Viking price gouging

mimmy52

Okay, I know we should have bought trip insurance, but my companion was adamant that we not. Now she finds her husband needs surgery, and she might not be able to go. Our trip is fully paid for, so I will go whether or not she can.

I talked to a Viking customer service rep to see what it would cost to put a different person in the cabin. I understand the $350 charge for changing a flight, I have no problem with that. But to say that a new person would have to pay the full price of the cruise? That seems like price gouging to me since Viking has already been paid the full price for each of us. It certainly doesn't take so much man power to make a name change that it costs them over $3,000.

I know I can't do anything about it. I knew when I chose Viking that they seemed to have more problems than other lines, and we didn't get trip insurance. So our fault. I just wanted to vent.

Gosh with Travel Insurance so cheap what was the issue with "adamant about no wanting it" ??

No name changes is not unique to Viking :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

That seems very strange. If it was me, I'd try calling again (as if for the first time) and see if you get a different answer from a different rep. By the way, I wasn't aware that Viking have more problems than other lines.

I've purchased trip insurance before, but never had to pay over $600 for it which is what Viking charged for this trip. I guess I'm from a different generation. I find $600 to be costly especially on top of what I had to pay for the cruise and airfare. Maybe I should have waited another year or so and saved more. My companion will probably have a different view of trip insurance after this, but for now I'm screwed. And as I said, I know it's my own fault.

I've purchased trip insurance before, but never had to pay over $600 for it which is what Viking charged for this trip. I guess I'm from a different generation. I find $600 to be costly especially on top of what I had to pay for the cruise and airfare. Maybe I should have waited another year or so and saved more. My companion will probably have a different view of trip insurance after this, but for now I'm screwed. And as I said, I know it's my own fault.

I'm so sorry. If you booked thru a travel agent, perhaps they could go to bat for you with Viking. Otherwise, the suggestion to call again to see if a different rep might be able to help you is a good idea. You could try escalating it to a manager who has the authority to bend a little and help you out. If all your efforts fail, at least you tried. BTW, since your friend paid in full, would you have to pay any additional if you go alone? I know you'd rather have a companion but river cruises are small enough that you will probably meet nice people to socialize with. I have read several reviews where the posters mentioned going on excursions alone because their companion/spouse chose to go on a different excursion. I mention this because you might find this on your cruise too. Good luck!

YIKS! Don't buy trip insurance from the cruise line.... Go to "insuremytrip" or other outside vendors. When is your sailing? You may still be able to fix this thing if your sailing is a ways off. Have you already cancelled her? Don't until you research other insurance products. Buying directly from the cruise line is very spendy and much less if purchased elsewhere.

Call Viking again, and your travel partner should be the one to make you whole as she is responsible for your lost trip! Hope it all works out for you and yes always always get insurance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Call Viking again, and your travel partner should be the one to make you whole as she is responsible for your lost trip! Hope it all works out for you and yes always always get insurance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If I'm reading correctly, the OP doesn't have a lost trip, the former traveling companion does. The OP still intends to go, and what the OP is trying to do is see if she can substitute another traveling companion since the former companion has already paid in full.

I agree with the advice to go politely up the chain in Viking and discuss this with them. It's not like anyone is trying to get something for nothing here, the other spot in the cabin has been paid for in full. Viking would get a windfall if it insists on full payment yet again in order to substitute a new companion -- that is, it would receive three passenger fares but only two passengers would actually travel. :eek:

And to the OP: yes, this is a hard way to learn that travel insurance (as noted above, from a third party, not the travel provider) really is a good idea (although I assume it's your friend and not you who is out the cost of her fare). I hope you can work this out to your satisfaction.

Most important, I hope your friend's husband is okay.

Edited by Turtles06

Your situations is in no way unique to Viking. It happens with all lines, both river and ocean crusies. I'm not sure if the person you spoke with was able to really explain the problem with making name changes to a reservation after final payment. This process is designed to help cruise lines prevent individuals from reselling their cabins for a profit. It really is meant to be a price control measure.

AlLWAYS buy cancellation and travel insurance. I'm sorry for your situations but this is NOT viking's problem.

