New to X and Veranda Stateroom Guarantee? Any Risk

heyabbott

We are looking to celebrate our 25th Anniversary on the Summit in August. This will be our 4th cruise, 1 on HAL, 2 on RC. We've never done a room guarantee.

Is there a risk involved? is it worth it?

Any X advise appreciated.

Thanks

Risk? Depends on your perspective and how picky you are.

Many people would be happy with any veranda cabin and for these there is no risk. There is a savings for taking a guarantee and possible reward if you're assigned a cabin which is higher than the minimum guarantee - something which happens but which you cannot count on.

But some people are pickier about cabin location. They might not like a cabin in some locations or with certain views and for them there is a risk. The risk comes up because when you select a guarantee you have to be ready to accept the least desirable cabin in the guaranteed category and some people are not.

There are two issues. One is that cabins in the 2C and 2D category have obstructed views from the balcony. The top of the lifeboats comes to the bottom of the balcony floor in 2Cs, and the top of the lifeboats comes to the top of the balcony railing in a 2-D. So there's always a risk that you could be assigned one of those cabins. The other risk would be location, either very far forward or very far aft. That may not be an issue for you. In any case, you will receive a balcony so there's no risk there.

There are two issues. One is that cabins in the 2C and 2D category have obstructed views from the balcony. The top of the lifeboats comes to the bottom of the balcony floor in 2Cs, and the top of the lifeboats comes to the top of the balcony railing in a 2-D. So there's always a risk that you could be assigned one of those cabins. The other risk would be location, either very far forward or very far aft. That may not be an issue for you. In any case, you will receive a balcony so there's no risk there.

Not a major issue on an M class ship where all the lifeboats are below the balconies, but all the middle section balconies on all decks do have their views down the side of the ship blocked by the lifeboats. However this is a very minor problem.

We have booked guarantees on over 50% of our cruises. We've had a 'proper' upgrade once - inside to outside and a couple of upgrades within the same category. We've never been dissapointed and have never had a problem. Depends how fussy you are, but if you are simply happy to be on the ship at a bargain price then you can't beat it.

Unless there was a huge price difference, I'd prefer to select my own cabin. On the Summit we had a 'sweet 16' cabin. They are the cheapest yet have a double size balcony. Ours was 6030, you can search these boards or use Google to see pictures.

The other 'risk' besides very far forward or aft (which may or may not matter to you), and obstruction, is location vis a vis what is above or below your cabin. There are few smoking areas on Celebrity ships, but there are a couple outside. If you are on the port side near one of these areas, the smoke can drift onto your balcony at times. Also, if you are under a noisy area (cafeteria, pool) it can be kind of loud at times. But again, 'risk' is a personal issue. What is a 'bad' cabin to some is no big deal to another.

Look at all the balcony cabins in the categories you are looking at (ie, all standard balconies) and one level up in case you get lucky and get upgraded, and decide if there are any you could not live with. If the answer is yes, you may want to pass the option by. Often, once you do get assigned a room, you can move to another room in that particular category (and probably any lower) if they are available. At least that is how it has been for most people.

Unless there was a huge price difference, I'd prefer to select my own cabin. On the Summit we had a 'sweet 16' cabin. They are the cheapest yet have a double size balcony. Ours was 6030, you can search these boards or use Google to see pictures.

We have stayed in this cabin as well. Very nice - we liked it a lot. Only issue is that if there is motion, it is felt more very far forward or aft. If we have to pick one location or the other, we prefer these because of the balcony, and also because the forward elevator areas tend to be a lot more quiet than the rear ones, with the exception of right before and after shows. We liked being able to zip right up to the T-pool (my favorite place on the ship), and the gym. The other disadvantage is the long walk to the cafeteria or dining room for meals, but after all that food we can use the exercise:)

Typically I always choose my cabin very carefully....but yesterday I booked a "suite" guarantee on Reflection. I understand the risks involved with this.....but in this case, wouldn't suite locations be pretty good? Also....is there a chance we would receive a handicap-accessible cabin? Would we be given one even though we don't need one? I was told the lowest-level cabin I'd receive is a Sky Suite (which is what I'm expecting).

TIA

Debbie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The price difference, as of today, is $420 for 2C to $620 for 2A

the first balcony cabin that we ever had was a guarantee on Princess. It was also during our 35 anniversary. We got a cabin with 4 beds that folded into the wall.

If you want to really make it a nice special cruise book a AQ cabin. It is a larger cabin with many perks, including a bottle of bubbly to welcome you on board, better linens, robes, towels, a nice shower panel, daily bottles of water, plus a nice dining area for breakfast and dinner.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Do bear in mind that once you are assigned your cabin number (which in our experience has occurred within a short time of booking the guarantee), you can call your TA and switch to any other available cabin within the same category. You can check online agencies to see what's available within your category and possibly move farther forward/aft according to your preference.

I'm sure this is an exception but we've booked verandah guarantees twice and received very nice cabins both times. It's very important to note that we went into both situations knowing we would be ok with a 2D!!! Don't book the guarantee if the idea of a 2D would make you not enjoy your trip! Life is short... love your vacation :)

We booked our first verandah this past month for the Aug. 26th Equinox cruise fully understanding that we may be assigned an obstructed view cabin or one not in a great location on ship. The price was too good to pass up, so we threw the dice and expected the worst. We were very pleasantly surprised to get a 1B assignment --it was in the forward section of the ship so we called Celebrity to see if we could move more midship within the same category. It was no problem at all and now we're in a 1B cabin on the hump, Deck 9. Good luck!