Summit Photo Review - June 29, 2014 to Bermuda in Aqua Class

prim8keeper

I think they are actually going after the same age, however you want to define it, as Royal, only X is looking towards those with a higher income or who don't have kids.

Personally, I've noticed a split among our friends. There are those who are now having kids and settling down (or who already have them) and those who are traveling. Even some of our friends with kids like to leave them with the grandparents when they go on vacation.

Yeah, having children can be expensive. It does take a bit out of ones vacation budget...

Great review, by the way. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it here for everyone. Wonderful photos too.

I agree with most of your observations based on our last cruise in May sailing in AQ on the Solstice:

- We too did not receive CC coupons; had to ask for them.

- The day before our excursion (booked online through Celebrity way in advance), we still didn't receive our tour information and when I checked with Shore Excursions desk, the gentleman who was helping me said they were delivered and he was puzzled as to what I really need. Finally, he re-issued our tour tickets, but no apology was given... I felt like he blamed me for not receiving the tickets.

- We also felt that Blu was understaffed, both in the mornings and evenings.

- Lastly, I agree about the dress code.

Interesting to hear Lucie. We have not had a problem with not getting our excursion tickets before either. You would think X would put a high priority on making sure people get both the captain's club coupons and excursion tickets. It's amazing the difference between a good and bad room steward.

We even order our lobster tails in Murano/Oceanliners/Normandie, plain and simply broiled thought I guess I could ask for really tradditional and have it steamed, with lemon (usually as a side to our main). We're from Maine, any other way is simply just a waste, but Lobster here is available at every grocery store, sandwhich shop and even McDonalds, Walmart, drug stores and such, price is 3.99 for culls on the waterfront to 5.99 at the high end :D

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Coming from Maine I'm surprised to hear you even eat the lobster on the ship! :p While I like Maine lobster I'm not big on the Caribbean lobster they serve on board. I would personally would like to see them get rid of it and put that money towards the quality of the meats or other seafood. However, I know I'm in the minority here.

Great review, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Great review, thanks!

My BF and I are boarding the Infinity next week and have 1140 booked, thanks to Cruise Critic :-)

Great to see so many pictures of the ship.

Think in marketing terms we have about the same profile as you guys (male couple in early 30's). Have only taken one Celebrity cruise before but absolutely loved the ship and atmosphere. Already decided what cruise we'll book on board :-)

I think X provides a great product overall. I also think what ship you are on can greatly effect your overall experience. One of the servers told us working on the newest or top rated ship can be a much better experience for them since it means more staff and more money for stuff. Thus it seems as though that would also trickle down into a better experience for the guests. Since Equinox was their top rated ship when we cruised her last I'm guessing that's why everything seemed so perfect.

Tom, thanks for the great picture review, you put in a lot of details which is great, made me feel like we were there with you.

Looking forward to seeing you both in Feb 2015.

Suz

Thanks Suz!

Yeah, having children can be expensive. It does take a bit out of ones vacation budget...

Great review, by the way. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it here for everyone. Wonderful photos too.

My parents now like to remind me every chance they get that I was an expensive child... :p

Thanks!

Coming from Maine I'm surprised to hear you even eat the lobster on the ship! :p While I like Maine lobster I'm not big on the Caribbean lobster they serve on board. I would personally would like to see them get rid of it and put that money towards the quality of the meats or other seafood. However, I know I'm in the minority here.

I had it a couple of times over a month on board and probably once on each other sailing. We honestly don't do it at home uniless it's for a BBQ. We don't bring the insects inside. It's vile smelling when steamed and can smell up the entire house, but my wife did ask for me to pick some up in Portland today :D

As an FYI, for New England sailings, they buy in Maine and possibility for some other sailings too (I can hope NJ sailing).

Thanks again for the wonderful review, we're heading to Bermuda in a little over a month but now three days seems like such a short time that I'm already planning our next trip there (among others). If you join that support group, count me in!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks so much for your review Tom!!! I've done one lengthy review with pictures before so I know how much time it takes. (My last cruise I didn't do a review at all…. :eek::eek::eek:)

I'm sad it is over because I've been enjoying every installment as I count down the days to our July 27 departure. We are in 1138 so the room steward comments bum me out a little. Our room steward on our April cruise on the Connie in a C1 left a lot to be desired, too. No room service menu, no beach towels until 9 am on port day (good thing we weren't scheduled to leave earlier), no bill the night before disembarkation, etc. I'm not high maintenance so I don't tend to complain, I just go with it, but it sure does make a difference when the little things are taken care of.

Can't wait to try Blu, though. And those pictures of Bermuda have me more excited than ever. We've only been there once but it was for a business meeting, only 3 days, and we never ventured out to see very much. Basically, we had our view from the hotel and that was it.

Thanks again. You've inspired me to do a review when I get back.

