Furious with Holland America!

rochelle_s

I assume you would be leaving from Ottawa going directly to Fort Lauderdale so how would this even apply?

The general discussion was focussed on arrival in the US on a pre-cleared flight from Canada, not how you get to the point of pre-clearance. Consequently, your comment that "Not claiming your bags to go through customs is only true when you are flying air canada" was erroneous from that perspective.

It appears now, however, that you were referring to claiming your bags prior to going through US Customs in Toronto or wherever you pre-clear for the final leg of your flight, a horse of a different colour.

Well considering a new one that doesn't feel like a torture chamber costs me over a $100 then if it were not too used $50 would be a bargain if I were into buying used undergarments. :)

So, you would not pay $38 for a used bra why do you think a used bra is worth more than $5?

You need to determine the price of used cloths by shopping at Goodwill. That is the true costs of your used cloths.

How much would pay for a used pair of panties? Or, do you feel that they are worthless and would never consider it?

They had used cloths not worth $4000. People should understand a little about the law.

Try to convince a judge that used cloths are worth the same as new.

Maybe if she put realistic value someone might not have had chuckle and offered her more than $100.

Why do people think that you deserve more than what is the actual worth?

They were used panties that you can get at Goodwill for 2 for a dollar.

It appears that the OP's lost luggage had nothing to do with flights or pre-clearances. It seems to have gone missing between handing it to a steward on board late evening and picking it up the next morning in the disembarkation terminal. Although the value of the contents is open to debate, the OP deserves answers if at all possible as to where and why her luggage and belongings disappeared. I feel great empathy for the OP and sincerely hope that she receives the answers she deserves and that this mystery is resolved. Best wishes for success on this matter.

So, you would not pay $38 for a used bra why do you think a used bra is worth more than $5?

You need to determine the price of used cloths by shopping at Goodwill. That is the true costs of your used cloths.

How much would pay for a used pair of panties? Or, do you feel that they are worthless and would never consider it?

They had used cloths not worth $4000. People should understand a little about the law.

Maybe if she put realistic value someone might not have had chuckle and offered her more than $100.

Why are you so hung up on this? Nowhere did I see any indication that the OP was asking for more than the actual worth. What other people pay for their underwear is their business, surely.:rolleyes:

It appears that the OP's lost luggage had nothing to do with flights or pre-clearances. It seems to have gone missing between handing it to a steward on board late evening and picking it up the next morning in the disembarkation terminal. Although the value of the contents is open to debate, the OP deserves answers if at all possible as to where and why her luggage and belongings disappeared. I feel great empathy for the OP and sincerely hope that she receives the answers she deserves and that this mystery is resolved. Best wishes for success on this matter.

Second this.

Everyone got their panties in a twist over the price of used panties and bras, pre-clearance of customs, what insurance is best, etc. - all off topic.

Hope OP gets a resolution from HAL, credit card insurance, small claims court, or whatever. But we would all like to know what happened to the luggage. I see the possible scenarios as - it is still on the ship - it went to the airport or hotel on the HAL transfer bus and sits in some room unclaimed - it is at the port office unclaimed somewhere. If it was left on the ship and came off at the end of the next cruise that could be the case and the initial inquiry was before that and no one has looked again.

OP please come back if you hear anything. Hope you can find a new BFF at HAL customer service who will take personal ownership of your problem and check again and again in all these possible places. Have them check KLM baggage office at Schipol as they handle most claims for most airlines by contract. If it was dropped off by a bus and left curbside because you obviously weren't there to claim it, it would go to them. You could also call US 800 number for KLM and inquire. They can message their baggage office at Schipol. And try contacting the port agent yourself - maybe HAL wasn't aggressive enough in their initial inquiry. And the HAL hotel in Amsterdam too.

Did you take old bag tags from your trip over off the bags? Check that airline also as it may have gone to them if the old tags were left on.

You want your own stuff back, not a check, no matter the size of it. Best of luck to you and your mother.

Second this.

Everyone got their panties in a twist over the price of used panties and bras, pre-clearance of customs, what insurance is best, etc. - all off topic.

Hope OP gets a resolution from HAL, credit card insurance, small claims court, or whatever. But we would all like to know what happened to the luggage. I see the possible scenarios as - it is still on the ship - it went to the airport or hotel on the HAL transfer bus and sits in some room unclaimed - it is at the port office unclaimed somewhere. If it was left on the ship and came off at the end of the next cruise that could be the case and the initial inquiry was before that and no one has looked again.

OP please come back if you hear anything. Hope you can find a new BFF at HAL customer service who will take personal ownership of your problem and check again and again in all these possible places. Have them check KLM baggage office at Schipol as they handle most claims for most airlines by contract. If it was dropped off by a bus and left curbside because you obviously weren't there to claim it, it would go to them. You could also call US 800 number for KLM and inquire. They can message their baggage office at Schipol. And try contacting the port agent yourself - maybe HAL wasn't aggressive enough in their initial inquiry. And the HAL hotel in Amsterdam too.

