westerdam fire

Marco's Tia, quite right, there are few facts known.

In answer to your question "Do you doubt that the lawyer is an ambulance-chaser?" Perhaps he is an ambulance chaser as you suggest, but yes, I do have my doubts that is the case - much as I have doubts about some whose posts sound like they're coming from cruise line plants.

Hopefully, no one is preventing the investigation from proceeding, nor should anyone be prevented from asking questions.

If your family were taking a voyage on this ship in the near future, would you not have concerns? If a family member was a crew member, would you not worry? Even if don't have concerns, why does it bother you that others ask questions about the fires ?

I do agree with you, all I am saying - apart from the lawyer issue - is that, we - on an internet forum and not in possession of all facts - cannot already jump to the conclusion that there is some kind of cover-up. There are outside agencies investigating. Let that be done first. Nothing is going to change any risk of worries of an upcoming cruise for anyone.

Marco's Tia, quite right, there are few facts known.

In answer to your question "Do you doubt that the lawyer is an ambulance-chaser?" Perhaps he is an ambulance chaser as you suggest, but yes, I do have my doubts that is the case - much as I have doubts about some whose posts sound like they're coming from cruise line plants.

Hopefully, no one is preventing the investigation from proceeding, nor should anyone be prevented from asking questions.

If your family were taking a voyage on this ship in the near future, would you not have concerns? If a family member was a crew member, would you not worry? Even if don't have concerns, why does it bother you that others ask questions about the fires ?

I bolded your statement & wonder if perhaps you are a plant for this "ambulance chaser"!:rolleyes:

I agree with others who believe the person who wrote this article is an ambulance chaser! He's a successful litigator who is well known in Fla.

IMO he's only trying to dig up dirt about the cruise industry, so his business will increase!

Marco'sTia expressed my thoughts too:

Quote I do agree with you, all I am saying - apart from the lawyer issue - is that, we - on an internet forum and not in possession of all facts - cannot already jump to the conclusion that there is some kind of cover-up. There are outside agencies investigating. Let that be done first. Nothing is going to change any risk of worries of an upcoming cruise for anyone. Unquote

Well said Marco's Tia

Edited by serendipity1499

I bolded your statement & wonder if perhaps you are a plant for this "ambulance chaser"!:rolleyes:

I agree with others who believe the person who wrote this article is an ambulance chaser! He's a successful litigator who is well known in Fla.

IMO he's only trying to dig up dirt about the cruise industry, so his business will increase!

Marco'sTia expressed my thoughts too:

Quote I do agree with you, all I am saying - apart from the lawyer issue - is that, we - on an internet forum and not in possession of all facts - cannot already jump to the conclusion that there is some kind of cover-up. There are outside agencies investigating. Let that be done first. Nothing is going to change any risk of worries of an upcoming cruise for anyone. Unquote

Well said Marco's Tia

serendipity, allow me to put your mind at rest: I am not a plant for anyone - not the attorney you are referring to, not for any cruise line or anyone connected in any way with the cruise industry. I recently sold my CCL stock so I have no vested financial interest in any cruise line.

Neither I nor any of my family members are employed by or have any connection with the cruise industry - other than being frequent passengers on cruise ships.

But thanks for thinking I have the talent to work for an attorney :D

Salacia

serendipity, allow me to put your mind at rest: I am not a plant for anyone - not the attorney you are referring to, not for any cruise line or anyone connected in any way with the cruise industry. I recently sold my CCL stock so I have no vested financial interest in any cruise line.

Neither I nor any of my family members are employed by or have any connection with the cruise industry - other than being frequent passengers on cruise ships.

But thanks for thinking I have the talent to work for an attorney :D

Salacia

Kind of funny that someone who was so quick to to say "My goodness I can't believe how some are assuming that there is or will be a cover-up" would then suggest that you were a "plant".

We can all draw our own conclusions.

Kind of funny that someone who was so quick to to say "My goodness I can't believe how some are assuming that there is or will be a cover-up" would then suggest that you were a "plant".

We can all draw our own conclusions.

Hey Sam, I never suggested he was a plant! Read his & my post again!

He started the accusations & suggested that some of us were "plants for the cruise industry".. From his post Quote much as I have doubts about some whose posts sound like they're coming from cruise line plants. Unquote

I then bolded & quoted his post & wondered if he might be a plant for the attorney, since he accused us of being plants for the cruise industry..

Agree you should draw you own conclusions after you get your facts straight!! /SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Hey Sam, I never suggested he was a plant! Read his & my post again!

He started the accusations & suggested that some of us were "plants for the cruise industry".. From his post Quote much as I have doubts about some whose posts sound like they're coming from cruise line plants. Unquote

I then bolded & quoted his post & wondered if he might be a plant for the attorney, since he accused us of being plants for the cruise industry..

Agree you should draw you own conclusions after you get your facts straight!! /SIZE]

Please, let this thread not be misdirected: we are taking about the fires that occurred on the Westerdam. To me, it isn't personal despite attempts to make it so: anyone is free to scroll up and read the thread. So thanks, Serendipity for drawing more attention to the important issue of the fires on this ship.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

....<SNIP>.... So thanks, Serendipity for drawing more attention to the important issue of the fires on this ship.

Salacia

AMEN!!! Especially for those returning today and those of us Boarding her today!!!

Joanie

Please, let this thread not be misdirected: we are taking about the fires that occurred on the Westerdam. To me, it isn't personal despite attempts to make it so: anyone is free to scroll up and read the thread. So thanks, Serendipity for drawing more attention to the important issue of the fires on this ship.

Salacia

Agree & apologize! I should not have become so offended..

Thought about it after a good nights sleep, & can assure you too that I'm also not a plant for the cruise industry..!

