any solo cruiser have luck with double obc or drink cards?

jenp123

The drink card is a promotion. A "gift", if you will. It's not part of your fare or a permanent amenity in your cabin. It's an "offer", an "extra". So just say thank you and have fun drinking your $50 worth. I was embarrassed for the people thinking about how to trick HAL into giving them another drink card by pretending they were not traveling solo. (You also have to pay port charges for that "pretend" booking, BTW) I just think this whole conversation is so silly. (So why am I sitting here typing in this thread, you might very well ask! :)

I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't say it was right to pay double and get no double benefits. I said "solo pricing" is just that - the price for one person in a cabin. Most times it happens to be the same as two people, but I don't believe that's how it's quoted. It is quoted as the "solo traveler fare." If that fare is 150% - what happens to the benefits? What if it's 175%?

Hopefully I have made my point a little clearer. Personally I think the confusion is that most passengers say "I paid for two, but I'm just one" when in reality they didn't pay for two passengers - they paid the "solo cruiser" fare.

So are you saying most solo cruisers aren't bright enough to calculate that they are being changed double. I think most people are capable of doing that. The OP said the price was double so I believe they gleaned that from somewhere. I can't remember when I was charged less than 200 per cent. I'm an accountant so I have a really easy time calculating what X times two is.

I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't say it was right to pay double and get no double benefits. I said "solo pricing" is just that - the price for one person in a cabin. Most times it happens to be the same as two people, but I don't believe that's how it's quoted. It is quoted as the "solo traveler fare." If that fare is 150% - what happens to the benefits? What if it's 175%?

Hopefully I have made my point a little clearer. Personally I think the confusion is that most passengers say "I paid for two, but I'm just one" when in reality they didn't pay for two passengers - they paid the "solo cruiser" fare.

Very well said. I will be traveling solo on Maasdam in a couple of weeks, and personally I think I'm getting a LOT for my extra solo fare. A huge bed to myself, solitude, nobody to share the bathroom with, peace and quiet to contemplate the meaning of life... oh wait that's not the topic of this thread, sorry. What I meant to say is: I don't feel I'm paying for the privilege of getting everything two people would get. I will not be exerting my "right" to stretch out on 2 seats in a crowded theater or tender, for example! Just sayin'....

Edited by Moriah

The drink card is a promotion. A "gift", if you will. It's not part of your fare or a permanent amenity in your cabin. It's an "offer", an "extra". So just say thank you and have fun drinking your $50 worth. I was embarrassed for the people thinking about how to trick HAL into giving them another drink card by pretending they were not traveling solo. (You also have to pay port charges for that "pretend" booking, BTW) I just think this whole conversation is so silly. (So why am I sitting here typing in this thread, you might very well ask! :)

I make a point of never calling a thread silly. I find that really disrespectful to the posters.

I make a point of never calling a thread silly. I find that really disrespectful to the posters.

Point taken, CC. Not defending my rudeness, but I do want to say I didn't think the thread was silly, just the conversation about trying to pull one over on HAL by pretending to bring a second passenger in order to get double promotions. Still, you were right to comment on my lack of grace.:o

Very well said. I will be traveling solo on Maasdam in a couple of weeks, and personally I think I'm getting a LOT for my extra solo fare. A huge bed to myself, solitude, nobody to share the bathroom with, peace and quiet to contemplate the meaning of life... oh wait that's not the topic of this thread, sorry. What I meant to say is: I don't feel I'm paying for the privilege of getting everything two people would get. I will not be exerting my "right" to stretch out on 2 seats in a crowded theater or tender, for example! Just sayin'....

That's wonderful that you feel that way but I often wonder why everyone has to feel the same way. I often see posters being ridiculed for expressing a different opinion, often from the same posters. No wonder people leave the Hal boards. It sure would be nice if posters were welcomed instead of chasing them away.

That's wonderful that you feel that way but I often wonder why everyone has to feel the same way. I often see posters being ridiculed for expressing a different opinion, often from the same posters. No wonder people leave the Hal boards. It sure would be nice if posters were welcomed instead of chasing them away.

Of course everyone doesn't have to feel the same way... I still feel a little funny about "welcoming" people who are trying to think up scams to squeeze extra promotional gifts from a cruise line... but okay, I guess that's just me. I really didn't mean to stir anything up. I was just stating my opinion about being a solo cruiser... actually had gotten off the "offensive" topic and moved on. Somehow this thread seems to have stirred up some emotions. I think for my part, I just *love* HAL and always like to think positive and be appreciative rather than try to "get something" from them. But again, you are right, everyone has opinions and that's what the forum is for, in addition to being a place to share information. Having been a forum moderator on another very busy forum (not about cruising) for many years, I am very cognizant of how easy it is to get derailed. So I apologize for any part I played in the derailment.

