Delta and changed flight??

jkw2765

We have refundable tickets through EzAir for RT tickets in November LAX-SYD. We have not paid for them yet, as it is not due until the end of August. This week I received a notice that our flights were cancelled and they were putting us on another flight. The problem? The flight out is not an issue. We also have RT flights FLL-LAX with Virgin America, bought and paid for separately with no insurance. Due to the return flight arriving into LAX an hour later, I don't think it will give us enough time to make our flight. We arrive at 8 and have a domestic flight at 10:15. The questions is: Should I call Delta to see if they can do anything about the $150 change fee per person or would I be wasting my time? There are 5 of us so that is a rather hefty amount. Thanks for all the help!:eek:

A lot more detailed info is needed. Dates, flight numbers, times. I'm especially curious because DL only operates one flight per day between SYD and LAX (though they also codeshare on a Virgin Australia flight). So I'm uncertain how they have "cancelled" your flight and then put you on another one. Was there a time change or what?

What exactly do you want DL to do? They have one flight per day, and the Virgin Australia codeshare actually arrives even later than your flight (if it is DL 16).

Also, as far as DL is concerned, the fact that you will miss a Virgin America flight from LAX means nothing. In fact, some agents might even think "Hmm, didn't buy from us from FLL, so to heck with him".

Finally, do you actually have tickets or just a reservation for them? Do you have actual ticket numbers? Plus, since you bought through EZ, you are their customer, not DL.

So...some more info might get some more specific answers.

Unfortunately this is the real risk of booking separate tickets that "connect" back to back....the first flight gets changed to a later arrival time, or the 2nd flight changes to an earlier departure time and suddenly those cost savings of booking separate tickets on different airlines seem questionable at best.

As Flyertalker said, I'm not sure what your angle is with Delta. If you read the fine print on your ticket, you'll see that they technically are not obligated to get you back to LAX at any particular time, and thus have the right to change the flight schedule. If they have rebooked you on a different operating carrier you may have the right to cancel the ticket, but 1) Since you bought through EZAir and not from Delta, that option may not exist and 2) Even if EZAir lets you cancel, you'll need to make sure there is a better option out there, that gets you into LAX in time to make your other flight. Full details might allow someone to give you a better answer, but again- this exact scenario is a known risk of piecing together an itinerary with 2+ separate tickets. Good luck!

I'm especially curious because DL only operates one flight per day between SYD and LAX (though they also codeshare on a Virgin Australia flight). So I'm uncertain how they have "cancelled" your flight and then put you on another one. Was there a time change or what?

What exactly do you want DL to do? They have one flight per day, and the Virgin Australia codeshare actually arrives even later than your flight (if it is DL 16).

A small bit of digging suggests that there may have been a flight number change.

Historically, DL's LAX-SYD-LAX flights were DL17 and DL16. Current timetables now show the LAX-SYD flight as DL417. I don't know when this change came about, but I wonder whether the flight number for the OP's LAX-SYD flight (presumably in late November, given that the cruise departure date is 25 November) has been changed from DL17 to DL417 in the raft of changes that are being filed by DL at the moment.

It's the only explanation that I can think of for a "cancellation" when DL has only operated one flight a day and there isn't a substantive cancellation.

Whatever the previous arrival time of the SYD-LAX flight, it must still have left precious little margin to transfer to a LAX-FLL flight on a separate ticket. The OP will have to tell us how much that flight's moved, but even if it's only an hour or so, 3:15 on separate tickets, before schedule change season was completed, was always going to be a bit optimistic.

You are going to deal with EZAir not Delta.

Before you contact them check ITAMatrix or even Kayak to see what your alternatives might be.

Also, be aware that you need much more time at LAX between your flights. TSA is reinstating some of the more strenuous security protocols. There could be additional flight schedule changes on either airline. You might have to change terminals depending on your airline alterations. And, there can always be flight delays.

You are going to deal with EZAir not Delta.

Either way, the fact that the OP booked a subsequent separate ticket, independent of the EZAir ticket, may mean that EZAir's answer is, "so what?" OP: Unfortunately it's no different than when a delay/cancellation/changed flight time means a pax will miss their dinner reservation, concert, ballgame or board meeting. What you have planned after your flight lands is not the concern of the airline, nor is it their responsibility that you get to that subsequent obligation, be it a separately booked flight on another airline, or Sunday dinner at Grandma's house. Will EZAir/Delta make a change that works for you and/or waive the change fee? Maybe. Or will they laugh and say "too bad, so sad?" Maybe. Good luck, hope it works out!