Lets shake hands. :o

I have chatted with my family at various times during the cruise, and I think they had a lovely time. They did not seem to be so disappointed with missing Sitka. They were just super grateful to be on the ship!:)

I really don't think there is any conspiracy or cover up. We had a fire alarm at 3am one morning for a reported fire in the hydro pool area. It was contained and all was well.

The ship never lost power, we never even went to stage 2 alarm (as I understand same on Westerdam) and we never felt we were in danger.

They went back to Seattle per Coast Guard and Lloyds Register requirements and to make sure all was well.

The ship didn't sit at sea for several days with people waving flags for help. I don't think most people know how many alarms happen on ships overall or how many planes turn around and land as a precaution. It's a floating city- s%$@ happens in a city.

If something major was wrong or at risk of failing they would not have sailed from Seattle the next day- easy at that. If anything any ship belonging to Carnival Companies will be overly cautious due to recent issues on their ships.

All the speculation and conjecture does is scare people that are booked on the ship unnecessarily. If I could I'd be there today with Joanie today in a "New York minute" loving every wonderful minute on board and laughing our way to Alaska!

I really don't think there is any conspiracy or cover up. We had a fire alarm at 3am one morning for a reported fire in the hydro pool area. It was contained and all was well.

The ship never lost power, we never even went to stage 2 alarm (as I understand same on Westerdam) and we never felt we were in danger.

They went back to Seattle per Coast Guard and Lloyds Register requirements and to make sure all was well.

The ship didn't sit at sea for several days with people waving flags for help. I don't think most people know how many alarms happen on ships overall or how many planes turn around and land as a precaution. It's a floating city- s%$@ happens in a city.

If something major was wrong or at risk of failing they would not have sailed from Seattle the next day- easy at that. If anything any ship belonging to Carnival Companies will be overly cautious due to recent issues on their ships.

All the speculation and conjecture does is scare people that are booked on the ship unnecessarily.

Exactly, that pretty much sums it all up.:)

We departed the Westerdam this morning. I am really surprised to see 29 pages on this thread now, haven't kept on on it because we were able to continue the cruise 18 hours or so late, we missed one port and many people we spoke with were disappointed because the chose this itinerary specifically for Sitka. I did not have any booked excursions for Sitka so It was not as big of a disappointment for us.

Arriving in Juneau 2 days later and at different scheduled times did give my DW some anxiety about our non ship tour and our ship excursion that kept being changed. BUT in the end HAL worked it out and we had a great whale watch tour with Harv and Marv (non ship tour) and the sea plane tour minus the salmon bake at Taku lodge due to the schedule.

Overall, my DW and I had a great experience for our first time with HAL. There was some small service issues on board, but overall it was exceptional. Glacier Bay was our primary reason for choosing this itinerary and ship and was worth it and really glad they did not skip that part.

Can someone please show me the written statement from CCL or Holland America explaining the details of the fire a week ago? Or the United States Coast Guard? We have a right to know.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

All the speculation and conjecture does is scare people that are booked on the ship unnecessarily. If I could I'd be there today with Joanie today in a "New York minute" loving every wonderful minute on board and laughing our way to Alaska!

I remember that well now that you mention it. It had us up and awake for the disembarkation day for sure. No going back to sleep after that. But----until you mentioned it here I had forgotten all about it. It was a non event.

Can someone please show me the written statement from CCL or Holland America explaining the details of the fire a week ago? Or the United States Coast Guard? We have a right to know.

Why not contact them directly? If you get some info you can let the rest of us know.

Why not contact them directly? If you get some info you can let the rest of us know.

No need... If they publish a statement, my google alert will notify me. Got to love technology! If I ever do read anything, I will be sure to share it here.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

<snip>

I have to disagree with your assumption. History has shown this not to be the case and very few people can discount that the entire Carnival Corp and its brands' reputations are seen to be embattled and fighting a safety record nightmare. Some pundits still fear that the organization has not yet learned what it needs to embrace safety in its operations and continues to put passengers at risk. These continued incidents do little to diminish these fears.

Well all I can say, it is good to see the Westerdam docked at Elliott Bay. In fact she is backing out right now to start her next 7 day cruise. Have a great two weeks Joanie and Crew News.

Edited by PathfinderEss

No need... If they publish a statement, my google alert will notify me. Got to love technology! If I ever do read anything, I will be sure to share it here.

:confused: Then why post here to ask if anyone else had seen a statement?

I have to disagree with your assumption. History has shown this not to be the case and very few people can discount that the entire Carnival Corp and its brands' reputations are seen to be embattled and fighting a safety record nightmare. Some pundits still fear that the organization has not yet learned what it needs to embrace safety in its operations and continues to put passengers at risk. These continued incidents do little to diminish these fears.

Well stated... and now Sapper and FrankC are sharing another unfortunate event on the Westerdam that adds as additional event to the list to wonder about safety and maintenance.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Well stated... and now Sapper and FrankC are sharing another unfortunate event on the Westerdam that adds as additional event to the list to wonder about safety and maintenance.

I don't believe it was the Westerdam that they were referring to, though. I understood they were on a different ship. Perhaps one or both can confirm.

We were on the Zuiderdam.

The United States Coast Guard will provide a report that will be available online, in hard copy from their offices, and/or from your United States Senator or member of the United States House of Representatives. All one has to do is to request such from your member of Congress. I requested such a report from my member of the House of Representatives for the Carnival Splendor situation and received the complete report.

It takes time for investiagtions to be done, conclusions to be made, and recommendations to be formulated. To think that the public is going to know "today" about what caused this unfortunate event of last week is unrealistic.

Such a report is not going to be available until sometime in the future. (Think 12-24 months.)

May I suggest to the moderators of Cruise Critic that this thread be closed? Continuing it does nothing to illuminate this unfortunate accident.