I had it a couple of times over a month on board and probably once on each other sailing. We honestly don't do it at home uniless it's for a BBQ. We don't bring the insects inside. It's vile smelling when steamed and can smell up the entire house, but my wife did ask for me to pick some up in Portland today :D

As an FYI, for New England sailings, they buy in Maine and possibility for some other sailings too (I can hope NJ sailing).

Thanks again for the wonderful review, we're heading to Bermuda in a little over a month but now three days seems like such a short time that I'm already planning our next trip there (among others). If you join that support group, count me in!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

In Blu they do have a Maine lobster salad that is very, very good. That's usually the only lobster I order during the cruise. The Lobster soup I had in Normandie was also very good, so I suspect that may have been Maine lobster as well since the meat looked like it was from a claw.

I think on this board we could form a rather big support group. I never thought we would have five cruises booked at once! :eek:

Thanks so much for your review Tom!!! I've done one lengthy review with pictures before so I know how much time it takes. (My last cruise I didn't do a review at all…. :eek::eek::eek:)

I'm sad it is over because I've been enjoying every installment as I count down the days to our July 27 departure. We are in 1138 so the room steward comments bum me out a little. Our room steward on our April cruise on the Connie in a C1 left a lot to be desired, too. No room service menu, no beach towels until 9 am on port day (good thing we weren't scheduled to leave earlier), no bill the night before disembarkation, etc. I'm not high maintenance so I don't tend to complain, I just go with it, but it sure does make a difference when the little things are taken care of.

Can't wait to try Blu, though. And those pictures of Bermuda have me more excited than ever. We've only been there once but it was for a business meeting, only 3 days, and we never ventured out to see very much. Basically, we had our view from the hotel and that was it.

Thanks again. You've inspired me to do a review when I get back.

We were the last cabin in that room stewards row of cabins. So being in 1138 you will get the other guy who we saw a lot. Our friends had him and said he was ok. Not the best they have had, but certainly not the worst.

Don't feel too bad, I didn't do a review of my last cruise either since it was just a repeat of the one I did the year before. I also doubt I'm going to do a review of Silhouette since we aren't planning on doing much. That trip is just for total R & R. I do think I'll do a review for the 14 night Eclipse sailing since I don't think I've ever seen one for that cruise before.

The breakfast in Blu is outstanding so I hope you do a better job of getting up than we did. :) Make sure to order the Blu parfait one morning.

I am so happy for you both that you are going to the Galapagos! We have that on our list too, I think it will be a few years. Please, please do a trip review of it! Maybe that will convince my husband to finally sign up for CC instead of me just telling him everything :D I always call him over to look at pictures. He is not a forums/planner type guy.

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

I think on this board we could form a rather big support group. I never thought we would have five cruises booked at once! :eek:

We have about the same as you, and like you are planning the next few already, especially as we don't have anything planned for our big trip in late fall early I winter 2015 and in 2016 the DW has a special birthday. We may these new cruises on Summit. I'm so addicted that I am considering taking all the full time and a few of our part timers who work often (it's a small company) and SOs on a short cruise next year :eek: as a thank you to them, or an excuse to sail again?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I am so happy for you both that you are going to the Galapagos! We have that on our list too, I think it will be a few years. Please, please do a trip review of it! Maybe that will convince my husband to finally sign up for CC instead of me just telling him everything :D I always call him over to look at pictures. He is not a forums/planner type guy.

Thanks! Being a planner going on that trip is weird since there is pretty much nothing to plan other than your flights. That wont stop me from reading but its still kind of odd. On the plus side it means a new camera and software. Something tells me that trip review will take a month.

We have about the same as you, and like you are planning the next few already, especially as we don't have anything planned for our big trip in late fall early I winter 2015 and in 2016 the DW has a special birthday. We may these new cruises on Summit. I'm so addicted that I am considering taking all the full time and a few of our part timers who work often (it's a small company) and SOs on a short cruise next year :eek: as a thank you to them, or an excuse to sail again?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I'm lucking working in academia it is pretty easy for me to take time off. If my DH had so much flexible time god only knows how many cruises we would have booked. :eek: We have been cruising a lot lately and almost all the to the Caribbean so starting in 2016 we are going to shift to cruising less but going to more exotic places. I figure I'll run out of money and vacation days long before I run out places I want to visit.

Thanks! Being a planner going on that trip is weird since there is pretty much nothing to plan other than your flights. That wont stop me from reading but its still kind of odd. On the plus side it means a new camera and software. Something tells me that trip review will take a month.

I'm lucking working in academia it is pretty easy for me to take time off. If my DH had so much flexible time god only knows how many cruises we would have booked. :eek: We have been cruising a lot lately and almost all the to the Caribbean so starting in 2016 we are going to shift to cruising less but going to more exotic places. I figure I'll run out of money and vacation days long before I run out places I want to visit.

Another great cruise is the Eclipse. It goes to more southern caribbean destinations like Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire. Great islands- It is two weeks. If you teach at the University level, I "assume" you have the time off. Now your DH and budget are another story!

