Really need internet for one day while cruising

Will be on the Glory last week in August, however, I will need to make final payment on another cruise Sept. 1st or 2nd. (Credit card promotion).

How bad is internet connection at sea? Would it be faster if I brought my laptop? We will be in Cozumel on the 2nd. I could probably lug my laptop around to try and find WIFI there, but I really don't want to do that.

I know some cruise lines offer packages for internet minutes. Does Carnival?

Or... I have Verizon. Would it be cheaper/faster to just call in my payment and pay international roaming charges?

Will be on the Glory last week in August, however, I will need to make final payment on another cruise Sept. 1st or 2nd. (Credit card promotion).

How bad is internet connection at sea? Would it be faster if I brought my laptop? We will be in Cozumel on the 2nd. I could probably lug my laptop around to try and find WIFI there, but I really don't want to do that.

Or... I have Verizon. Would it be cheaper/faster to just call in my payment and pay international roaming charges?

Most ports have coffee shop or something like that has free internet. Internet is slow but workable and can do it as pay as you go.

Call from your cabin. Its $1.99 per minute, but would probably be cheaper than using your cell phone. I've used the cabin several times to call home with no problem.

Edited by LRY229
corrected typo

Calls last week for us were $1.99 a minute to the US. The minutes add up quickly and it might be less expensive to just pay for online minutes as you go.

I would leave your laptop at home and just use Carnival's Internet Computer Room to log in and leave payment. You can do this at any time 24/7 so as you can spend your time in Cozumel without having to look for free wifi.

I just got back from Grand Turk and Nassau and I had 4 places that I could have gotten free wifi, I tried and was never able to connect to any of the free wifi although my daughter was able to on her iphone in Nassau. Just saying, free wifi may be available, but the strength was very poor.

Call from your cabin. Its $2.99 per minute, but would probably be cheaper than using your cell phone. I've used the cabin several times to call home with no problem.

Most of the ships are down to $1.99 a minute now in the cabin.

Also if it is a Carnival cruise sometime the CS will let you call from there phone at no charge.

Char

I use the internet for school while onboard, and it is slow, Using it for banking or financial transactions, I was able to transfer funds between accounts, or to see if scheduled bills had been paid or came out my account. The service in the internet cafes are spotty (IMHO) when using the ships PC's, or your own laptop. I have gotten better service on the Lido or deck above the Lido which is closer to the satellite (several of us found this out on the Breeze last summer). For paying off a cruise, it should not be that much of an issue with the internet service, but I would do it first thing in the morning before a lot of people got up, and started using it (I start at between 5:30 and 6:00). Another alternative would be to use the cabin phone to make the payment with a rep. I usually get an agent at Carnival within a minute or two after going through the prompts, but after they go through their greetings, spiel, security/pin verification, and reviewing the account, you can be 5-7 minutes into the call, and when they finish with the transaction, you can be up to ten minutes. I would try the internet first which would be a lot cheaper, and then use the ships phone as a backup.

If you go to the McD's in Nassau. good connection and free.

But why not just pay from home before you go? That way you won't be stressed about getting a connection or finding another way to pay?

If you are looking to get onto Carnival.com on your cruise you can use any computer and do anything on that site for FREE.

I had some down time on my recent cruise one evening and pulled out my Kindle and was looking at future cruises on Carnival's website.

No minutes and no connection is needed.

as others have posted the ships facilities will certainly be enough to get that done. I would NOT use any free Wi-Fi , let alone in the Caribbean to do any financial transaction . google man in the middle ...to easy to prevalent and in the Carib its a way of life for techies

You can set up your final payment to be made on your credit card automatically on the due date, and then you won't have to do anything. Just set it up with your PVP before you leave home and Carnival will take care of it from there. I've done this several times.

As others have said, Carnival.com is free in the internet cafe. Just go down, log onto Carnival.com, make your final payment. If that's the only thing you need to do, I wouldn't lug a laptop around just for that.

Waiting for the my CC got hacked while using free WiFi post!! Don't ever enter anything even a user name and PW over an unsecured network! But if you do please call my guys we make a lot of money fixing stupid ;).

I might trust carnivals free wifi while on the ship to pay for your cruise.

Why not have the cruise automatically charged to your CC? That's what I always do so I don't have to think about it.

The internet on the ship has 2 speeds, slow and slower. They do sell packages but I have found that it eats up those minutes because it is so slow.

Waiting for the my CC got hacked while using free WiFi post!! Don't ever enter anything even a user name and PW over an unsecured network! But if you do please call my guys we make a lot of money fixing stupid ;).

I might trust carnivals free wifi while on the ship to pay for your cruise.

If "your guys" "fix it," then you would know it isn't hacking and can happen over a secured network. Ever heard of Cain and Abel? It can happen over Carnival's own WiFi as well, provided someone onboard is packet sniffing.

Edited by Disconnections

There is definitely free internet access at Starbucks or one of those type of venues in Cozumel...I can't remember which but I do remember using it.

If you check the Cozumel/port of call section I am sure someone would be able to tell you exactly where.

Have a great cruise

Good to know that Carnival.com is free on the ships!!! I guess that is the one website I never go to while cruising!!

Instead of connecting to "Carnival-WiFi," you can join the hidden network "crewwifi" and have unlimited complimentary access to most airline websites and many domestic banking websites.

Also, if you need multiple computers connected at the same time, you can bridge your connections and have two computers browsing at the same time, using the same minutes. As an example, instead of a total of 200 minutes, it would only be 100.

Edited by Disconnections

Confused as to why you can't just do this before you leave? :confused:

Seems like a hassle to do it onboard with what has been reported to be very slow and unreliable Internet.

I meant to say most bars and restaurants in Cozumel have wifi if you buy something. You can also buy a calling card at any of the little grocery type stores. It's around $10 for 30 minutes of talk time.