Where is the port in Grand Bahama?

mitsugirly

Coming in on NCL and was wondering where they dock at in Grand Bahama (Freeport)? As in...where on the map? I have tried to search on here, but can't find anyone that mentions it other than by name. :(

I have been trying to figure it out looking at google earth and can't find where there would be a dock at. I see there's Grand Bahama, then west and east.

(I'm trying to figure out how close some of the places I'm checking out to go to is from the port). :confused:

Thanks for your time.

If you look for Freeport, Grand Bahama on google maps (satellite image), zoom in until you can start seeing some details. With the "A" marking Freeport in the middle of the map look to the left on your screen and you will see a harbor, that's where you'll dock. It's an industrial port as you can tell if you center it in your screen and zoom in some more. The port itself is about a 15 minute cab ride to Port Lucaya market.

If you don't want to stray too far from the ship there is a straw market and Senor Frogs at the dock (they've been expanding the area a lot).

If you look for Freeport, Grand Bahama on google maps (satellite image), zoom in until you can start seeing some details. With the "A" marking Freeport in the middle of the map look to the left on your screen and you will see a harbor, that's where you'll dock. It's an industrial port as you can tell if you center it in your screen and zoom in some more. The port itself is about a 15 minute cab ride to Port Lucaya market.

If you don't want to stray too far from the ship there is a straw market and Senor Frogs at the dock (they've been expanding the area a lot).

Thank you so much. I found it. I was looking further east I guess and couldn't find anything.

Well darn, I was wanting to go to Gold Rock Beach (the pictures of the place is amazing) and was hoping it was close by. It doesn't look like that's the case. :(

So when you say that Port Lucaya is 15 minutes away, what is that? Another port?

Any idea how far away Grand Lucayan is? Or how far away Paradise Cove Beach is?

Thanks so much for your help. :)

Thank you so much. I found it. I was looking further east I guess and couldn't find anything.

Well darn, I was wanting to go to Gold Rock Beach (the pictures of the place is amazing) and was hoping it was close by. It doesn't look like that's the case. :(

So when you say that Port Lucaya is 15 minutes away, what is that? Another port?

Any idea how far away Grand Lucayan is? Or how far away Paradise Cove Beach is?

Thanks so much for your help. :)

It's the main marketplace and it's where a lot of excursions have their jumping off point. Unfortunately that's the only place we've been to on the island.

Kim, we are going to the same places again! (I am going on the Sky in 37 days) always love you reviews!

I have done this cruise before, so maybe this time I can help you. As sparks says the first day of the cruise ports in Freeport, Grand Bahamas. It is an ugly industrial port you will want to go somewhere else. Last time we did this cruise we went to Deadman's Reef /Paradise cove

http://www.deadmansreef.com/activities.htm

we did the snorkel trip and it was a good day. This area is pretty, but away from most everything else can't remember exactly but maybe a 30-40 minute ride. The reef is a little ways off shore and a good workout kind of swim, it was a little rough and stormy the day we went (you can pay one of the workers to take you out there in a boat or on a jet ski but I don't know what they charge as we swam). Good snorkeling by the reef with lots of nice variety of fish.

anyway this time we are looking at a snorkel trip out of Port Lucaya (the touristy town 20 minutes from where the boat ports in the other direction) Still trying to make a plan so post anything you find out!

Trish

Kim, we are going to the same places again! (I am going on the Sky in 37 days) always love you reviews!

I have done this cruise before, so maybe this time I can help you. As sparks says the first day of the cruise ports in Freeport, Grand Bahamas. It is an ugly industrial port you will want to go somewhere else. Last time we did this cruise we went to Deadman's Reef /Paradise cove

http://www.deadmansreef.com/activities.htm

we did the snorkel trip and it was a good day. This area is pretty, but away from most everything else can't remember exactly but maybe a 30-40 minute ride. The reef is a little ways off shore and a good workout kind of swim, it was a little rough and stormy the day we went (you can pay one of the workers to take you out there in a boat or on a jet ski but I don't know what they charge as we swam). Good snorkeling by the reef with lots of nice variety of fish.

anyway this time we are looking at a snorkel trip out of Port Lucaya (the touristy town 20 minutes from where the boat ports in the other direction) Still trying to make a plan so post anything you find out!

Trish

Woo hoo, someone that can go before me and tell me all the good things to do. :D

I started researching the other day and came up with either Dead Mans Reef at Paradise Cove, Lucanya resort or Gold Rock beach. Now that I know where the ship docks, I guess Gold Rock is out of the question. So, I have narrowed it down to the other two.

