Verizon in Bermuda

jrm116

Assuming it is similar to my phone, you would not have anything, including wifi, in airplane mode. What you need to do is turn "data off while roaming" and voice off while roaming", leaving wifi available and searching for wifi coverage.

Assuming it is similar to my phone, you would not have anything, including wifi, in airplane mode. What you need to do is turn "data off while roaming" and voice off while roaming", leaving wifi available and searching for wifi coverage.

EDIT: I put a response but I see what you mean now; my phone does that too, thanks!

Edited by jrm116

I have an Android. I can turn off data under "Data Usage." Then there's More settings --> mobile netowrks --> Global Data Roaming Access. It then gives me "deny data roaming access", "allow access for only this trip", "allow access for all trip." Looks like I select deny data roaming access

I hate to be specific about your phone, since it sounds slightly different from mine. However, if you can just "turn data off" completely, that would be the assurance that it will not download any data at all......I would think.

Airplane mode turns off both the wifi radio and the cellular radio on most phones. If you want to use WIFI after that, turn on wifi.

To avoid high DATA ROAMING charges, turn off data roaming. This is handy in case you do turn the cellular portion of your phone on. Many people leave DATA ROAMING turned off all the time. That will work for most folks even at home.

To get wifi most places you will have to login. It will not be automatic. Some places require you to pay, like on the ship or certain places in Bermuda, or anywhere else for that matter.

I hate to be specific about your phone, since it sounds slightly different from mine. However, if you can just "turn data off" completely, that would be the assurance that it will not download any data at all......I would think.

Yeah, my phone is weird sometimes!! But if I activate APM, roaming and data are deactivated. I can still turn on Wifi- so problem solved! :D

Just to be clear, on the islands of Bermuda, there are few if any, free Wi-Fi hotspot as there are no McDonalds or Starbucks. Ships at Navy Dockyard are near land-based PAID WiFi on the pier, that might or might NOT reach the ship's lower & open decks and/or balconies. You can purchase inexpensive WiFi for 1 day, 3 days or 7 days, etc. on the pier offered by the local ISP, not affiliated with NCL - connectivity results varied from user's reports.

Last month, the Breakaway began, on a trial basis, data packages by the MB used (instead of by the minutes) and is satellite-based and appeared to be faster & enhanced.

As a VZW user, log into your account and there's interactive and/or online tutorial specific to your device, explaining how to "tweaK" your settings and make the most use out of it. Different generations of iOS and Android devices have unique functions, some varied by its hardware makers (i.e HTC, Motorola, Samsung or Nokia, etc.) on how to disable & avoid roaming data charges.

For your mobile account with VZW, enable turn ON international services so that in case of emergencies, you can do voice & SMS, even if data is disabled or blocked - it is a lot easier than trying to call "Global Support" from abroad to try to re-enable services. That way, it's availalbe in the unlikely event that you need to use it unexpectingly.

Enjoy the cruise !

my tmobile cell phone picked up a cell signal so i am pretty sure verizon can as well.

Not sure what this was in response to, but pretty much ALL cellphones will pick up a signal. Question is - do you want to pay what they charge to use that signal?

my tmobile cell phone picked up a cell signal so i am pretty sure verizon can as well.

From what I understand, you can get a signal in Bermuda. But because VZ or TM doesn't really own the cells over there (I guess it's like a lease or something) you pay a lot more to use it. A lot more.

From what I understand, you can get a signal in Bermuda. But because VZ or TM doesn't really own the cells over there (I guess it's like a lease or something) you pay a lot more to use it. A lot more.

Similar to what you would pay on the ship $2.49 per minute on the ship.

The reason why international roaming is expensive is yes... We don't own the towers over there (I work for Big Red). We are charged on a per call basis, and the charges are passed on.

Also, cellular at sea is a consortium that was formed to give seagoing people wireless access on phones. It is satellite based, which is very expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure what this was in response to, but pretty much ALL cellphones will pick up a signal. Question is - do you want to pay what they charge to use that signal?

my cell phone does not work in Bahama or the Caribbean islands. It might just be that my phone is too old compare to the newer phones.