If you had a choice......What would you do?

I enjoy cruising,only low prices make it possible to do 3 a year. I book with an agency that rewards loyalty. I can't afford Europe or Australia so I leave from NY, no costly travel.

Twice a year in a balcony.

Not what you asked, but I would do neither. We tried an inside and thought it was horrible and vowed never again (well, it was a promenade room....so I imagine an inside would be even worse). We also just cruised in an owners suite. That was very nice, but we got a great deal (price of a typical balcony).

We spend the majority of our time in the room. We don't swim, we don't drink, we don't sun tan. We don't much like interacting with strangers (outside of dinner).

We enjoy reAding books on our balcony, playing card games together, watching movies together, catching up on much needed sleep, etc. We venture out for meals, trivia, and shows.

So, for us, a balcony is a necessity. We only have time to cruise twice a year (the rest of the year's vacations are land trips), so it works out well for us to book balconies or suites.

90% of the time we're in a junior suite due to price drops/upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no right answer I think but for us a balcony is a must. We enjoy the privacy of the balcony and enjoy reading or just watch the sea.

We stayed in an inside/promenade cabin a few years ago on a port intensive mediterranean cruise with 31 family members so that was OK because we all had the same kind of cabin and were off the ship for long tours every day, but as soon as the family got off we switched to our aft balcony for the consecutive cruise. I do not know what the future will bring but for the time being no insides, so that limits our amount of cruises yearly as we also always have to fly to get on a ship.

Happy 4th of July to all across the pond!

Too many factors at play for me to answer one or the other. I live in Florida, have a pool and use it, and get to drive to the ports for last minute deals.

Am I going solo or sharing?

Is it a 3/4 night cruise 1 or no sea days?

Am I going out of Port Canaveral? No cost for parking and 2 gallons of gas to drop me off and pick me up.

Am I scuba diving?

The price?

If it is a 7 or more nights, I will scuba dive, there will be sea days so a balcony is a must. Dive gear makes the room smell like the beach all cruise.

I usually only book balconies that are big enough for a lounge chair on 6 or more nights as I read and fall asleep out there on sea days. And after my dive.

Since I use my pool from the end of May through October, pools on ships aren't a big draw to me and I've had two melanomas so I can't be in the sun.

I live very frugally so I can cruise and scuba dive as much as possible.

Monday will be my first cruise that is 5 nights in an inside. But, I'm going solo, so I'll survive. The price was too good to pass up for an inside and since I'm diving, I have to go solo if I'm in an inside.

If it wasn't for diving in Roatan, I wouldn't take a 5 nighter in an inside. But I really want to dive this port.

The room is going to smell like the beach with my dive gear in there and I need the other bed for my gear. Lol

I'll have taken 8 cruises this year by September 1st. (4 JS's 1 balcony and 3 insides)

It pays to drive an old car, have old furniture, only basic cable, very few new clothes (only 3 new items so far this year)

Etc...

So, bottom line ..... It all depends on lots of factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We only have limited vacation, so can only go once a year anyway. We go suite. We've done 2 GS and have JS booked for this year and next.

We like long cruises (10 or 11 nights), and I spend quite a bit of time in the room and love the space.

It always seems like people who have inside cabins always say they don't spend much time in the cabin so they think a balcony is a waste of money. If I was in an inside cabin I wouldn't spend much time in there either!! Why would you...it's like a cave, and you know the ocean is just outside the door and a few decks away!

We spend a fair amount of time in our cabin when we have a balcony. Either sitting on the balcony, or napping on the bed with the door open and that wonderful breeze and ocean sounds drifting in. Even sleeping with the balcony door open if the temperatures are nice. Being able to see where we are going and where we have been, seeing the weather, checking the temperatures....all in your jammies (or less) if you want! We love it!

The cabin means little to us, so a suite is unnecessary, but a balcony is a must!

We have had balcony cabins and still spend very little time in them. You say the cabin means little to you for others a balcony means little to them. So what is your point? There really is no need to build up your own preferences by knocking someone elses.

Edited by Ocean Boy

We have had balcony cabins and still spend very little time in them. You say the cabin means little to you for others a balcony means little to them. So what is your point? There really is no need to build up your own preferences by knocking someone elses.

^^This :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not sure who I was knocking. I have an opinion, and I made an observation. How is my saying that I wouldn't want to spend any time in an inside room any different than those people saying they had a balcony and didn't use it.

