Question about gurantees

nana51

I was wondering if the old adage is true. "The closer to the day of your cruise you get your room assignment the better chance you will be upgraded. We sail in about 2 weeks and have not been given our room assignments yet. This does not bother me as I know they are still "shuffling" rooms around. My friends are quite worried though, even when I tell them this is quite common. I will be fine with whatever we get, but maybe I could assuage them by telling them we will probably get at least a little upgrade. We are down for obstructed OV.

Cabin assignments range from weeks out to "at the pier" upon boarding. Upgrades depend on many variables and the Line. I generally always book GTYs and get upgrades, within the same cabin category. Don't worry, the upgrade fairy will likely strike.

This is an Alaska port of call forum, your question may be better suited for the cruise lines forum.

Agree. On the Holland America board this is discussed almost daily. First, each cruise sales and cabin assignment needs are different, so it would be extremely difficult to prove this "old adage".

Second, common room assignment on a GTY booking on HAL is from 10-21 days prior to sailing. There are a few that appear before 21 days (like our last one, that appeared at 24 days, a SC GTY that got us a SB cabin) and some that appear under 10 days, up to dockside.

Last time I had a guarantee, we didn't get our assignment until just a few days before sailing, and we pretty much got exactly what we booked. Technically it was one category up, but that just means it was a little further down the hall, closer to midship.

Don't worry, you will get a room, but don't be holding your breath for a great upgrade either.

We booked a guarantee interior, cheapest price after final pmt last summer for an Island Princess 14 day. We had a great price, thus the booking and my husband wanted to see Alaska. We were assigned an obstructed OV midship about 2 weeks after booking! We were so happy for both the location and upgrade!