Hawaiian Cultural Program, Fall/Winter 2014/2015

helenb

I did a search and couldn't find anything recent on this. Does anyone know if Elua or Mahani E have been booked on the Hawaiian cruises this fall/winter? Since these cruises won't be going continuously, I'm a little worried that our holiday cruise on the Star won't have a cultural program. We enjoyed Elua so much on our previous Hawaiian cruise, and that is one of the main reasons we booked this one!

So... any word?

I called Princess about this and was told it will be September or October before they know who will be where -- we sailed with Makani E in March of this year -- they did a great job and we thoroughly enjoyed them. We are on the Star in February 2015 and are hopeful that one of the groups will be on board. Anxiously waiting to hear!

We enjoyed Elua. I haven never sailed with Makani E, but I would be fine with them as well. I just want to make sure that the Hawaiian cultural program will be happening!

Ses320, your comment makes it sound like Princess was 'confirming' that there would be a cultural program on the ships? That's a good sign!

Left out the important part of what I was told -- September/October is when they look at the budget -- I guess I just can't believe they won't have someone on all the Hawaii cruises. Getting impatient!!

I called Princess about this and was told it will be September or October before they know who will be where -- we sailed with Makani E in March of this year -- they did a great job and we thoroughly enjoyed them. We are on the Star in February 2015 and are hopeful that one of the groups will be on board. Anxiously waiting to hear!

Considering that the Grand heads off to Hawaii for a sailing on Oct 2, you would think the decision would be made earlier than that No matter which of the two duos are assigned that ship, they would want time to make whatever arrangements to secure their homes and get packed.

That is really disconcerting. Our final payment for our December cruise will be due in September and we were really hoping to hear if Elua will be onboard before we made final payment, as we have sailed with Dave and Leialoha 9 times now and they add a great deal of enjoyment to our cruise experience. I'm sure the other couple is also quite lovely and talented, but we really enjoy Elua.

I guess I can see them not releasing that info publicly (we are probably the only people weird enough to care about something like this) but it seems awful unfair to both Hawaiian Cultural Ambassador duos to be so last minute with notifications to them. How are they supposed to plan their work schedules and home related issues (pet sitting, house sitting, etc.) if they don't find out until so late?

Edited by Waimea'sMom

I guess I can see them not releasing that info publicly (we are probably the only people weird enough to care about something like this) but it seems awful unfair to both Hawaiian Cultural Ambassador duos to be so last minute with notifications to them.

I suspect the reason for not knowing yet is the schedule difference between the coming season and the past.

In the past, for example on the Star this past year, all the ship did for the season was the Hawaii itinerary.

For the coming season November-March, the Star has 5 cruises with other itineraries intermixed with the Hawaii voyages. Princess may be figuring out what to do with the scheduling of the duo during the 47 days the ship is not doing the Hawaii run.

I suspect the reason for not knowing yet is the schedule difference between the coming season and the past.

In the past, for example on the Star this past year, all the ship did for the season was the Hawaii itinerary.

For the coming season November-March, the Star has 5 cruises with other itineraries intermixed with the Hawaii voyages. Princess may be figuring out what to do with the scheduling of the duo during the 47 days the ship is not doing the Hawaii run.

Does any one know (speculate) why Princess has decided to mix up the ships? (that being a rhetorical question: bottom line is the dollars). It was my understanding that Princess really had the Hawaiian Cultural Experience locked down with the very best program amongst all the cruise lines that cruised to the islands (including NCL).

I do not know Makani E, but I know that Dave Cole and Elua put an enormous amount of effort into their voyages to make it the best experience possible. I am really impressed with Dave Cole's knowledge of the islands and his lectures are outstanding.

In my opinion, Princess is messing with what was once a very good thing. I hope they understand the ramifications of making such changes. Just read the boards. You have many repeat cruisers on this itinerary.

Does any one know (speculate) why Princess has decided to mix up the ships? (that being a rhetorical question: bottom line is the dollars). It was my understanding that Princess really had the Hawaiian Cultural Experience locked down with the very best program amongst all the cruise lines that cruised to the islands (including NCL).

It could be that they had trouble filling the ships with passengers without lowering prices.

I am noticing that the prices are about $1,000.00 more per person this year that what we paid last year.

The combination of Dave Cole and Elua is really magnificent. We tremendously enjoyed our cruise with them.

I do not know Makani E, but I know that Dave Cole and Elua put an enormous amount of effort into their voyages to make it the best experience possible. I am really impressed with Dave Cole's knowledge of the islands and his lectures are outstanding.

In my opinion, Princess is messing with what was once a very good thing. I hope they understand the ramifications of making such changes. Just read the boards. You have many repeat cruisers on this itinerary.

So in agreement with you. Whenever someone asks about sea days on the two-week cruises, there's many of us who point to the cultural program and say that many of us keep retaking this itinerary for the wonderful activities. On what other itinerary and cruiseline is there such an itinerary-specific set of activities (and certainly the bias port talks don't count as far as I'm concerned).

On what other itinerary and cruiseline is there such an itinerary-specific set of activities (and certainly the bias port talks don't count as far as I'm concerned).

Alaska cruises come close.

Ditto. I've done the Princess Hawaii run 10 times from LA (9 of them with Elua) and the NCL Pride of America a few times as well. There is truly no comparison between the two Cultural programs. For starters, there is no ukulele on the Pride (or wasn't the last time I took it). The hula is also a lot more basic with very goofy songs -- the ambassador was a very nice man, but he doesn't do the lectures or the extent of the cultural stuff Princess did. The only thing better culture wise was the orchid lei making -- that was WAY better than on Princess. But otherwise, it was not even close.

I am so disappointed they changed the number of sailings -- even into next year. I also notice the prices are MUCH higher than they used to be -- probably due to scarcity of this itinerary. I currently have bookings for both December and February on this itinerary but I agree, I think they are messing with a good thing. And if it means the two duos are unable to be there, it will be even more of a letdown -- these boards are filled with folks singing their praises.

That being said, I'm still fingers crossed for Elua on the Grand...perhaps they can get a well deserved break back home in Hawaii on those breaks in the sailings.

We have our 7th Hawaii cruise booked this December on the Grand. We have been on cruises with Elua (they're great) but, after hearing good things about the othe duo, Makani E, it sounds like I'd be happy with them, also.

For me, the most important person adding to the Hawaii experience is David Cole, the CD. Due to his love of Hawaii, he made the program what it is and he continues to elevate the experience for everyone. I've sailed with David Cole as CD with and without Elua. If I could only have one, I'd choose him and enjoy whichever duo was on with him.

I understand that Elua wanted to sail from L/A this year. This might have some influence as to what ships they will be on. I'm on the Grannd on 4 Dec 14 and I hape Elua will be on also. I sailed with her twice on the Golden.:)