Who did you use to book with for Paradise? I have only been able to find 1 place so far and I'm wondering if they are the only ones to book with?

I have read that the snorkeling is awesome there, however I'm concerned about the swim (with my little one with us). I have read that for $5 they will take you out in a canoe, but I have also read you are on your own getting back...which still leaves me with a concern with her. She's a good swimmer and she wears her lifejacket in the ocean, but when she tires out, she hops on our backs while we swim...which might not be the greatest for us. ;) LOL

If we aren't able to do the swim, did you see anything closer to the shore? I have read there was some sea grass and the possibility of maybe seeing some rays and sea turtles? That would be awesome as well since we have yet to see a turtle on any of the cruises.

Was the food included in the price? (I can't remember if I read that or not). If not, do you know the pricing of food and drinks (both alcohol and soda)?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. This is awesome. Oh...and of course...do you have any pictures? :D :p

We did this in Sept 2012. I booked it through the website. Don't believe there is any other way to do it. It is a small place with not much else around it (nothing I saw anyway) this review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1629317

has much better pictures than any I took (sorry not an awesome photographer like you are! I always feel like I've been there after one of your reviews!)

I thought the snorkeling was quite good. A good variety of fish and even saw some sea turtles. You start seeing a few things pretty close to shore but defintely closer to the reef the better.

The swim is not terribly hard. It is a ways out, but not too far. I think you can get a pretty good perpsective on it in the pics in that review (although once you start swimming things always seem farther huh!). Maybe consider taking the boat out ( I think they were doing that for $5/each when we were there ) as not to tire your daughter out. Also I am pretty sure they would come back out and get you if you arranged it with the driver who takes you out. They are pretty nice and are always happy to earn a tip. There was a storm that rolled in the last time we were there and they were out on Sea Doo's checking on everyone making sure you were ok to swim back. There are also blow-up anchored matresses/buoy thingys you can grab onto and rest a few different places.

If you email the reservations site I'm sure they would answer all your questions. Barry (the owner? not sure ) was quick to respond last time and very friendly.

The food was not included in the $35. The transportation and snorkel gear was all that included. I think we paid the $5 to get a locker and also I think $3 or maybe $5 to get a chair and umbrella (sorry not real sure on prices) The food was pretty reasonable. My husband had the conch fritters and I think I had a chicken sandwich plus 2 beers (he liked his, mine was pretty bland but edible) Again sorry not exact on prices but I think $7-8/meal and maybe 3-4/beer. Maybe someone who has been there more recently will remember prices better.

It was pretty empty the day we went with maybe 20-30 people there at most. I've only ever seen one review that complained it was crowded.

Our group may be doing this again in August-- so if we do I will get better info for you!

We did this in Sept 2012. I booked it through the website. Don't believe there is any other way to do it. It is a small place with not much else around it (nothing I saw anyway) this review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1629317

has much better pictures than any I took (sorry not an awesome photographer like you are! I always feel like I've been there after one of your reviews!)

I thought the snorkeling was quite good. A good variety of fish and even saw some sea turtles. You start seeing a few things pretty close to shore but defintely closer to the reef the better.

The swim is not terribly hard. It is a ways out, but not too far. I think you can get a pretty good perpsective on it in the pics in that review (although once you start swimming things always seem farther huh!). Maybe consider taking the boat out ( I think they were doing that for $5/each when we were there ) as not to tire your daughter out. Also I am pretty sure they would come back out and get you if you arranged it with the driver who takes you out. They are pretty nice and are always happy to earn a tip. There was a storm that rolled in the last time we were there and they were out on Sea Doo's checking on everyone making sure you were ok to swim back. There are also blow-up anchored matresses/buoy thingys you can grab onto and rest a few different places.

If you email the reservations site I'm sure they would answer all your questions. Barry (the owner? not sure ) was quick to respond last time and very friendly.

The food was not included in the $35. The transportation and snorkel gear was all that included. I think we paid the $5 to get a locker and also I think $3 or maybe $5 to get a chair and umbrella (sorry not real sure on prices) The food was pretty reasonable. My husband had the conch fritters and I think I had a chicken sandwich plus 2 beers (he liked his, mine was pretty bland but edible) Again sorry not exact on prices but I think $7-8/meal and maybe 3-4/beer. Maybe someone who has been there more recently will remember prices better.

It was pretty empty the day we went with maybe 20-30 people there at most. I've only ever seen one review that complained it was crowded.