Yes, but I'm willing to bet we make less mess.

I am sure some singles (not you!) can be real pigs and some doubles can be really neat (hey, I read about people making their own beds), so I guess it is a wash. :)

If a couple removes their hsc would they have to turn in their beverage card?

I don't get the connection...

Edited by Boytjie

Of course everyone doesn't have to feel the same way... I still feel a little funny about "welcoming" people who are trying to think up scams to squeeze extra promotional gifts from a cruise line... but okay, I guess that's just me. I really didn't mean to stir anything up. I was just stating my opinion about being a solo cruiser... actually had gotten off the "offensive" topic and moved on. Somehow this thread seems to have stirred up some emotions. I think for my part, I just *love* HAL and always like to think positive and be appreciative rather than try to "get something" from them. But again, you are right, everyone has opinions and that's what the forum is for, in addition to being a place to share information. Having been a forum moderator on another very busy forum (not about cruising) for many years, I am very cognizant of how easy it is to get derailed. So I apologize for any part I played in the derailment.

It's not about trying to get something. It's about being treated fairly and respectfully when paying the price that a couple pays. If the price was anything less than a couple would pay then that would be unreasonable. I've been on this board for years and some posters are always treating solos like we are second class citizens that should be glad that Hal lets us cruise with them. I can't tell you how many times I've heard how cheap singles are. I'd match my onboard account with any couple. You could say this is a huge sore point for me, and for good reason.

It's not about trying to get something. It's about being treated fairly and respectfully when paying the price that a couple pays. If the price was anything less than a couple would pay then that would be unreasonable. I've been on this board for years and some posters are always treating solos like we are second class citizens that should be glad that Hal lets us cruise with them. I can't tell you how many times I've heard how cheap singles are. I'd match my onboard account with any couple. You could say this is a huge sore point for me, and for good reason.

I can't agree with you more. If someone pays double because of the single supplement, then it is only fair that they get all the benefits of two passengers. However, it then follows that they would have to pay double the tips, so you would have to weigh up your options. But I am puzzled as to the popular belief that singles spend less onboard - I bet if Holland did some kind of survey they would find that is definitely not true. There were quite a few singles on our cruise, and they had no problem spending lots of moolah.:D

But I am puzzled as to the popular belief that singles spend less onboard - I bet if Holland did some kind of survey they would find that is definitely not true. There were quite a few singles on our cruise' date=' and they had no problem spending lots of moolah.:D[/quote']

I suspect that whether singles spend more/mess less etc vs doubles is mere speculation and nobody knows for sure.

I suspect that whether singles spend more/mess less etc vs doubles is mere speculation and nobody knows for sure.

I'm pretty certain none of US can definitively know, but I'd be willing to wager HAL does track it and formulates their policy regarding solo cruisers accordingly. (I say this as a solo cruiser.)

I'm sure there are solo cruisers who spend lavishly. And I'm sure there are others who do not. I certainly don't spend a lot onboard any cruise other than the basic fare. I don't take ship tours, I generally book an inside cabin and I don't go to specialty restaurants, don't drink much, and don't buy much onboard. And I talk to other solos who are frugal as well as to those who aren't -- just like I talk to couples who spend a lot and those who don't.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for some), HAL can't adjust their pricing based on INDIVIDUAL expenditures onboard. They have to look at the aggregate.

I was under the impression the Solo Fare was based on each individual cruise. Some are 100% others 50% still others 75% the regular double occupancy cruise fare. So, do you only want the double wine allowance and beverage cards for those cruises where you only pay truly the full price of two in a cabin, but don't mind not getting the double allowance or beverage card if you don't pay the full 100% solo fare?

Admittedly, I'm on the other side of the story. With a family of 5 if we aren't traveling with friends or family who are willing to take the odd man out, we'll have to pay First and Second rates for 4 out of 5 of our family because we'll need two rooms (assuming we continue to cruise with HAL when other lines have cabins for 5 ;) ). Then we only get the "booking incentives" for the adults even though we are truly paying for 4 full rate passengers because kids don't "count" when it comes to beverage cards ;)

I was under the impression the Solo Fare was based on each individual cruise. Some are 100% others 50% still others 75% the regular double occupancy cruise fare. So, do you only want the double wine allowance and beverage cards for those cruises where you only pay truly the full price of two in a cabin, but don't mind not getting the double allowance or beverage card if you don't pay the full 100% solo fare?

