tulip time river cruise

pghbabe

What is the ideal week to go? I am considering Avalon because it seems the rooms are larger and the price is less. How does it compare to other river cruise lines and HOW is the food?

What is the ideal week to go? I am considering Avalon because it seems the rooms are larger and the price is less. How does it compare to other river cruise lines and HOW is the food?

We went on a Tulip Time this past April 5th (on another line) and it was early in the season but, due to their mild winter, Keukenhof was 85% in bloom and gorgeous!

Avalon is a respected cruise line with many fans. You need to compare the inclusions and features that matter to YOU and compare.

We found the Panorama cabins on their newer ships to be well designed and comfortable, with very nice bathrooms.

The cruise managers on our 4 cruises with them were efficient and professional.

Food is subjective. We were impressed on our first Avalon cruise, and disappointed on our last.

Edited by caviargal

I have been on two Tulips and Windmills river cruises with Viking, once in 2006 and once in 2014 (March to April 2nd).

We had a great time on both.

I have also been on the Rhine river and in China with Viking. I am happy with them.

The general advice is that Keukenhof is at peak bloom around April 15, but as caviargal noted this year was early (and some years are late). There's also the issue that it may rain on the day your cruise goes there.

I've been struggling with this same timing issue, and have decided that the best way is: (a) choose an itinerary that goes roundtrip from/to Amsterdam and (b) schedule your flights 1-2 days before and after the cruise. That way you have multiple opportunities to see Keukenhof when it is in full bloom and on a day when the weather is good.

We took a Vantage river cruise in the Netherlands and Belgium a few years ago in April. It was a terrific cruise and quite economical. There were only 4 optional excursions-all the rest were included. We were given 15 euros each for lunch when we were all day-Bruges and Keukenhof Gardens. The gardens are spectacular! We booked directly through Vantage as they do not use travel agents. Good luck!

In general the best time for visiting Keukenhof is the last week of April and the 1st week of May.

But this year flowers bloomed about 2 weeks earlier, the year before however they bloomed about 2-3 weeks later. It really depends on the temperatures in spring.

Keukenhof also always has a great display in their greenhouse, so you will see flowers there too.

We did a 7 night Tulip Time cruise with AMA several years ago in mid April. We flew to Amsterdam several days early, as the cruise did not really have time scheduled to tour the city. We went to Keukenhof on our own (Very easy to due via bus.) on one of those days. A week later we went back on the cruise tour. It was fun to see the changes in just one week. We hoped one of the two days would be sunny, but we got lucky and both were. In fact the whole cruise we had beautiful weather.

I just came back from a Tulip Time cruise on the AMA AMAPrima, and it was a terrific experience. Since Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities, I also stayed there for a couple of days after the cruise, and I stayed in Paris for 3 days prior to embarkation. Taking a train from Paris to Amsterdam is trivial and inexpensive, and it allows for a more rewarding vacation.

Here's the link to my photos of the trip:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115520979706388828246/61AmaprimaTulipTime41514?authkey=Gv1sRgCK6F4PjUyoe2jQE

Sergio

• 4 weeks later...
I just came back from a Tulip Time cruise on the AMA AMAPrima, and it was a terrific experience. Since Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities, I also stayed there for a couple of days after the cruise, and I stayed in Paris for 3 days prior to embarkation. Taking a train from Paris to Amsterdam is trivial and inexpensive, and it allows for a more rewarding vacation.

Here's the link to my photos of the trip:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115520979706388828246/61AmaprimaTulipTime41514?authkey=Gv1sRgCK6F4PjUyoe2jQE

Sergio

Cruisingmad, your pictures are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!! We are trying to decide between the tulip cruise or the Rhine for 2015, and I think you just helped me decide!! The cruise starts on 5/6/15, so I hope the weather will allow for some beautiful blooms!:)

The general advice is that Keukenhof is at peak bloom around April 15, but as caviargal noted this year was early (and some years are late). There's also the issue that it may rain on the day your cruise goes there.

I've been struggling with this same timing issue, and have decided that the best way is: (a) choose an itinerary that goes roundtrip from/to Amsterdam and (b) schedule your flights 1-2 days before and after the cruise. That way you have multiple opportunities to see Keukenhof when it is in full bloom and on a day when the weather is good.

That is excellent advice. This is why I love CC. You can pick up helpful tips even if just browsing.

In general the best time for visiting Keukenhof is the last week of April and the 1st week of May.

But this year flowers bloomed about 2 weeks earlier, the year before however they bloomed about 2-3 weeks later. It really depends on the temperatures in spring.

Keukenhof also always has a great display in their greenhouse, so you will see flowers there too.

That's when we went and the flowers were magnificent. The day we went to Keukenhof, however, was bright, sunny and only about 45 degrees! But we didn't mind and they have delicious soups in the restaurants to warm you up. I would never go to Amsterdam without a fleece or light down vest. It's too unpredictable.