Did you take old bag tags from your trip over off the bags? Check that airline also as it may have gone to them if the old tags were left on.

You want your own stuff back, not a check, no matter the size of it. Best of luck to you and your mother.

Great post.

Good suggestions. :)

Sorry but I am not about to get deeper into a conversation about ladies' underwear with some strange man on the internet. It's just weird and creepy.

Doesn't really matter what the value of the luggage was, the contract states $100. It's no different than the airlines ticket stating $250 (I think was on my last flight ticket) for lost or damaged luggage.

The companies know stuff happens, that's why they include that wording on the contract. And I don't think it is just HAL, I think all cruiselines have the same or similar wording in their contracts.

I doubt if insurance would even cover the full amount the OP says her luggage was worth.

I hope her luggage turns up sometime, but be prepared for it not to. My brother lost a suitcase on a domestic flight from Detroit to LAX (maybe 20 years ago) and the suitcase never has shown up.

Just to take this discussion a little further sideways... Many years ago my brother -in-law went to the Middle East on business. When he arrived, his suitcase didn't. He was there for several weeks and it never showed up. Back home and still no trace. At least six months later his suitcase showed up. The REALLY BIZARRE part ... His clothing had been worn! Ewwwwww!

Doesn't really matter what the value of the luggage was, the contract states $100. It's no different than the airlines ticket stating $250 (I think was on my last flight ticket) for lost or damaged luggage.

The companies know stuff happens, that's why they include that wording on the contract. And I don't think it is just HAL, I think all cruiselines have the same or similar wording in their contracts.

I doubt if insurance would even cover the full amount the OP says her luggage was worth.

I hope her luggage turns up sometime, but be prepared for it not to. My brother lost a suitcase on a domestic flight from Detroit to LAX (maybe 20 years ago) and the suitcase never has shown up.

There's a store somewhere in the States where all that lost/unclaimed luggage is eventually sent. The contents are then offered for sale. I saw a TV feature about it a number of years ago but forget exactly where the store is located. I am sure there is a reader out there who knows exactly where it is and what it is called.

There's a store somewhere in the States where all that lost/unclaimed luggage is eventually sent. The contents are then offered for sale. I saw a TV feature about it a number of years ago but forget exactly where the store is located. I am sure there is a reader out there who knows exactly where it is and what it is called.

Take your pick....

Ebay.

Swap Meets.

Garage Sales.

Craigs list.

Scottsboro, Alabama

http://unclaimedbaggage.com/p/about/our_story

I saw that program too. I think this is the place:

Unclaimed Baggage Center

509 West Willow Street

Scottsboro, Alabama 35768

http://unclaimedbaggage.com/p/about/directions

Perhaps it is here. ;)

http://unclaimedbaggage.com

I've been there! Some of the stuff they have is absolutely amazing! I think they must buy unclaimed/lost luggage from places other than airlines, and have other sources, because I kept looking around and wondering "Why in the world would somebody take that on a plane?" :D IMO most of it was junk, and what wasn't was overpriced.

Edited by jtl513

Why are you so hung up on this? Nowhere did I see any indication that the OP was asking for more than the actual worth. What other people pay for their underwear is their business, surely.:rolleyes:

In one of the OP's posts, she said that they added up the value of their clothes & in one suitcase it was more than $4000..I believe that is why some posters are talking about used clothes.. Used clothing, shoes, purses even those worn once are worth a fraction of their costs..

See my post No. 57 where I mention the Unclaimed baggage center in Scottsboro, ALA..

Quote BTW don't know if anyone has ever been to the "unclaimed Baggage Center" in Scottsboro,Ala..

It takes 90 days to declare baggage lost on the airlines..These people buy that luggage after 90 days..The process more than a million pieces a year..

This is an article in Travel & Leisure about this warehouse..

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ggage-bargains Unquote

That is for unclaimed baggage on Airlines in the U.S. ..However, I'm not sure if Cruise lines would send their unclaimed baggage there.. Perhaps there is a similar warehouse in Europe or other places in the world where International unclaimed baggage is sent, but don't really know that for sure..

Edited by serendipity1499

You have hit the nail on the head! I also wonder if insurance would cover the amount which the OP claims it was worth, ($4000) unless they purchased replacement cost insurance.. Not even sure if any company offers replacement cost insurance for lost luggage..

Our yearly homeowners insurance is very high as we have replacement cost with a $2,000 deductible..

