Stay in Messina or go to Taormina?

Ceepot

I have read the many threads about Taormina, and although it sounds lovely, we are also visiting Athens and Ephesus on our cruise.

Owing to time constraints, (10am to 6pm) there is no convenient train and we'd have to get a taxi to Taormina and back, which I understand would cost €120. When we get there, the shops would be closing as well.

I guess my question is, 'if you were also going to Athens and Ephesus, would you go to Taormina?'

We did the ship tour to Taormina and it was great. Yes, yes, yes... go to Taormina. The ship tour is $62 pp is narrated AND includes admission to the ampitheater (8 Euros each- unless you 65 and an EU, Canada or Australian visitor) and you aren't going to have to wheel and deal with a Sicilian taxi driver. Do the tour. It was lovely. The scenery getting there is nice and the view of Mt. Etna from there is fantastic. It was my 13 year old's favorite excursion in Europe. And tweens aren't exactly easy to please. It has it all- clean, beautiful, cute shops and the ampitheater. We were there for only 2.5 hours and that was fine. Totally worth a trip even if the shops are closed. Nice place to walk around. Messina is gritty and not very impressive.

150952_10151311222853632_1296533178_n.jpg.c5c7010f937c047e5a31268fb776f33e.jpg

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I would not make my decision on going to Taormina based on the fact that you've already been to Athens and Ephesus. They are all different and worthy of visits on their own. Personally, I would choose Taormina over staying in Messsina. I would also investigate the ship excursions if you don't want to deal with figuring the transportation out on your own. I seem to recall that I only paid $40 per person for a "Taormina on Your Own" excursion that drove us there and back but let us spend 2-3 hours on our own without a guide. I could have that price wrong, but I found it better than nothing.

Just to add to the discussion, you can book private tours in this area. We did a private tour from Messina a couple of years ago, and I believe our available time was similar. Loved it, and when we were back last year used the same tour company but out of Catania this time, and again loved it. The two tours were different, different guides, both absolutely what we expected, and well worth the money.

Last year we were with another couple who had not been there before, it was their favourite day of the cruise. So a bug yes to Taromina.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your replies. I am now looking forward to visiting Taormina! :)

This might be one of those very rare times when we suggest taking a good look at your ship's excurisons. If they have a "Taormina on Your Own" excursion, this might be more economical then hiring a taxi (or private car/driver) on your own. And as I have previously posted, do your shopping/browsing as soon as you arrive in Taormina. You can then visit the Greco-Roman Amphitheater in the afternoon (when many shops are closed) and also enjoy some lunch. And by the way, Taormina is somewhat famous for their amazing Cannolis.....if that is something you enjoy.

Hank

This might be one of those very rare times when we suggest taking a good look at your ship's excurisons. If they have a "Taormina on Your Own" excursion, this might be more economical then hiring a taxi (or private car/driver) on your own. And as I have previously posted, do your shopping/browsing as soon as you arrive in Taormina. You can then visit the Greco-Roman Amphitheater in the afternoon (when many shops are closed) and also enjoy some lunch. And by the way, Taormina is somewhat famous for their amazing Cannolis.....if that is something you enjoy.

Hank

Take it easy on the cannoli so you'll have room for Arancini and pistachio gelato. Finish it all with a bottle of Etna Rosso.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is Etna Rosso?

We are docking in Taoromina and after looking at this discussion, I am now a little more excited about it.

I had read that Almonds and marzipan are especially known from this area. Does anyone know if this is true?

Etna Rosso is a blended red wine using a variety of several grapes, which do well in the volcanic soils of the Mt Etna region. Like Nero D'Avola, Etna Rosso and a few other Sicilian wines are growing in recognition and popularity worldwide. There are many younger and very well trained winemakers (including grads of Fresno State U and UC Davis oenology programs) throughout Sicily.

We will dock in Messina around noon and leave at 8pm in September. I am thinking of going to Taormina by train and then a taxi from the train station up to the city.

The other option is the bus to go because it brings you directly up and the express train for the return.

Both train and bus are closed to the dock.

Anybody did this before or heard from people that went to Taormina this way.

The cruise company is charging 80$ for Taormina on your own.

Louise

Ste-Catherine de Hatley, Quebec

We are going on a cruise in Sept and have booked a private tour. We had the option of going to Taormina and Castelmola or going to Taormina and "The godfather village", the town of Savoca. We chose the 2nd option, but I think we can change it. Does anyone recommend one more than the other?

We are going on a cruise in Sept and have booked a private tour. We had the option of going to Taormina and Castelmola or going to Taormina and "The godfather village", the town of Savoca. We chose the 2nd option, but I think we can change it. Does anyone recommend one more than the other?

Just the twisty drive up the hill to Savoca is worth the trip. It's a very cute, cobblestoned mountain hamlet. And how many times in your life will you be able to take a picture of yourself sitting in front of the Godfather's "Bar Vitello?"

• 2 weeks later...
Just the twisty drive up the hill to Savoca is worth the trip. It's a very cute, cobblestoned mountain hamlet. And how many times in your life will you be able to take a picture of yourself sitting in front of the Godfather's "Bar Vitello?"

Just do Taomina on another cruise...it is lovely! So is Castelmola and it is not even crowded...