Women In Shorts MDR - Casual Night

The rules may say that there are no shorts, but people are wearing shorts. No one is enforcing the rule. It's a pretty useless rule. At the end of the day, when it all comes down to it, no one really cares.

Guess you feel the same way about chair hogs and holding seats in the theater? If those rules aren't enforced regularly, they're useless?

This is actually the comment the deserves a like button.

Since following simple rules is so important to you (and others, not meaning to just pick on you) I assume that you never drive over the speed limit.

Most people I know do drive over the posted speed limit because they know its not enforced most of the time. Of course if you happen to find a cop who really wants to enforce it, its going to cost you a lot more than a walk back to your cabin to do a quick change. Yet, almost everyone seems the ignore the simple posted limit that any sane person should be able to understand.

Lol, both so true!!

Sigh.... No, we're not "wondering" what dressy shorts are. The point is, everyone has a different idea of what some people think fits in that category. For those of you under 45-50 who still have firm, lean legs, short dressy shorts look great. For those of us, who at one time had fabulous legs, time does take it's toll and I will not wear that short of shorts anymore. Although my DH still thinks I have great legs.;)

That said, I don't see what you posted as being "dressy" or "elegant". What I see are short shorts made out of nice material (not denim or khaki) but that doesn't make them dressy. Current where? I haven't been anywhere dressy than anyone has worn shorts to and we eat at nice restaurants, go to the theatre, etc.

If I wore shorts to work, I would be sent home. Heck, even the girls wearing short tight dresses to work are not seen as professional at all. Most work places have dress codes.

Quite a few did wonder out loud what dressy shorts are. If you don't want to learn, then don't ask.

Guess you feel the same way about chair hogs and holding seats in the theater? If those rules aren't enforced regularly, they're useless?

No, because that directly affects someone else.

Almost the same subject. I was on Oasis last week. The guy in front us going in the main dinning room for breakfast had on a tank top (Wife beater shirt like Tony Saprono) he was told that they would serve him this time but in the future he would not be served with that type of shirt.

Almost the same subject. I was on Oasis last week. The guy in front us going in the main dinning room for breakfast had on a tank top (Wife beater shirt like Tony Saprono) he was told that they would serve him this time but in the future he would not be served with that type of shirt.

Can you post a pic of a silk, lace, fine tailored or dressy tank top?

Maybe I'm a little ' short' sighted here but there are many venues on the ship where shorts are perfectly appropriate for dinner and everywhere during the day. However since the cruise line 'suggests' no shorts or t-shirt , etc at dinner, what's wrong with showing a little decorum? it's not like they're asking anyone to wear an evening gown..and why push the boundaries... Although some people seem to crave the attention - be it positive or negative...

SO if Women and children wear shorts in the MDR..... do Men get too also?

Well, traditionally speaking men used to go down with the ship too. How enlightened :D

But seriously; the issue at hand is one of traditionalism versus practicality versus progressiveness. Strict traditionalists don't question rules. They read them. They abide by them. They do not ask if there is a better way or something they would prefer better; their preference is to have the rule laid out and for themselves and others to follow the rule. Traditionalists appreciate order and conformity. Things like subjectivity are not as important because that's grey. Reading a rule and following it or not is a lot more black and white.

Then you have those that are practical and may follow rules because it's easier, but vocally ask "Isn't there a better way?" or will state "My preferences instead of ABC would be XYZ". From a practical perspective, comfortable clothing on a warm weather vacation means potentially packing less, paying less for luggage and cleaning, more enjoyment/comfort, and doing so NOT at the expense of anyone else (The whole what I wear doesn't affect you point)

Progressives will tend to shun a rule and actively look to change it. These are the types RCI is courting. Someone without preconceived notions is going to accept things like Dynamic Dining and want to try something new. They will form opinions after trying, but they are not immediately put off by new concepts. They don't want companies to push a set of rigid rules everyone must conform to but rather would think and decide what works best for them and allow the same free choice by anyone else. If someone from that point chooses to focus on the dress of someone else as a problem, it is their problem alone to work out.

There is nothing wrong with any of these viewpoints in and of itself. I see traditionalists trying to force their views on others whereas I see practical and progressive as not trying to force others to do what they want.

Oh, and shorts are coming to RCI soon enough. Don't lose sleep over it. They are not looking for matured and seasoned cruisers for their newest ships; the traditionalists have bad mouthed Quantum and Anthem ad naseuam on here. But of course; it is not a giant Vision-class ship built to a traditional mindset. They are looking to create totally new experiences. That is why the formal restaurant is a mere speck in comparison to how it used to be.

