Star, Dawn or Jade Garden Villa- help me decide!

maja651

We are looking at cruising in November 2015 or January 2016 in a garden villa. We have looked at the Dawn, Jade and the Star. All have very similar itineraries and costs, but sail from different ports. Does anyone have any experience with theses garden villas and/or suite experiences? I know the Star and Dawn have larger Garden Villas, but they are older ships and do not have a Haven. Does it matter when you are in the Garden Villa? There will only be 4 of us in the villa so the Jade's smaller space is not really a huge deal, but wow that outdoor space on the Dawn and Star looks pretty amazing. Just looking for opinions.

Edited by maja651

The Dawn or Star would be my first choice.....we have stayed in Star GV and it's huge,also stayed in Gem GV ,similar to Jade.

On the Gem we never used the haven area,you don't need it.

Take the Star/Dawn if you can.....if you like a bar,pick 14500 it has a bar inside the main lounge...14000 has a internal bar...it's like a walk in kitchen.

Hi there!

We were in the GV on the Dawn and Jewel (sister ship to Jade) and we loved both but they are different.

The Jewel has 1 master bedroom and 2 balcony bedrooms where the Dawn has 2 masters and 1 regular bedroom (no balconies)

The outside area on the Dawn is bigger both in the garden area and upstairs.

I did like the living and dining area on the Jewel better and the foyer area was a nice touch as you walk in. Having the half bath was a bonus when we had guests come visit.

I can actually send you pics of both if you like.

We are currently booked in the GV again on the Dawn just because the week works for everyone : ) Otherwise, we wanted to try the Gem GV.

And we did look into the Haven area but never used it while on the Jewel.

We also have stayed on the Gem Haven and Breakaway Haven but once you do the GV, it's hard not to cruise in the GV : )

You really can't go wrong..... Are you going with a small group?

Do a search on YouTube for NCL Garden Villa and check out all the videos to see which look the best to you.

Also check the videos for sister ships. The Gem, Jade, Jewel and Pearl are sister ships. The Dawn and Star are sister ships. The suites will be very similar on sister ships, mostly just decorated differently.

All GV are amazing but if given a choice we would always take the Star/Dawn. We absolutely love the extra outside space. We have done the Jade, Jewel and Gem and never used the Haven except to occasionally ride the stationary bike.

Do a search on YouTube for NCL Garden Villa and check out all the videos to see which look the best to you.

Also check the videos for sister ships. The Gem, Jade, Jewel and Pearl are sister ships. The Dawn and Star are sister ships. The suites will be very similar on sister ships, mostly just decorated differently.

I agree that checking the details out on YouTube is a great way for you to make your decision. That having been said, we LOVE the STAR GV as the outside room/courtyard area is SO big! AND we have been fortunate enough to have always rented BOTH Garden Villas - which means that they open both the living room wall area as well as the outside areas.....basically you have the entire floor to yourselves!

BUT - my only issue with the STAR/DAWN is that although they DO have the two master suites....they do NOT have any balconies connected to the individual staterooms. Even though you have TONS of space in your private courtyard AND the upper deck which is your too.....I did sometimes miss the opportunity to lean over the deck of your balcony and truly feel the ocean breeze, view, etc. The courtyard areas of Dawn and Star have glass walls....so although the view is pretty much the same, you cannot lean over as in a regular balcony....

So again, my two things for you to consider are 1) two master suites vs. one and two mini suite type rooms and 2) balconies connected to staterooms vs. larger courtyard area ......

Check out YouTube and let us know what you decide!

Thanks to all for your help! We have decided on the Star, mostly because the dates and itinerary works best with our existing timeshare. I also think we prefer the huge garden area and the 2 masters. However, for now, we had to book the OS, because my brother has not committed yet. :(. We plan to upgrade to the GV when he does, if it's available.

I had the GV on the Dawn last year ( last wk. in Aug.) & it was great . ( 14500 ). I live in Boston which was a plus, but the cruise to Bermuda was very very nice,if you have never been thier . It was very ( I mean very very spacious 6,500 sq ft which includes your own spar and a tennis court if you bring a net lol ! ). Any way after being by myself I did meet some very nice people who I asked to join me in the GV! I will do this agin , hopefully with friends ! I do have pics of this if interested . Max! :):cool:

I had the GV on the Dawn last year ( last wk. in Aug.) & it was great . ( 14500 ). I live in Boston which was a plus, but the cruise to Bermuda was very very nice,if you have never been thier . It was very ( I mean very very spacious 6,500 sq ft which includes your own spar and a tennis court if you bring a net lol ! ). Any way after being by myself I did meet some very nice people who I asked to join me in the GV! I will do this agin , hopefully with friends ! I do have pics of this if interested . Max! :):cool:

Oh wow! You sound like a very nice and generous person! :). I would love pictures if you want to share. :) and if you need future cruisers, we will be happy to come along. :D. My hubby's mom is from the Boston area, but I have never been.