Admittedly, I'm on the other side of the story. With a family of 5 if we aren't traveling with friends or family who are willing to take the odd man out, we'll have to pay First and Second rates for 4 out of 5 of our family because we'll need two rooms (assuming we continue to cruise with HAL when other lines have cabins for 5 ;) ). Then we only get the "booking incentives" for the adults even though we are truly paying for 4 full rate passengers because kids don't "count" when it comes to beverage cards ;)

I'd like to challenge you to find those cruises where the supp is less than 100 percent. Unless they were longer cruises, and to far away places I think you'd find there are very few. I always take a balcony and I'd love to see you find any cruises that are less than 200 percent. I don't believe that there will be any.

But you are paying the price of two people:rolleyes::confused:. Would you be ok sharing a card with who you cruise with? Singles pay the same amount as you. Why should they be treated differently?

I wouldn't have to share with another person. That would be 2 people and we would receive 2 cards. :rolleyes:

Where did I say it was the deciding point on a cruise? Kindly don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't attribute those words to you. I made a comment, which for some unknown reason you have decided I had attributed to you.

I didn't attribute those words to you. I made a comment, which for some unknown reason you have decided I had attributed to you.

Since you quoted me I think the conclusion is that you are "talking" to me. If not, why not quote the poster that you are referring to?

Since you quoted me I think the conclusion is that you are "talking" to me. If not, why not quote the poster that you are referring to?

Just because you think I am talking to you doesn't mean I have attributed all that is in my post as coming from you. That is not how forum postings work.

I am expressing my own opinion, that is what forums are for.

And my opinion remains the same, if you don't like the market offering, don't buy the product.

Just because you think I am talking to you doesn't mean I have attributed all that is in my post as coming from you. That is not how forum postings work.

I am expressing my own opinion, that is what forums are for.

And my opinion remains the same, if you don't like the market offering, don't buy the product.

Maybe that's how forums that you normally deal with work but generally here it's not that way. I bow to your experience of 12 posts here.

Maybe that's how forums that you normally deal with work but generally here it's not that way. I bow to your experience of 12 posts here.

12posts or 13000 doesn't change the way conversations work.

However, there are some decidedly touchy people on this forum, along with a lot of more rational ones.

I'd like to challenge you to find those cruises where the supp is less than 100 percent. Unless they were longer cruises, and to far away places I think you'd find there are very few. I always take a balcony and I'd love to see you find any cruises that are less than 200 percent. I don't believe that there will be any.

I'm not a TA, and don't have much time to do dummy bookings, but here is a great thread where many have posted that they got bookings for only 150% more than the double occupancy rate. Someone even posted a 2016 cruise with fares.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056712&highlight=solo+cruising

Oh, but I see you've already posted in this thread. So you do know that the Solo Supplement changes depending on itinerary and cabin category. If you chose to book a balcony cabin you know you can save money by booking outside or inside. That's your choice.

So, then, my original question has yet to be answered. Do you (plural "you" not directed only at CC) only want the double wine allowance and beverage cards for those cruises where you only pay truly the full price of two in a cabin, but don't mind not getting the double allowance or beverage card if you pay less than the full 200% solo fare?

Edited by AlohaPride

I'm not a TA, and don't have much time to do dummy bookings, but here is a great thread where many have posted that they got bookings for only 150% more than the double occupancy rate. Someone even posted a 2016 cruise with fares.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056712&highlight=solo+cruising

Oh, but I see you've already posted in this thread. So you do know that the Solo Supplement changes depending on itinerary and cabin category. If you chose to book a balcony cabin you know you can save money by booking outside or inside. That's your choice.

So, then, my original question has yet to be answered. Do you (plural "you" not directed only at CC) only want the double wine allowance and beverage cards for those cruises where you only pay truly the full price of two in a cabin, but don't mind not getting the double allowance or beverage card if you pay less than the full 200% solo fare?

Yes, I've been around cc for a very long time and have been cruising even longer. Yes, it is my choice to go with a balcony just like other people choose to have several children and have to get more than one room. One poster on this thread was telling me that the single supp is less than 200% on a NA cruise when it wasn't. I'm assuming there might be one or two cruises with less then 200% (maybe) but it certainly isn't a lot. That said, it appears that people are confused about what 200% or 150% is. I thought it was pretty straight forward. I'm not going to post on this thread again because it seems some folks want to have the last word no matter what (not you).

12posts or 13000 doesn't change the way conversations work.

However, there are some decidedly touchy people on this forum, along with a lot of more rational ones.

Surreyman - if you quote someone, just as I am quoting you here - then it is safe to say you are responding to that quote. Cruz chic was correct in believing you were addressing her. That's how it works here.