First solo cruise- help please

momosbee

My husband and kids have given me a 7 day cruise for my birthday because I am always complaining about not enough ME time. Have cruised many times but never solo. Was wondering how SOLO cruisers fare for the dinners in the Main DR. Are solo cruisers lumped together or placed randomly about the DR. Any info or tips about solo cruise appreciated.

I've been on 3 solo cruises and on all of them I've done early dining. On 2, I was placed at a table that had other solo cruisers but not everyone was traveling solo.

On my very first cruise, I was at a 4 top and another female showed up for dinner. She said her roommate didn't feel well or something. After the first night she never returned so I ended up at a 4 top alone for the rest of the cruise. Lucikly it was just a 3 night. The table next to me included me in their conversations so I didn't feel alone.

When I cruise solo and go to the dining room I have always had your time dining. I have always been seated at a table for 2 by myself. During brunch on sea days, I've either been seated by myself at a table for 2 or at a big table with a mixture of couples and solos.

I guess it bothers some people to eat alone but not me. I enjoy the quiet time.

I travel solo and single. It's hit and miss on seating. You'll likely initially be placed with a solo table, but unless you "click", you are on your own. However, if your preference is the MDR, they offer seating with others if another table is not full. I'm not a firm MDR person, so buffet is fine for me.

I don't know how a married solo going as a "getaway" looks at this.

I've done about 15 solo cruises on carnival, always late seating. I go in the dining room and check my table number to see if its a large table. 80% of the time it is and most at the table are either single or solo.

When Im not assigned a large table, I just request to be placed at one,its pretty easy for them to squeeze one person in.

I have always made sure to be seated at a large table, as I love to converse with others. I like to hear stories from everyone, as well as throwing in my own. Whether solo or with others, once they realize you are comfortable in being Solo, I find that people feel comfortable around you. Are you comfortable with striking up conversations? If so, please do. I would not have been cool with being at a small table, and would have asked politely to be reassigned for the next night. On my first cruise, I was put at a table with a large group that spoke no English. We even had a good time with gestures, but I asked to be moved the next night. I always made it a point to go over and say hi to my original family. We would hug when we saw each other on the ship. They were sweet, and understood.

Just telling the story about your husband and kids giving you the cruise will strike up a conversation. Very nice.

You can also check your roll call for other SOLO cruisers. On one of my Solo cruises we gathered 9-10 of us and on the first day arranged to have a table for all of us. It was a blast.

You need to have one person take charge and have the Matre D link everyone to your table. You may be able to gather their past guest number & see if you can contact the Matre D ahead of time for arrangements or try and go through your PVP.

I went on my fist solo cruise a couple of years ago (a 4 day), and I'll admit I was a little apprehensive - I'm normally with family & I come from a BIG family. But, I really wanted to just get away and be by myself, so I never went to the MDR - ate at the buffet, or got room service. I was in an inside cabin & I'm a smoker so a lot of time was spent hanging out on Lido deck. I'm not one who feels comfortable eating alone, and I was feeling a little stressed about going to the MDR.

I love to read, so most of the time I was really playing the loner. However, I'm normally very outgoing, so I struck up conversations with people in the pool and on Lido on most days.

Now, fast forward - I'm going on another solo on the Breeze in August for 6 days, then doing a B2B on the 8 day following with my 27 year old daughter & my sister (they couldn't get other 6 days off work). BUT this time, I've been involved in the Roll Call & a meet and greet has been planned. I may still not eat in the MDR, but I want to socialize more than I did the first time. AND this time I'm in a balcony, so I foresee alot of time spent out there reading & relaxing.

I travel solo quite a bit and have always had late seating in the MDR, requesting a large table if possible. That avoids being at a 4 top and the possibility of no shows. On several occasions, I've found myself seated at a large table with all the other diners being the opposite sex. Didn't bother me in the least being a guy.

There's lots more info in the solo thread under special interests heading, mostly by female posters. It seems to be a definite gender issue, and I can understand why. Glad I don't have to deal with those issues though.

Edited by evandbob

I too, have done several SOLO cruises, and have almost always been seated at a BIG table with all other SOLO cruisers. This works out very well, as you have something in common with the others, and many times you can go to shows, and even do tours/excursions together. ;) I've met many, many wonderful people sailing SOLO.

"SKY"

My husband and kids have given me a 7 day cruise for my birthday because I am always complaining about not enough ME time. Have cruised many times but never solo. Was wondering how SOLO cruisers fare for the dinners in the Main DR. Are solo cruisers lumped together or placed randomly about the DR. Any info or tips about solo cruise appreciated.

First, be sure to check out the Solo Cruisers forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 for more about traveling alone.

I'll defer to others on how solos are treated with fixed dining times. I've heard they mostly get big tables with other singles. Not my thing. With your time dining, you can ask for a seat by yourself or you can ask to be seated with others. The tables tend to be close together, so you can hear the diners on all sides of you pretty well. And they can hear you, so be nice. :p

As for solo travel tips, I almost always travel solo, and both of my cruises were solo. I think it's great to do what you want, when you want, with no limitations other than your own. Perhaps you'll feel the same.

What do you prefer, sitting with others or alone. You can do it either way. I had Any Time and was at a table alone, my choice. I have no problem with going to the MDR alone. You can enjoy your meal and also get faster service. My solo cruise was for ME time, I don't think I spoke to very many people at all, just relaxed and enjoyed doing what I wanted. Have fun, but I warn you, it is going to be so hard to share a cabin after having one all to yourself. :)

I just did a solo on the inspioration 4 day cruise last week because it was less than $300 TOTAL for a 1A interior and my husband couldn't take the time off. I ws put at a table for 10 -- family of five, newlyweds and 3 -- including me-- solos. I didn't feel ill at ease being a solo at all.

You do get lots of "me" time ...if you want to go to shows, then go, if you want to gamble then go, if you want to sleep in late, then do it.

When you book your cruise, you will be given a choice of early, or late fixed time dining, or "your time dining". If you choose fixed early or late, then you will be seated at a table with other solos, and maybe some couples, or mix of. If you chose anytime dining you can eat at a small table by yourself or ask to be seated with others.

Before "your time dining" came about, I usually was seated at a large table with a great mix of interesting people, except the last time I had late time dining, was seated at a table with two other ladies, who were, to say the least, not very enjoyable table mates.

My next cruise was solo, and the first time I was able to choose anytime dining, so I did, and had a small table for two, by myself. (I am fine with that). But most evenings the people at neighboring tables chatted with me. The tables are that close that you can easily do that.

My upcoming cruise I have chosen your time dining again, and will ask for a table to myself. If folks talk to me that is fine, otherwise, I am more than happy to eat my meal and be on my way when it suits me.

So it will depend on what choices of dining are available when you book, then you can decide if you prefer to be seated with others or if you prefer your time dining, then you can either be alone or seated with others as long as there are people who wish to do the same.

I like to book late with a large table. Last cruise only one man showed up for 2nights then he never showed again and never saw him anywhere on the ship. Odd.

I've done your time and had great tables, or ate alone which was nice because I got great service.

Next trip I'm doing early, hoping to have a table of solos to meet!

You can see the maître 'd the first day and check out your table, find out if you're seated with solos or a family and ask for a change if you want.

I was solo on Paradise in late April (review posted on this forum, and in member reviews), and was seated at a large table of solo travelers. It was a genial bunch, and people came & went - except for me and one other, everyone missed at least one night in MDR. No big deal. It worked well for me and for the most part, I enjoyed everyone (at least part of the time... it is, after all, just dinner :D).