Our group may be doing this again in August-- so if we do I will get better info for you!

Thanks for all the info. You've been a big help.

I did see that review when I was searching and it was very helpful.

So is the snorkeling right there where you see the rocks sticking up out of the water? Or is it beyond that?

The bouys that you mention along the way, are they like platforms that you can get up on and rest? Or just something to hold on to in the water? (I've seen places with the platforms so just wondering).

Thanks for the pricing of the food/drinks. :) Off to do more research. :D

Yeah I think in the pictures that the rocks you can see are the reef. This is a picture I took. They seem a little farther out in this picture to me, but I think it is all the perspective of the picture.

536001_10151024704927854_758068221_n.jpgthis is another one of when it started raining. You can see the reef in the water here too

60282_10151024708217854_603628111_n.jpg

The floaty things in the water were not real platforms that I remember...just something you could grab onto and rest. One of them was like a large mattress kinda thing so possibly it would be something one of you could lift your daughter onto and she could rest. Sorry I did not pay them much attention and only grabbed onto on of them once.

Yeah I think in the pictures that the rocks you can see are the reef. This is a picture I took. They seem a little farther out in this picture to me, but I think it is all the perspective of the picture.

this is another one of when it started raining. You can see the reef in the water here too

The floaty things in the water were not real platforms that I remember...just something you could grab onto and rest. One of them was like a large mattress kinda thing so possibly it would be something one of you could lift your daughter onto and she could rest. Sorry I did not pay them much attention and only grabbed onto on of them once.

Thank you so much for the pictures and the information. I REALLY appreciate it. It looks like it will be a great day. :)

Do you know if you are able to take the canoe out there?

I think those are the Kayaks they rent out. The kayak adventure price is also $35...so I guess you could maybe take those out to near the reef...but not sure what you would do with them while you snorkeled.

I think those are the Kayaks they rent out. The kayak adventure price is also $35...so I guess you could maybe take those out to near the reef...but not sure what you would do with them while you snorkeled.

See if they would rent the kayaks just for private use (instead of a kayak tour), then I think it would work out maybe a little better :confused: since we could put our little one in there when she got tired. Psshhh, I can snorkel and hold on to a kayak as long as there's a rope on it. I have snorkeled with 1 hand basically for years holding on to my daughter with 1 hand and the camera in the other. :D You learn to multitask. :p

See if they would rent the kayaks just for private use (instead of a kayak tour), then I think it would work out maybe a little better :confused: since we could put our little one in there when she got tired. Psshhh, I can snorkel and hold on to a kayak as long as there's a rope on it. I have snorkeled with 1 hand basically for years holding on to my daughter with 1 hand and the camera in the other. :D You learn to multitask. :p

Hi mitsugirly,

I know this place very well since my parents live down the road from it. It is a wonderful area and it really is never crowded so you can be comfortable and have a nice relaxing day. The staff is wonderful and will be willing to assist you and if your daughter needs assistance back I am sure if you give them a time they will come back out for you. I am sorry you can not make Gold Rock Creek it is beautiful I have done some camping out there and very nice. If you choose Port Lucaya it is a port but mainly for luxury vessels. This area is very touristy and gets filled when ships are in port. If you like shopping this is the area for you. There is the public beach here as well it is however next to two large resorts so not only the cruise crowd but the resort crowd.

Hope this helps some.

Hi mitsugirly,

I know this place very well since my parents live down the road from it. It is a wonderful area and it really is never crowded so you can be comfortable and have a nice relaxing day. The staff is wonderful and will be willing to assist you and if your daughter needs assistance back I am sure if you give them a time they will come back out for you. I am sorry you can not make Gold Rock Creek it is beautiful I have done some camping out there and very nice. If you choose Port Lucaya it is a port but mainly for luxury vessels. This area is very touristy and gets filled when ships are in port. If you like shopping this is the area for you. There is the public beach here as well it is however next to two large resorts so not only the cruise crowd but the resort crowd.

Hope this helps some.

You're parents live down the road :eek: how lucky!!!

I will see when I get there how I feel about the place and just how far out it is and play it by ear. If it doesn't seem doable, then I'll try talking to the staff and see if they wouldn't mind taking us out and coming back for us. We'll see but thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate it.

I really hate that we won't be anywhere near Gold Rock either. The pictures and the descriptions that I see online look amazing.

Shopping...nope, I never go to any port for shopping. The only thing I ever buy in port is a tee-shirt to remember the place by and my daughter gets a magnet.

You have been a big help. Thanks so much! :)