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Amen. We're just a few years ahead of you on similar plans, we've been booking 14 day and 1 month trips and to the more exotic (relatively speaking) places than a Caribbean cruise. If you think you're hooked now...

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I figure I'll run out of money and vacation days long before I run out places I want to visit.

At least you started traveling while you are younger. We didn't start until our early 50's, so we have a lot we want to see in a shorter time period. But we are definitely working on our bucket list. Our problem, we go somewhere new and enjoy it so much that we want to go back again.

I want to join the chorus here and say how much I have enjoyed following along with this review. We have cruised 3 times to Bermuda, twice with Celebrity, and loved it every time. Tom, you and your DH definitely sound like people we would like to cruise with ---- although probably not on the hike up 2800 feet! Safe travels in your future, and we'll wait for your next photo review.....

Another great cruise is the Eclipse. It goes to more southern caribbean destinations like Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire. Great islands- It is two weeks. If you teach at the University level, I "assume" you have the time off. Now your DH and budget are another story!

Enjoy your cruise.

We actually have Eclipse booked for February. I am so excited to visit the ABC's!

My hat off for time and skills you put in this review

Thank you so much!

Excellent review and pix, Tom. We were also on that cruise and booked again for next year - your experiences have given us some ideas for that trip.

Best!

Thanks! If you have any excursion related questions don't hesitate to ask. Bermuda is such a great place.

Amen. We're just a few years ahead of you on similar plans, we've been booking 14 day and 1 month trips and to the more exotic (relatively speaking) places than a Caribbean cruise. If you think you're hooked now...

Happy sailing,

Jenna

1 month?! That is awesome! I wish we could be gone for that long sometimes. I know in the end though I would miss my dogs too much. We have found going for two weeks really works for us, but I have to admit I can't wait for retirement in 30 years so we can just cruise on a whim taking advantage of the great last minute deals like so many on these boards.

At least you started traveling while you are younger. We didn't start until our early 50's, so we have a lot we want to see in a shorter time period. But we are definitely working on our bucket list. Our problem, we go somewhere new and enjoy it so much that we want to go back again.

I learned from my parents who felt it was important that me and my brother get out and see the US and the world when we were kids. I've always been a bit of an adventure seeker though. If I could I would be a full time wanderer.

I want to join the chorus here and say how much I have enjoyed following along with this review. We have cruised 3 times to Bermuda, twice with Celebrity, and loved it every time. Tom, you and your DH definitely sound like people we would like to cruise with ---- although probably not on the hike up 2800 feet! Safe travels in your future, and we'll wait for your next photo review.....

Thank you so much! I keep telling everyone the hike wasn't that bad and yet no one believes me. Next year we are doing the Pitons hike in St. Lucia. I think the next photo review I will do is our 14 night Eclipse sailing because we have so much booked during that cruise. No promises though!

Thank you so much! I keep telling everyone the hike wasn't that bad and yet no one believes me. Next year we are doing the Pitons hike in St. Lucia. I think the next photo review I will do is our 14 night Eclipse sailing because we have so much booked during that cruise. No promises though!

We've done this cruise and it is great, esp St. Lucia and the ABC islands. Bonaire has great snorkeling.

Mary Lou

I think X provides a great product overall. I also think what ship you are on can greatly effect your overall experience. One of the servers told us working on the newest or top rated ship can be a much better experience for them since it means more staff and more money for stuff. Thus it seems as though that would also trickle down into a better experience for the guests. Since Equinox was their top rated ship when we cruised her last I'm guessing that's why everything seemed so perfect.

How is it decided high is the "top ship," and where can we discover that information?

- Joel

1 month?! That is awesome! I wish we could be gone for that long sometimes. I know in the end though I would miss my dogs too much. We have found going for two weeks really works for us, but I have to admit I can't wait for retirement in 30 years so we can just cruise on a whim taking advantage of the great last minute deals like so many on these boards.

It was really hard being gone from our dogs that long. We had a 14 year old very, very beloved lab that while sailing across the atlantic required us to make the decision to send her to the rainbow bridge before we could make it home to say our final goodbyes in person. We knew it could happen, and we prepared her and us, but we made the decision quickly and merifully for her sake. We have her daughter, who is now 10 and many, many of her grand babies and great grand babies around to remind us of her.

Thanks again for the wonderful review.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

How is it decided high is the "top ship," and where can we discover that information?

- Joel

For the top ship I'm honestly not sure since they didn't really elaborate much. However, my guess would be its some combination of ratings. It probably comes from CruiseCritic, T+L (travel and leisure) and Conde Nast Traveler. Honestly, no matter which of those list you look at the ships are all kind of ranked in the same order and if you Google top rated cruise ships those are your top hits so it would make sense those would be the ones they look at. It could also just be based on a survey from guests. Hard to tell.