Is what I said so offensive to people in general that you couldn't control yourself from attacking me personally? That's sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the balcony people would rather cruise 1x a year vs 2-3 times in an inside? Cause that's the gist of the question.

I don't really care what room I'm in if it's by an elevator. I do 'prefer' a balcony but sometimes I just like to feel I'm getting a deal so I choose an inside. No worries about weather, bad food, or someone getting sick at the last minute because I paid so little.

No interest in suites, but a balcony is a must! We tend to cruise 2-3 times a year in the least expensive balcony cabin! We have to have our own personal area of outdoors on a cruise!

I couldn't agree more. Even if I don't step out on the balcony, the fact that it is there (with floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall window) opens up the whole room and makes it seem bigger. I pause frequently and just stand there in the middle of the sitting area by the window looking outside.

I cruise to "see the sea". I want to see it when I first wake up, see it every time I stop in my room for some little item I neglected to take with me on my way to some shipboard event, and see it just before I crawl under the covers at night.

I did tour the panoramic OV cabins on a recent cabin crawl and asked myself if that would do for me ... but then I went back to my cabin and planted myself in front of my sliding glass doors looking out and there was just no comparison. The loss of the balcony would lessen the overall experience too much for me.

Another vote for the balcony cabin. So add 2 cruises in a balcony, some years that is close to what we do.

If I'm traveling with my husband we have to pay for dog care and that is not cheap. Plus, there are so many more expenses involved for us non-Floridians:

1. Cost to drive or fly.

2. Cost to park at the airport if we fly.

3. Cost of ground transportation if we fly.

4. Hotel when we get there

5. Parking at the port

6. Meals to and from when traveling

On some of our shorter cruises the travel costs are more than our actual cruise price. :eek:

Edited by temple1

So the balcony people would rather cruise 1x a year vs 2-3 times in an inside? Cause that's the gist of the question.

I don't really care what room I'm in if it's by an elevator. I do 'prefer' a balcony but sometimes I just like to feel I'm getting a deal so I choose an inside. No worries about weather, bad food, or someone getting sick at the last minute because I paid so little.

Apparently yes, I would rather cruise once a year in a balcony than 2-3 in an inside. Someone said, there is no right or wrong answer. It's what each person would rather do. Some don't have the choice and can only cruise once a year. Some could afford it financially and time wise. A balcony is part of the cruise experience for us.

I need fresh air when I sleep--always have windows open at home. For us it is always a balcony......just a personal choice. We are not interested in a suite....but would feel too closed in to have an inside cabin.

I couldn't agree more. Even if I don't step out on the balcony, the fact that it is there (with floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall window) opens up the whole room and makes it seem bigger. I pause frequently and just stand there in the middle of the sitting area by the window looking outside.

I cruise to "see the sea". I want to see it when I first wake up, see it every time I stop in my room for some little item I neglected to take with me on my way to some shipboard event, and see it just before I crawl under the covers at night.

I did tour the panoramic OV cabins on a recent cabin crawl and asked myself if that would do for me ... but then I went back to my cabin and planted myself in front of my sliding glass doors looking out and there was just no comparison. The loss of the balcony would lessen the overall experience too much for me.

I agree completely.

Much as I would like to try a balcony I travel on my own so am usually paying a big supplement before I start. I'm quite happy in an inside, but will pay a bit more for a window if its not too much. As soon as the extra costs start adding up to the price of another holiday somewhere else then that settles it. I'd much rather have 2 cruises in cheaper cabins, than one in a better cabin and lucky me that's what I am doing this year (I even get a window for one of them!!) :D

For me,

Definitely 2 or 3 (or4) times a year. The amount of time I spend in the room doesn't justify a suite. Obviously there's nothing wrong with something a bit roomier and nicer but if I can keep it downsized and travel several times a year I'd prefer it.:D

That being said, a few exceptions would be for a honeymoon or anniversary trip. :p

IF only the cost of the cruise was the only cost of the vacation. Getting to the port, and our onboard spending are also big costs, so... we tend to opt for cruising less often, but in a nicer cabin, 'cause I'm going to spend $1,500-$2,000 getting to and from the port.

more cruises!

I don't have the choice you presented, but I have still never cruised in a balcony cabin. (I typically book an oceanview on Deck 2 or 3 - least expensive windowed cabins.) The cost difference doesn't allow me to cruise multiple times a year, but it does allow me more spending money for excursions and extras. I don't need a suite.