Deck Chairs on the Promenade on Royal Princess

drtravel47

I know the Royal doesn't have a wraparound deck which disappoints me. I love a leisurely stroll after dinner. However, I'm seeing mixed-messages as to whether any of the promenade which is opened has deck chairs. I like the quiet of sitting on the promenade without music or too many other people!

Thanks in advance.

There are comfortable loungers on the promenade. They are accessed on either side in the rear of the ship. There are about 8 lounges by the side doors and if you walk around to the aft there's a handful too. One side I think the starboard may have a smoking section. From the side door to the aft piece is only a short distance so there won't be much strolling.

The promenade deck 'porches' located amidships, accessed from Crooners or behind Facets, have chairs and tables arranged in seating groups.

The promenade deck aft, accessed through doors prior to entering the Vista Lounge, have the padded loungers.

Amidship area

11175142166_a56392eeae_c.jpg

11580573364_bd00c6f6b1_c.jpg

Aft area

11175141576_7df445652d_c.jpg

11270337634_6eed4f10a0_c.jpg

11314402236_d46585e615_c.jpg

And, unlike the ships with a true outside Promenade, there is no ceiling overhead to keep rain off and to provide shade.

This line of thinking just doesn't hold true anymore. There are at least a dozen ships across several mass market lines with exterior promenades that are completely exposed and no overhead.

:D

This line of thinking just doesn't hold true anymore. There are at least a dozen ships across several mass market lines with exterior promenades that are completely exposed and no overhead.

I was referring to the Princess fleet where the outside promenade is covered on all but the Regal and the Royal.

And, unlike the ships with a true outside Promenade, there is no ceiling overhead to keep rain off and to provide shade.

However there is a beautiful area called the Horizon Terrace which is covered. Great place to watch the sunset/sunrise on comfortable couches and chairs.

I know the Royal doesn't have a wraparound deck which disappoints me. I love a leisurely stroll after dinner. However, I'm seeing mixed-messages as to whether any of the promenade which is opened has deck chairs. I like the quiet of sitting on the promenade without music or too many other people!

Thanks in advance.

There is seating in most areas of the promenade deck. You will enjoy the ship, it's beautiful.

I was referring to the Princess fleet where the outside promenade is covered on all but the Regal and the Royal.

Check. ;)

As for 'promenades', they have varied over the last century. Some of the greatest transatlantic liners in history (Normandie, United States, Queen Elizabeth, France) had totally enclosed walkways (not really 'outside') with windows called 'promenade decks', and passengers enjoyed taking their 'promenade' to the next deck up for some sun and fresh air. Prior to this in the era of the four-stackers, most had 'sheltered' promenades with no windows. Still, folks enjoyed walking topside along the boat deck. But all of those ships had basically two promenade areas, enclosed/sheltered and topside. The only real 'liner' of today, the Queen Mary 2, has a promenade deck that is basically exposed to the elements with a 'ceiling' of lifeboats. You're not really fully protected like the prior examples of the enclosed/sheltered walkways.

Promenade decks have varied in width, length, coverage, completely enclosed or open, recessed to protect against the elements, and their types of usage.

With the change in the purpose of these ships (liners to cruising), and the advent of these new (?) safety regulations, we are seeing another 'evolution' in the definition of the 'promenade deck' where new build, mass-market, modern cruise ships have multi-purpose, completely exposed exterior promenades with jacuzzi hot tubs, restaurants, sun loungers, and a variety of seating areas. These are mostly on ships that are being built with the lifeboats extended out away from the hull alongside the ship.

Some of these new build cruise ships have exterior 'porch-like' areas with seating groups and loungers. They are on the ships that have their lifeboats deck mounted.

There are also brand new cruise ships like the Mein Schiff 3 with what appears to be even less promenade than what Royal Princess has.

And it looks like this design evolution is here to stay. I wouldn't expect any future new builds to ever have the promenade deck of the Grand-class or Vista-class again. This includes all future new builds for Princess Cruises.

Thanks Dave...another objective analysis by you. :)

THANKS. I know I went a bit off topic, but it responds to a couple of comments referring to what promenade decks were/are. There's a whole other thread with more commentary discussing the supposed 'come back' of the 'promenade deck'.

Edited by dmwnc1959

Check. ;)

As for 'promenades', they have varied over the last century. Some of the greatest transatlantic liners in history (Normandie, United States, Queen Elizabeth, France) had totally enclosed walkways (not really 'outside') with windows called 'promenade decks', and passengers enjoyed taking their 'promenade' to the next deck up for some sun and fresh air. Prior to this in the era of the four-stackers, most had 'sheltered' promenades with no windows. Still, folks enjoyed walking topside along the boat deck. But all of those ships had basically two promenade areas, enclosed/sheltered and topside. The only real 'liner' of today, the Queen Mary 2, has a promenade deck that is basically exposed to the elements with a 'ceiling' of lifeboats. You're not really fully protected like the prior examples of the enclosed/sheltered walkways.

Promenade decks have varied in width, length, coverage, completely enclosed or open, recessed to protect against the elements, and their types of usage.

With the change in the purpose of these ships (liners to cruising), and the advent of these new (?) safety regulations, we are seeing another 'evolution' in the definition of the 'promenade deck' where new build, mass-market, modern cruise ships have multi-purpose, completely exposed exterior promenades with jacuzzi hot tubs, restaurants, sun loungers, and a variety of seating areas. These are mostly on ships that are being built with the lifeboats extended out away from the hull alongside the ship.

Some of these new build cruise ships have exterior 'porch-like' areas with seating groups and loungers. They are on the ships that have their lifeboats deck mounted.

There are also brand new cruise ships like the Mein Schiff 3 with what appears to be even less promenade than what Royal Princess has.

And it looks like this design evolution is here to stay. I wouldn't expect any future new builds to ever have the promenade deck of the Grand-class or Vista-class again. This includes all future new builds for Princess Cruises.

Hi Dave,

I always enjoy your in depth comments. I'm so happy to read the positive reviews on the new Regal Princess. Dennis and I will be driving the Southern California coast instead of Spain due to extremely high airfares. Maybe I can get him on that Alaskan cruise yet. Happy 4th!