Cant walk far -- what can we do in San Juan?

mamamzee

DH cannot walk far although he is not disabled and will not have a wheelchair or scooter on our cruise in November 14.

We are really interested in old San Juan and some of the tasting tours but it looks like they may require more walking than he can do (up steps and hills)

Any ideas?

The OP is from Florida, and accustomed to hot summers. In fact, I find the Caribbeab not as hot in summer as Coastal GA. Check on the Ports of Call boards, but I recall there was a hop on/ hop off bus that would give you a taste of the city. EM

DH cannot walk far although he is not disabled and will not have a wheelchair or scooter on our cruise in November 14.

We are really interested in old San Juan and some of the tasting tours but it looks like they may require more walking than he can do (up steps and hills)

Any ideas?

Suggest you consider the free trolley service in Old San Juan. This is strictly free transportation and not a tour as there are no tour guides on board the trolleys. Check out this link: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

We just negotiated with one of the taxi drivers right outside the port to take us around Old San Juan and he was a great tour guide. We just told him what we wanted to do and see and he readily complied.

Can your husband take a few steps on and off a bus? There is a free trolley around old San Juan that runs around, they have a website with a map. They do not announce stops, so you will have to know where to get off the bus.

Can your husband take a few steps on and off a bus? There is a free trolley around old San Juan that runs around, they have a website with a map. They do not announce stops, so you will have to know where to get off the bus.

If interested information and link to trolley website has been previously posted. Refer to Post # 5 in this tread.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I can walk about 20 steps without too much pain, so we always always rent a scooter when we cruise.. have you thought about renting him one? They are roughly $248 for the duration of the cruise and they deliver it right to your stateroom and pick it up at the end of your cruise.. very easy company to work with = Special Needs Group 954-585-0575

Mosiegirl, thanks to your commentary, I have reserved a scooter for myself on my upcoming Glory cruise. I had looked into it and had contemplated taking my Go-Go Elite Traveler, but the skinny wheels -while great on a flat sidewalk or in the mall, for example- make it terrifying on uneven pavement. I don't want to risk it, I'm always sure the machine will fall over, but I worried that anything larger wouldn't fit through the door.

Special Needs Group assured me that they do this all the time and that the middle one will indeed fit. (I know it would not in a Fantasy-class ship, my rollator was about 1/4 inch too wide without folding it when I was on Inspiration in March.) Anyway, I am taking their word for it -and yours!

Can you tell me how it fits in the cabin? I have a standard balcony (9290). Will I completely lose the use of my sofa? Do you have any photos from the 5 or 6 times you've done this? My daughter was supposed to be with me but is now unable to go so I'll be solo; I have to know that I'll be able to manage everything on my own.

One thing I do know is that I will feel very comfortable in Old San Juan on the Victory and I wouldn't even bother trying the Go-Go on those cobbles and those hills. In fact, I think I'm going to Craigslist mine and get a 4-wheel Phoenix!

Thanks, Mosiegirl, I really appreciate your input.