Everyone, it's vacation, lighten up. Do not infringe on others and enjoy yourselves and traveling companions. :cool:

Call me old school if you want.. There is something special about making a little effort to dress a little nicer than we might normally would...go to the main dining room where the waiters are dressed spiffy & aiming to please. Just enjoying the experience! I'm not going to look down my nose at those who don't...just let me enjoy my evening. We have great pics of the family dressed to the nines.:D

We sailed Oasis 6/21-6/28/14 Western Caribbean

My DW was not allowed into the Windjammer in bathing suit during the evening hours. They asked her to step into the stairwell and put clothes on top. They did allow her to come in with shorts and a tee shirt.

MDR I saw both male and female passengers of all ages in shorts. This was only on the casual nights. I did not notice anyone in shorts on the one formal night we ate there. That night we were on Deck 3, starboard side and it was supper hot and I wished I had shorts on. I could not sit through the meal with my jacket on.

Towards the end of the cruise many people seemed more relaxed and did not follow the dress code as strictly. My DD's both wore shorts at their last meal in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Call me old school if you want.. There is something special about making a little effort to dress a little nicer than we might normally would...go to the main dining room where the waiters are dressed spiffy & aiming to please. Just enjoying the experience! I'm not going to look down my nose at those who don't...just let me enjoy my evening. We have great pics of the family dressed to the nines.:D

CMurph, I agree with you. I would not go to the MDR wearing a pair of shorts and neither would my wife (because we follow the rules). On the other hand, the fact that the family at the next table wants to dress up or dress down doesn't matter to me. I cruise to enjoy a break with my wife and extended family. When I start to spend my time focused on what everyone on the ship is doing, I'll stop cruising.

Seems like RCCL is going for the Left Wing Loons, Jersey Shore , Walmart Types while their more refined brand Celebrity is going for the refined ,mentally balanced crowd.

:cj

Edited by Captain Jake

Well, traditionally speaking men used to go down with the ship too. How enlightened :D

:cool:

so you are saying as a progressive male you would shove your wife and kids aside and get on the lifeboat ahead of them.How sad:eek:

Seems like RCCL is going for the Left Wing Loons, Jersey Shore , Walmart Types while their more refined brand Celebrity is going for the refined ,mentally balanced crowd.

Sorry. Mr. Goldstein, Captain Jake is now in charge of Royal Caribbean International.

so you are saying as a progressive male you would shove your wife and kids aside and get on the lifeboat ahead of them.How sad:eek:

That's not what I said, but you feel free to make up and believe whatever you like so that you feel justified in attempting to pick on people.:cool:

But you're an enjoyable enough chap anyways. Enjoy your travels, we may cross paths one fine day.

Since following simple rules is so important to you (and others, not meaning to just pick on you) I assume that you never drive over the speed limit.

Most people I know do drive over the posted speed limit because they know its not enforced most of the time. Of course if you happen to find a cop who really wants to enforce it, its going to cost you a lot more than a walk back to your cabin to do a quick change. Yet, almost everyone seems the ignore the simple posted limit that any sane person should be able to understand.

LOL! It took 52 comments to get to the infamous speeding analogy. So what's your point? People who complain about MDR attire shouldn't speed? People who speed are nice dressers? Two wrongs does make a right? Should we expand it to people who cheat on their taxes shouldn't complain about corrupt government? I mean where are we going with this? In your world no one would be worthy enough to complain about any rule breakers. :D:p Happy sailing.

By the way, I don't care what anyone else wears unless it ruins my appetite. :D

Edited by Big_G

LOL! It took 52 comments to get to the infamous speeding analogy. So what's your point? People who complain about MDR attire shouldn't speed? People who speed are nice dressers? Two wrongs does make a right? Should we expand it to people who cheat on their taxes shouldn't complain about corrupt government? I mean where are we going with this? In your world no one would be worthy enough to complain about any rule breakers. :D:p Happy sailing.

By the way, I don't care what anyone else wears unless it ruins my appetite. :D

Couldn't resist..

STOP signs are ignored, blinkers not used, people speeding.. Shorts!!!

Whilst I go off on a tangent, please Bare with me... It will make sense.

So my question to the Bare (naturalist) cruisers "letsgetwet"

Do you have to wear a bow-tie with the birthday suit? For Formal night.

And do the ambassadors really hand out towels at the entrance to MDR:eek:

And are you allowed to enter the WJ without any footwear?

Now the bare chartered cruises, solve all the issues of attire..:p:cool::

Everyone on those cruises have to follow the rules correct.

Imagine the look you would get if you had a pair of shorts on!!!

if you are so special, why dont you go on an expensive cruise. i guess right wing people do nt where shorts.. why does politics and labeling of people have to enter cruising? wound a bit tight are we..you know the ship is international, and not just American...light en up francis

Politics only entered this with you one other poster denigrating "right wing" or "left wing" people. I don't think anyone here - except you two - have said anything to reveal their political leanings or affiliations. So the "labeling" is yours, no one else's.

i bet all these people upset with the rules are the first one to board the ship, even though the ship sends you times to board...only some rules appy to them

Wow, you sure DO like to make things up, don't you? :rolleyes:

Edited by LetsGetWet!