Which hotel area?

We are sailing out of Cape liberty and want to visit 2-3 days previous to see sights. We like the Country Inn Hotels and not sure if its better to stay close to cruise port and commute to atrractions, or stay close to New york and then take taxi to cruiseport. Anyone find one more advantagious than the other?

What's your hotel budget? What are the exact dates you will need a hotel room? I'm assuming two people.

It's all about balancing time, money and stress. It will take you about an hour to get into Manhattan from a Newark Airport hotel and will cost $12.50/pp each way. I'm a big fan of the hotels in the Newport area of Jersey City if they fit your budget because of the PATH train service to NYC for$2.50/pp each way. If you can manage your luggage, the light rail can easily be taken to Bayonne from these hotels for $2.10/pp plus a $10-12 cab ride.

What's your hotel budget? What are the exact dates you will need a hotel room? I'm assuming two people.

It's all about balancing time, money and stress. It will take you about an hour to get into Manhattan from a Newark Airport hotel and will cost $12.50/pp each way. I'm a big fan of the hotels in the Newport area of Jersey City if they fit your budget because of the PATH train service to NYC for$2.50/pp each way. If you can manage your luggage, the light rail can easily be taken to Bayonne from these hotels for $2.10/pp plus a $10-12 cab ride.

Thanks so much. This has made my thoughts more accurate on what is best. I have researched hotels that include full breakfast (why we like Country Inn) and have found out they will also shuttle us to the cruise port for a small fee, sometimes free if they have enough cruise guests on route that day. I will have to verify that its location is close to the PATH service. Will look up this system and its schedule.

Thanks again!

What other hotels are you considering besides Country Inns? CI would be the only Newark Airport hotel which offers a Cruiseport shuttle that we would recommend. I see you are from Canada - do you have any shopping requirements?

The logistics of getting to New York from Country Inns are to take the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain station, take the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport train station, and take NJTransit to either Newark Penn Station to transfer to PATH or go directly to New York Penn Station. There are about 4 trains per hour on NJ Transit and they tend to be clustered with longer gaps in between. To go to New York Penn Station is $12.50/pp each way and to go via PATH is $8.75/pp each way to Newark Penn Station and $2.50/pp to NY on PATH. With all the transfer points, you will be lucky if you can do this in an hour. There is also bus service to Port Authority in NYC from Jersey Gardens Mall, but it runs hourly, if that.

You might want to look at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. For May3-6,2015 you can get a prepaid queen room for about $195 tax included. This hotel is located near two PATH Stations to go to either midtown or downtown NY. You would have the extra cost of a car service to get there from the airport. It doesn't offer free breakfast or food service, but it does offer a full kitchen. If you're interested in going to the Statue of Liberty, you can easily get to Liberty State Park via light rail and short ferry. You can also get to Bayonne via light rail.

I've personally stayed at Country Inns and thought it was just fine for our family's purpose at the time. Cruising or sightseeing was not involved for us. The hotel has no food service except breakfast and a small sundry shop. The public areas are very small. We're actually going to stay at Candlewood Suites in Sep for several nights to attend wedding festivities in New York City. I will be doing a review afterwards.