when you are travelling.

Edited by RollieUK

If you would prefer to go there by yourselves rather than on a tour, you need to get to Espanya station.

Take the port shuttle bus to Columbus monument. Walk to Drassanes metro station (3 or 4 minutes walk). Take the metro (green line 3) to Espanya.

From there you can take the R5 train to Montserrat.

Don't forget, for the Aeri (cable car) you get off the train at Montserrat Aeri. For the Cremallera Funicular (rack railway) you get off at Monistrol de Montserrat (1 station after Aeri). Make sure you book the ticket to the correct station.

For train times and more information go to this page. Note that the times on this page are from 2013 timetable. You may wish to verify these times for when you are travelling.

thanks a million. we want to do it ourselves and not be very tied to a schedule. we are in port from 8am to 10 pm. this info makes it sound quite accessible. thank you

Tour share requests are ONLY allowed on the roll calls. If they're posted anywhere else they will be removed. Thanks for your future cooperation.

Assuming you were referring to craftymarie, I don't think she was looking for a tour share - just how to get there by train

I did this a few years ago, it was wonderful. My only advise is go early. It gets very crowded from like 11am on, hundreds of tour buses. We took a tour that left the ship and then dropped us all at our respective hotels. Someone else made the reservations so I cant even tell you what company we used. They do see chocolate and liquor there as well. I thought that was interesting.

Norma

I did this a few years ago, it was wonderful. My only advise is go early. It gets very crowded from like 11am on, hundreds of tour buses. We took a tour that left the ship and then dropped us all at our respective hotels. Someone else made the reservations so I cant even tell you what company we used. They do see chocolate and liquor there as well. I thought that was interesting.

Norma

thank you for your reply. we are hoping to leave the ship as soon as possible after it docks and make our way there. I like the sound of chocolate and liquor :D

Marie

• 1 month later...

Yes. we purchased it at Placa Espanya train station. very easy process. there was an information booth specifically for Montserrat and people at the kiosks to help with purchase. we were there on 18th oct. and had a fantastic day. make sure you pick up the timetable at the info booth as this gives the times of the trains with connections to the cable car or train, this way you are not waiting for ages in monistrol ..Enjoy:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just got back from Barcelona and did Monserrat on our own. It was very easy. We took the metro (using a T10 card) to the Espanya station. We followed the signs that said "To Monserrat" and ended up at the kiosks. I was 1/2 way done inputting what I wanted into the kiosks and someone redirected me to the tourist guide helper. If you want to take the funical (train) up it is the desk inside the little enclosed desk area. If you want to take the cable car it is a desk before the main (looking) one.

I did not tell them we wanted to also take the funicular up top so we didn't get the correct combo ticket so it cost 4 euros more (buying on our own). But it was fine. We got the train + cable car combo only for 20 euros. We took the 936 train. The train had Monserrat on the side of the car - literally screamed tourist train - so it was easy to spot.

I don't know how long those helpers are at the station but my guess is they are there for the first couple trains leaving the station. 836, 936 and 1036. I think it is 36...

• 1 month later...

Nobody has said anything about it, but My very favorite part of our trip to Montserrat was the street venders booths. Being able to walk up and down those booths and being offered samples of the different types of honey and goat cheeses was an unexpected delight.....enjoy

Doug

Is Monserrat accesable to wheelchairs? Are the trains, funicular,cable cars?

Dh can walk a short distance, uses a scooter. Since there have been so many recent visitors I thought someone might have noticed .

Thanks

Karen

I think so? At least the main part but even that is pretty hilly. We took the cable car up which I believe used ramps but the size of the actual cable car is relatively small. You would probably be better taking a tour since the bus can drive to the top. Also I don't know if the top top is accessible because I think there are stairs to load onto the funicular. I don't remember if there is an elevator at the top...definitely some stairs though. (But I wouldn't have taken the elevator so didn't look).