Celebrity vs Crystal

emptynest1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> QM2 rates are approx $1500 pp to $28,000 (that's not a typo!!!) pp for the sailing. That's going to attract a pretty broad mix, don't you think? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of the cruiselines have a broad range of prices / cabin levels. For example on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise, the prices range from $10,300 pp for the Penthouse to $1,350 pp for an inside.

This is bound to attract differing socio-economic levels, but I think more than that it reflects what people want or expect from a cruise experience. Many people are just not interested in the more costly cabins because they are very active in shipboard and port activities. We have a number of friends (that are "better-off" than we that always book small cabins.

Back to the pricing - When we spend 10x what others are paying, we want more than the real estate. We are paying for the amenities, service and other special treatment. Celebrity and HAL a close second seem to have this handled very well.

Sue

sueclark@aol.com

Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05

We were also in a Royal Suite on the Mercury, 12/29/03 sailing. Our suite was nice. Butler couldn't have been better. However, on this ship we encountered some of the worst service I could ever imagine. For instance, my husband likes a gin & tonic with dinner...on this 10 day cruise, he actually managed to get one only three nights. I had a pool attendent actually scream at me when I mentioned my pina colada glass was not empty when he took it. Got back to our cabin after a long, hot walk only to find we had no ice at three in the afternoon. So I ran up to the pool bar for cold water where one bartender was trying to serve the people three feet deep at the bar as well as the waiters. And getting a form letter in reply to my complaints was the final straw. Like Sue says we paid for a lot of $$ for more than just the suite. I won't be taking a chance with Celebrity again. We are booked on a Seabourn next February.

Judy

We've been on Celebrity,Princess, RCCL, HAL and Silversea and are about to try Oceania Insignia in September. We love Celebrity and are doing the Med on the Constellation and the Galapagos on the Expedition this year (it's the year of the 25th wedding anniversary---so lot's of travel). However, we have heard extra fabulous things about Oceania---great food,small ships, etc., so we are giving it a try. We like the smaller ships, where possible (translation more interesting ports, usually) of Celebrity and Silversea and thought Oceania might be an interesting compromise, especially where she is going to the Black Sea with free air and 2 for 1 promo. Plus, Oceania is country club casual---no tuxes or even jackets required. My husband has a great tux, but he rather leave it at home.

You might try Oceania sometime as a compromise between Celebrity and Crystal.

Quotes by sueclark:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Let's look at a two week cruise: for about $10,000 on Celebrity we get a Royal Suite, including Butler service and all the special attention given to the ships top passengers. For the same money on Crystal, we would get a nice verandah cabin... they too only give the special attention and Butlers to the top passengers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Back to the pricing - When we spend 10x what others are paying, we want more than the real estate. We are paying for the amenities, service and other special treatment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to respectfully disagree. Ma Bell said it. I do not consider myself a "top passenger" on Celebrity because I have spent more on a cabin. I am a passenger like everyone else, who has paid more for the extra space and the amenities of a butler. I have always received excellent service regardless of being in a suite and in my view, Celebrity, being a mass market line, cannot hope to deliver better service commensurate with the price paid for accomodation because the service is already so good.

Phil

Mercury Western Caribbean November 2002

Galaxy Eastern Caribbean November 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600 <BR

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Out Of Galveston

13th November 2004

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

[This message was edited by excitedofharpenden on 05-23-04 at 05:41 PM.]

Archived