Pre-paid Gratuities - Service Charge?

Natalia&Nick

Should my parents have been charged an extra 15% on the wine package when they have pre-paid their gratuities?

Thank you all - again!!

Nick

Yes they should have been charged. The prepaid gratuities cover only cabin steward and staff and dining room staff and waiters.

Beverage package purchases (including wine packages) as with individual drink purchases, also get a 15% gratuity added on.

Thank you both.

So they save 10% on inboard prices but get charged 15% on top.

Would they be better buying the wine by the bottle. They have paid about $38-40 per bottle in the package.

If they but on ship in the restaurant, they won't be charged this 15%?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you both.

So they save 10% on inboard prices but get charged 15% on top.

Would they be better buying the wine by the bottle. They have paid about $38-40 per bottle in the package.

If they but on ship in the restaurant, they won't be charged this 15%?

15% gratuity is added to any F&B purchase, no matter what or where it is.

They get 10% off the product price as displayed on menus and price lists with the package.

They have to do their math to see if wine by bottle versus glass makes more sense - depends on what they enjoy and if it's in their package.

Classic package, if they want a wine outside the price, they pay full price, no use of the package. if they have Premium package, they only pay the "overage" of the value, I think $13 is the allowance on wine in premium, $9 on classic.

So if they want a $15 glass of wine, in classic they pay $15 plus gratuity, on Premium, they pay $2 plus gratuity.

If they do buy a bottle of wine, it will be held night to night and delivered to their table, so they don't have to use it all at once. If they will change restaurants for a night, they can let the wine steward know and it will be waiting for them in the new restaurant the next night.

Edited by cle-guy

Natalie&Nick

I am assuming that your parents have not sailed yet. If they wish to avoid the 15% service charge on wine, they can purchase bottles in advance from Gifts by Celebrity. It may be worth checking if they are happy with the limited bottles of wine offered as gifts. They will not be charged corkage if they want to take this wine to dinner and should be refunded in full if they cancel their Wine Package.

Edited by Project_gal

Natalie&Nick

I am assuming that your parents have not sailed yet. If they wish to avoid the 15% service charge on wine, they can purchase bottles in advance from Gifts by Celebrity. It may be worth checking if they are happy with the limited bottles of wine offered as gifts. They will not be charged corkage if they want to take this wine to dinner and should be refunded in full if they cancel their Wine Package.

Great idea, though they also won't get the 10% discount (if classic or 20% if on the premium) offered with the beverage package they have, but they still end up 5% ahead.

I also noticed a month or so ago, unless they updated the prices, since then, the Gifts prices did not increase when they increased the on-board prices in May, I compared the Domain Chandon Sparkling wine.

Its all about timing with regard to the exchange rates.;)

It also seems as if X doesn't update their exchange rates often so they don't necessarily follow the actual daily rate....

Be sure to tell your parents that prepaid gratuities only cover housekeeping and wait staff. It wouldn't cover hairdresser, massage, pedicure, facials, beverages, tour guides, Zumba, other personal services

These items all have gratuity automatically added on at the time of service. In fact, since Canyon Ranch took over it's gone to 18% versus 15% when Steiner ran the spa.

So they have prepaid their gratuities but they haven't really as they have to pay 15% too? What a con!!

Standard on all cruise lines, it is not a con, the prepaid gratuities have nothing to do with drinks.

So they have prepaid their gratuities but they haven't really as they have to pay 15% too? What a con!!

They don't have to pay 15% if they don't purchase anything else that haven't paid gratuities on.

If they drink the free items: coffee, tea, water, juices then no need to pay more.

But just like when you go to a bar or restaurant and purchase items, you need to tip.

At this point they've paid gratuities only on the meals they will enjoy as part of the cruise fare and on the cabin they will occupy.

They can sail without making any onboard purchases easily, many do. But if they want to enjoy upgraded beverages and alcohol, they will need to either buy a package or pay as they go, remembering they will add a minimum 15% gratuity, which they can increase if they want, just like in any restaurant.

There are several opportunities for complimentary beverages if they watch the dailies, also can bring on 2 bottles of wine to enjoy in their cabin without paying a gratuity on those.

Edited by cle-guy

They don't have to pay 15% if they don't purchase anything else that haven't paid gratuities on.

If they drink the free items: coffee, tea, water, juices then no need to pay more.

But just like when you go to a bar or restaurant and purchase items, you need to tip.

Be aware that in the UK tipping is not the 'rule' (to use a phrase) as such. When you go to a bar you rarely tip. Some may leave the small change from the bill/cheque but others may not. Indeed some are surprised when the hear that tipping is more the norm in the USA.

Edited by TheBeeSea

Be aware that in the UK tipping is not the 'rule' (to use a phrase) as such. When you go to a bar you rarely tip. Some may leave the small change from the bill/cheque but others may not. Indeed some are surprised when the hear that tipping is more the norm in the USA.

Celebrity is aware of that and adapted. Several years ago they announced they were homeporting Eclipse in the UK for the summer. The first summer they had so many complaints from cruisers from the UK on the percentage added to the drink prices. They adapted and just increased the prices a like amount, no more complaints ensued. Remember this is just the Eclipse. And yes, I know its silly.

Today's confirmation says "because you have prepaid gratuities your stateroom and dining charges are prepaid"

Surely that applies to wine in the dining room?

No it does not, it covers your stateroom attendants and your waiters. If you purchase wine , you will be charged 15% unless you purchased a drink package. This is standard throughout the industry. From the website: Please note the last line...

Q: How are gratuities handled onboard?A: For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: • $12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account.

A 15% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

Edited by dkjretired

The email confirms what I wrote earlier . drinks aren't covered in the prepaid gratuity. They are considered optional purchases, like haircuts or massages. The housekeeping services and waiter services are not optional, even if you don't eat in the dining room you are eating somewhere, so those services are included in the prepaid system. Optional services have their own gratuities,