Oh wow! You sound like a very nice and generous person! :). I would love pictures if you want to share. :) and if you need future cruisers, we will be happy to come along. :D. My hubby's mom is from the Boston area, but I have never been.

How do I send pics to you? Max

We had a wonderful week in 14500 on the Star. It was fantastic! We had an awesome butler, concierge and hotel director which only added to a wonderful time.

I would choose any of these ships, but the Jade would be my choice now since Jean-Michel is the current Hotel Director. He'll make sure you have an unforgettable vacation!

Hi - thanks for the info posted. We're hoping to do the Jade Garden Villa and are wondering about the extra bedding other than the queen beds in the 3 bedrooms. Can those queen size beds be split into two twins? I'm assuming that the master bedroom can't - but no info seems available as to whether the other beds can be. And I've seen a chair that opens into a bed in one smaller bedroom (but not in all pictures). An agent said that there is also one in the living room, but I can't find it in photos. Any info would be helpful...so our 8th person won't be sleeping on the deck!

Hi - thanks for the info posted. We're hoping to do the Jade Garden Villa and are wondering about the extra bedding other than the queen beds in the 3 bedrooms. Can those queen size beds be split into two twins? I'm assuming that the master bedroom can't - but no info seems available as to whether the other beds can be. And I've seen a chair that opens into a bed in one smaller bedroom (but not in all pictures). An agent said that there is also one in the living room, but I can't find it in photos. Any info would be helpful...so our 8th person won't be sleeping on the deck!

I'm 99% sure the beds cannot be separated. I have not seen photos of a chair bed. I would guess the butler will arrange for a rollaway bed if you aren't over the capacity of the GV. I've heard some folks have the rollaway placed in the closets of the main and the back bedrooms. Those areas are large enough (and are approximately the size of a regular inside cabin).

The middle bedroom (smaller) may have a loveseat/couch that opens to a single bed.

Were in the Jade GV in January. Beds cannot be split.

If you book a Garden Villa I don't think you would miss the Haven. The villa comes with its own private sundeck and hot tub plus the entire outdoor space. Its really your own private Haven.

My only suite experience on a NCL ship without the Haven was the Sky. And it was by far the BEST suite experience ever! Such a small amount of suites that the concierge and butler treat you like royalty.

I wish NCL would go back and build ships that have suites but not Haven access. We don't use the dip pool that is usually overflowing with kids anyway. I like the perks but the Haven area is nice but could do without it to save $$$.

Thanks to all for your help! We have decided on the Star, mostly because the dates and itinerary works best with our existing timeshare. I also think we prefer the huge garden area and the 2 masters. However, for now, we had to book the OS, because my brother has not committed yet. :(. We plan to upgrade to the GV when he does, if it's available.

I think you made the right choice, particularly since you will appreciate the two masters since it is two couples going. We are just off the Dawn 14500 and the outside area is truly spectacular. I do agree with above poster that we had a slight preference for Gem's GV common interior space, but otherwise found the Dawn's GV to be superior. The only time I think the Haven adds to the GV experience is if you are sailing from the Northeast in the winter months and can utilize the Haven facility on cold days. That was the case on our Gem GV experience. We did not miss the Haven on our recent Dawn GV since it was summertime. Enjoy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 months later...

the villa on the Star is awesome, we had a sail away party of about 50 people and lord did we have enough room,]

the hot tub is nice place along with the sauna..

and we enjoyed this cabin jut for the two of us, funny thing was the other villa cabin had only two people as well,

jerry donna

the villa on the Star is awesome, we had a sail away party of about 50 people and lord did we have enough room,]

the hot tub is nice place along with the sauna..

and we enjoyed this cabin jut for the two of us, funny thing was the other villa cabin had only two people as well,

jerry donna

Glad you had a good time. What condition was it in and which one did you have?