So I agree I would call back Viking and try to get someone else on the phone although their policy is pretty clear about passenger substitutions is really a cancellation and subject to the cancellation policy. How far in the future is the cruise because if it is at least 30 days in the future then the cancellation fee is only 50%, so they would not have to pay the whole thing and if it is 3 months from now it is only a 15% cancellation fee. As for insurance, we get it for a whole bunch of reasons the least of all being cancellation. Firstly, ours for our upcoming River Cruise on Arosa in August was $99 per person, so it would have been ridiculous not to get it. With the low river levels and possible bus, changes of our upcoming cruise and the fact that I book private excursions because I want them to be personalized, I want to make sure that is covered, along with the fact that my health insurance does not cover me out of the US and if I get sick in German or Austria, etc. I want to make sure I have insurance to cover it. I also want insurance in case the airlines lose my luggage on the way there. Insurance covers way more than just my possibly having to cancel. I have had to use it in the past and as my dh is my TA he makes sure we are covered for all possible travel related issues. You can still get travel insurance for yourself, but it will not cover cancellation for any reason any more. You can still get a policy to cover the health coverage while out of the country, evacuation, lost luggage, having to come home early, etc. And you don't have to have your travel companion get it. You can get it even if they don't get it. Just get it from your TA. They can advise you. Best of luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into insuremytrip in the future. Now that I've thought about it, I don't think trip insurance would have helped for this situation anyway, since I intend to go. It just would have been nice to have a companion. I will look into seeing whether I can get insurance for the other reasons mentioned.

Actually Travel Insurance would have protected you both in just this situation. Family illness IS a common coverage in many policies.

This coverage would have made your friend "whole" and paid any losses to you or covered the possibility of having to pay "solo rates". Have you asked if Viking is going to reprice your fare as a Solo passenger?

Edited by nana541

Actually Travel Insurance would have protected you both in just this situation. Family illness IS a common coverage in many policies.

This coverage would have made your friend "whole" and paid any losses to you or covered the possibility of having to pay "solo rates". Have you asked if Viking is going to reprice your fare as a Solo passenger?

Surely they won't reprice her as a solo passenger - they already have the money for two passengers.

Mimmy you still haven't mentioned when your cruise is.

Also, even though your travelling companion didn't want to get insurance - you should have still bought your own. She is the only one to lose out here.

Edited by Stratheden

Solo passenger is what many of the Ocean Cruise lines would do....I am hoping Viking does not follow in this path....

I looked at some of the OP's past posts and she sails sometime in August.

Edited by nana541

Medical expenses and repatriation costs could bankrupt most people. Travellng without any form of insurance is very plain foolish.

I am sure she realizes that now. No need to make her feel worse. :o

Cole

Here's what our travel docs say about cancellation for a Viking Cruise that was booked through a TA:

Cancellation Policy: For any cruise/land booking, whether under deposit, partially paid, or paid in full and air-inclusivepackages paid in full, the following travel agent- or guest-requested situations are considered cancellations and penalties will apply as noted below: ...; substitution of another person for original booked guest(s);....

... The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure.

Cancellation Fees (based on double occupancy):

Full fare is defined as the full cost of any cruise, land or air component purchased from Viking Cruises.

121+ daysprior to departure $100 per person

120 - 90 days prior todeparture 15% of full fare

89 - 60 days prior todeparture 35% of full fare

59 - 30 days prior todeparture 50% of full fare

29 - 0 daysprior to departure 100% of full fare

OP sails in August, but what date she has not shared. If the OP still plans to sail she can still get Travel Ins to protect her while she takes this cruise. She should cover her entire trip, not just the cruise.

I am sure she realizes that now. No need to make her feel worse. :o

Cole

I'm sure the OP feels no worse then someone who works for Viking River Cruises might feel when they read the title of the thread VIKING PRICE GOUGES.

To go after a company for 'price gouging' when you don't do your own homework before booking is foolish. They took the risk and willing did not purcahse insurance, now they must pay the consequesnces, stop blaming the cruise company for enforcing it's own policy.

I'm not a big fan of Viking, but in really the OP's at fault here and they should NOT be blaming Viking.

Edited by gentlemancruiser
spelling

The OP did already acknowledge her "choice" to not buy insurance was a poor decision.

Have to agree the title of the thread is very unfair..... Every month it seems on CC there is some angry customer who thinks the Cruiseline should waive their "terms & conditions" simply because they did not buy travel insurance OR did not understand the T & C of the insurance they did buy....

The OP and her traveling partner took a calculated risk to not buy insurance coverage and are now paying the price.

I wish the OP well and hope she finds a way to take this wonderful trip!

I would definitely get my TA involved. I had a traveling companion back out of a Uniworld cruise. My TA was able to get the name changed to another traveler for no fee at all. I know I was very lucky. But I am lucky to have a great TA.