Trevi Fountain undergoing restoration

cruisemom42

At least they are working hard on this….. or so it looks. Maybe they will finish earlier than originally planned. Hope so - we have until late next April before we visit again….. this time with son and his wife. She has been - he has not.

Just read an article on the restoration in an Italian paper -- they say the work will be continuing until fall of 2015.

Look on the bright side -- if you go across the walkway, you'll have a chance to see the fountain close up which very few will ever have.

(small consolation, I know, if you haven't seen it before. But I'm actually looking forward to the "different" perspective on my next visit...)

We were there last week for our first visit, and it was a major disappointment. The Trevi Fountain was to be one of our personal highlights. The wife did toss a coin into the empty pool as this is something she had built herself up to do. Will make plans to return when it is completed.

Thank you for the photo. I know perhaps it isn't the most PC to admit this, but the photo made me laugh in sympathy at the look on her face. So you two totally brought a smile to my face about the Trevi undergoing renovation and our own upcoming visit while it is shut off. Along with the renovations on so many other things.

P.S. Her hair looks so nice. I imagine it was also hot and possibly humid, and well, even if disappointed, she has great hair. My own photo would look quite similar with a flat mess o hair.

Edited by travelpeon

You can see the ongoing status of the work on the fountain with this web cam: http://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/fontana-di-trevi.html

Thanks for this link! I suspect there's a "no stopping, no picture taking" thing going on, since the crowd is moving briskly over the catwalk and you know every single person must have a camera. Looks like there may be an official over on the right side of the straightaway moving folks along.

Yup, I just saw two people stop and the official came over to them....

Thanks for this link! I suspect there's a "no stopping, no picture taking" thing going on, since the crowd is moving briskly over the catwalk and you know every single person must have a camera. Looks like there may be an official over on the right side of the straightaway moving folks along.

Yup, I just saw two people stop and the official came over to them....

In the article I read, it mentioned that there are policemen there to keep the line moving along.

The article also said that by the end of this month, they would be able to increase the number of people (enlarge the walkway perhaps?) at a time that would be able to see the fountain up close.

• 4 weeks later...
This post is making me so sad!! I had NO idea, we will be visiting Rome for the first time at the end of September and this was one of my personal highlights I was looking forward to...oh no!

Don't let it ruin your day in Rome! There are still so many amazing and fantastic sites to see. It have us a great reason to go back someday in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been two Rome three times. The first two there was no water in the fountain. We were beginning to think that we would never see it with water. However, on our Med cruise in 2012 we were rewarded when we returned.

We have our 5th visit to Rome booked for next April/May…… all 4 previous visits we have been to the fountain and thrown our coins in - a highlight of each of my trips !

This time we will have son and daughter in law with us…. she has been to Rome once before and seen the fountain but he has not. Was really bummed to hear it would be in repair but he wasnt too concerned ;)

As posted; while this is disappointing there are soooo many other jewels to see and experience in this city, the feeling will pass quickly :D

We've been two Rome three times. The first two there was no water in the fountain. We were beginning to think that we would never see it with water. However, on our Med cruise in 2012 we were rewarded when we returned.

Clearly the wishing to return to Rome worked even without the water!

Yes, and my post (#16) addresses the Colosseum.

:confused:

Thank you. Actually even with the webcam view and one picture showing a portion of a wall it is hard to get a feel for how much is under scaffolding. I'm going to hunt around for more pictures :)