Edited by serendipity1499

We lived in northern Alabama for a while. I kept meaning to go to the unclaimed baggage store but never made it there. Once the airline (quite possibly cruiseline too) has paid the owner for the 'lost' luggage (no matter how ridiculously small that amount may be), they become the owner of the luggage and all of the contents. Those are the items sold off at the unclaimed luggage store(s). I 'think' there is more than one.

Even if the items in the luggage can clearly be identified as to the original owner, those items now belong to the airline. In one news story I saw the reporter was holding a video tape that had a large sticker that said something along the lines of: "personal library of Leonard Maltin". Given that he was a well-known film critic then, it should have be easy to return his lost luggage to him. No doubt the luggage was found after the airline paid him for his lost bag so those things were no longer his.

I'm sorry the OP has to go through this. Some time back I saw a thread on another forum (Celebrity / Royal Caribbean ????) about the same situation, luggage apparently never made it off the ship. That poster also had to go through the laborious task of submitting a list to the cruise line of all items in the suitcase - for the same measly amount of $100. That thread covered the saga for some time. I don't think that poster ever received satisfaction from the cruise line. In that case I believe she had to file a claim with her homeowners insurance.

DH and I find the assertion some have made that the OP is at fault for delivering the suitcases to the elevators herself to be laughable. I've read some 'interesting' :rolleyes: ideas here over the years, but this one is over the top.

I wish the OP good luck, but I'm not holding my breath that it will be resolved to her satisfaction. HAL quickly finding the suitcases would be the best outcome. I hope that happens.

Edited by Mary Ellen

Update

Thursday came and went and I was disappointed in not having heard back from our contact at HAL. Knowing that she only worked until Thursday I figured I would call Monday morning. So I was surprised when I woke up this morning and had received an email from Guest Relations. While it was just to inform me that she had not heard back from security on the ship I do appreciate the fact that she is keeping me informed. This is a step in the right direction I think.

This thread has provided some good ideas for avenues to explore. Thanks Terri for the link to Chris Elliot., this might prove extremely helpful down the line. Our ultimate goal would be to recover our suitcases or if that is not possible then hopefully work it out with HAL. I would like to give sufficient time for that to happen.

Followup on the credit card used to purchase the cruise-- unfortunately that card does not cover lost baggage.

Finally, there has been someone posting about me not understanding the law and more so a slight fixation of the value vs depreciation value of my underwear. I am not a lawyer or an accountant but I do understand the differences between the economic terms. I am also proficient at reading comprehension and I will refer you back to my original post. The relevant area would be in the section of the email I received from HAL telling me that my luggage was not recovered. HAL asked me to, and again I quote;

"If, however, you do not have any sort of travel protection we ask that you provide an itemized list of the belongings with brand and purchase price along with the brand, purchase price, and year purchased of your suitcase. If you happen to have receipts for any of the items those would be greatly appreciated."

This is exactly what we did. How you perceive things should be done is completely irrelevant. And just for the record we did not, nor have we ever had the need, to purchase our underwear used from Goodwill.

Thanks to everyone for their supportive comments and some really great suggestions. It is much appreciated.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

Oh yes - some of these posts are weird as well as off point.

Originally Posted by pv girl View Post

Second this.

Sorry.

I thought there were some good suggestions in this post. :o

Update

Thursday came and went and I was disappointed in not having heard back from our contact at HAL. Knowing that she only worked until Thursday I figured I would call Monday morning. So I was surprised when I woke up this morning and had received an email from Guest Relations. While it was just to inform me that she had not heard back from security on the ship I do appreciate the fact that she is keeping me informed. This is a step in the right direction I think.

This thread has provided some good ideas for avenues to explore. Thanks Terri for the link to Chris Elliot., this might prove extremely helpful down the line. Our ultimate goal would be to recover our suitcases or if that is not possible then hopefully work it out with HAL. I would like to give sufficient time for that to happen.

Followup on the credit card used to purchase the cruise-- unfortunately that card does not cover lost baggage.

Finally, there has been someone posting about me not understanding the law and more so a slight fixation of the value vs depreciation value of my underwear. I am not a lawyer or an accountant but I do understand the differences between the economic terms. I am also proficient at reading comprehension and I will refer you back to my original post. The relevant area would be in the section of the email I received from HAL telling me that my luggage was not recovered. HAL asked me to, and again I quote;

"If, however, you do not have any sort of travel protection we ask that you provide an itemized list of the belongings with brand and purchase price along with the brand, purchase price, and year purchased of your suitcase. If you happen to have receipts for any of the items those would be greatly appreciated."

This is exactly what we did. How you perceive things should be done is completely irrelevant. And just for the record we did not, nor have we ever had the need, to purchase our underwear used from Goodwill.

Thanks to everyone for their supportive comments and some really great suggestions. It is much appreciated.

Rochelle

Thanks for the update