Alaska cell service

scmexico

What is the situation in Alaska? Does the ships cell service grab your phone even when docked? Can you use data roaming service on standard carriers ATT, Tmobile etc?

Any help would be appreciated

We have Verizon and while in port (Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan) we were not on roaming and had no issue with call reception. Data in Sitka was only 3G while Juneau and Ketchikan had 4G. I disabled my Wi-Fi (but you still would have to sign in to your ship's Wi-Fi to even be charged and get access) and roaming so that Verizon wouldn't charge me for that. Obviously when you are out in the ocean you have no cell service but you can use the ship's phone if you need to. I don't know about the other cell carriers but I was pleased with our Verizon service in Alaska.

The ship's cell service should be off when in port (to prevent the local residents from inadvertently accessing it).

Alaska is "domestic"...check with your carrier as to how your plan handles "domestic" roaming.

I have AT&T and cell service was great at ports. Only lost coverage in Denali Park after10 miles in. Watch out when in Vancouver & Victoria- you can call carrier ahead to add international or text only.