Rosacea any one??

My daughter has rosacea. She has been to a dermatologist and has a prescription cream however the cream only keeps the red down for a few hours. Does any one else have Rosacea and what do you do to cover it up?? She powders the heck out of her face but there just has to be something that works better. Thank you for any advice other than " stay out of the sun" because thats NOT going to happen on a Caribbean cruise. :rolleyes:

I have been dealing with Rosacea for over 25 years and use the cream that keeps the red down for some hours; I just reapply when the redness comes back. I too use a mineral powder to cover the redness.

Wish I could tell you of a miracle cure. When I drink wine, sit in the sunshine, eat spicy food, or exercise, there is is again. And I have fairly dark olive skin. I've learned to just live with it and look like I have a sunburn....or a healthy glow!

I also use Bare Minerals with a great deal of success. I have learned to wear a hat,use sunscreen and I have managed to cope with this in Aruba a and other island locations. It is a learning process-I too wish there were some "magic"to tell you...

There are two types of drugs for rosacea. The first, Metrogel and Finacea help keep the breakouts to a minimum. The second is a vaso-constrictor that shrinks the blood vessels for a short time to alleviate the redness. I find that the redness comes back with a vengeance when it wears off. It's called "rebound". I don't use it anymore because of that.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for rosacea and all you can do is treat it symptomatically. It is important to use the creams/gels. A dermatologist told me that your nose will get bigger if you don't. Think WC Fields::eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkq0UD0Nd5KJ925a3OnbhVuBCAJNIYTu4pgFarg4cEQFDvsTv6

I've had success with photfacial laser treatments.

I go for a series of three treatments (a week apart) once a year and it keeps the symptoms at bay. I keep my cream in my travel bag, but I haven't used it in about 7 months now.

I understand that these don't work for everyone, but it might be worth a try.

I have had rosacea for 3 years.

I use Metrogel twice a day.

I have just finished a 5 month course of mild antibiotics called oxytetracycline.

Neither alleviate my symptoms very much at all.

But, I do use the metrogel because I am beyond terrified that my nose will get inflamed!

I use Clinique Superbalanced Foundation, apparently it's best to use oil-free products.

Sometimes I use Bare Minerals too.

Nothing really masks my redness, but I try not to stress too much about it anymore, as stress makes it worse.

I try to stay out of the sun and keep away from the known food triggers, but it's hard!

Thank you everyone. I'm going to order the bare minerals powder and tell her to give it a try.

I have slight redness, and I also use Bare Minerals.

If you have an Ulta or Sephora close, they carry it. Some malls also have Bare Mineral stores. I would check there first, if possible. If your daughter lives close to you, you can even go in for a makeup demo, and get the best match for her skin.

I have slight redness, and I also use Bare Minerals.

If you have an Ulta or Sephora close, they carry it. Some malls also have Bare Mineral stores. I would check there first, if possible. If your daughter lives close to you, you can even go in for a makeup demo, and get the best match for her skin.

Great idea! She is 22 and lives with me. There us a Sephora in our local mall. Her Rosacea is just one more thing she has to deal with and it was only diagnosed last year.

Great idea! She is 22 and lives with me. There us a Sephora in our local mall. Her Rosacea is just one more thing she has to deal with and it was only diagnosed last year.

They also recently just came out with BareSkin Brightening Serum Foundation. Maybe you could also have them test that on her. I have read good reviews, but not sure how well it covers Rosacea.

Debbie

Guest maddycat

I've had rosacea for about 10 years. I use Metrogel and Finacea twice a day without fail. My rosacea is under control. No bumps and no red flush.

I wash my face with Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser twice daily and apply Cetaphil daily facial moisturizer (with sunscreen SPF 15) in the morning after applying the Metrogel and Finacea.

When I do go out in the sun (ie. Caribbean cruise) I apply Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen broad spectrum SPF 100. My face doesn't get any color, no tan but I also don't get red.

It is important to be consistant and not skip the meds.

Thanks for all the great responses. We're going to go try some bare minerals before she puts on her cream. So we can see if it will cover the red or at least dull it down.

She has stuff for breakouts and cream for the redness. But of course it comes back when you LEAST want it to. :eek:

Guest maddycat
Thanks for all the great responses. We're going to go try some bare minerals before she puts on her cream. So we can see if it will cover the red or at least dull it down.

She has stuff for breakouts and cream for the redness. But of course it comes back when you LEAST want it to. :eek:

She should try to discover what triggers her rosacea. For me it's sun, spicey food, and cold wind.

A couple of weeks ago on our shopping channel, there was a gal selling IT cosmetics - she did her complete make-up on screen and it was quite apparent she had rosacea. Here's the site - maybe your daughter will find some help there:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/a/It-Cosmetics/_/N-1z13c70?ciSelector=searchResults&cmpid=PS_Non!bing!&CAPCID=4063932327&CADEVICE=c&CA_6C15C=330000200000108379

Good luck!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Before applying makeup, try using a green tinted foundation primer. Green counteracts redand helps to reduce the appearance of redness. I like ELF's green primer. It's $3, but works very well. L'oreal and Smashbox also make really good green primers.

Here's what helps me:

- wear a hat - the heat & sun will cause a flare up

- try different sunscreens. Gentle ones. Neutrogena face sunscreen gives me an immediate flare!

- wash with Cetaphil

If she uses Bare Minerals foundation she may wind up,with a 'ghost face' in photos. Just something to watch for if she's wanting nice photos done. I now use Neutrogena BB Face Evening cream and it works better for me with no flare up.

Before applying makeup, try using a green tinted foundation primer. Green counteracts redand helps to reduce the appearance of redness. I like ELF's green primer. It's $3, but works very well. L'oreal and Smashbox also make really good green primers.

Yes!! I could not remember for the life of me what color covers red! I knew they had different colors for different problems but couldn't remember which wich was which ; )

Here's what helps me:

- wear a hat - the heat & sun will cause a flare up

- try different sunscreens. Gentle ones. Neutrogena face sunscreen gives me an immediate flare!

- wash with Cetaphil

If she uses Bare Minerals foundation she may wind up,with a 'ghost face' in photos. Just something to watch for if she's wanting nice photos done. I now use Neutrogna BB Face Evening cream and it works better for me with no flare up.

Thank you. Was looking for a gentle face wash was trying to remember what I used years ago and that's it...cetaphil!! Now that's on my list too!

Yes!! I could not remember for the life of me what color covers red! I knew they had different colors for different problems but couldn't remember which wich was which ; )

Clinique has a rosacea line. The powder is yellow. :)

I used to have mild rosacea. I switched to JUrlique sensitive skin cleanser which is a gentle, plant based facial cleanser and stopped wearing foundation. I use a Kiehls face cream--very lightly.

I only wear a very light loose powder, no cover up, no foundation.

I wear a broad brimmed hat in the sun, try to limit caffeine, and stay away from other triggers (certain spicy foods in my case.)

My rosacea is about 99% under control without medication. I think the heavy make ups I use to wear to try to cover it were making it worse, but the biggest change came when I switched to the Jurlique sensitive skin facial cleanser.

In the past I've used Finacea gel and it worked well. While I still have redness in my skin, bumps are gone and I just wear light make-up to tone down redness and gave up worrying about it.

I couldn't use Metrogel or Finacea--they both flared my face up worse than the rosacea did.

For the last 8 years I've washed my face with Neutrogena unscented face soap, and I use Eucerin Calming Creme as a moisturizer. I do this daily without fail. I use Clinique Even Better foundation. These are the only products that I let touch my face, and I haven't had a flare up on my face for a long time.

When I get a flare up on my neck which is the most common place for me I found that good old Noxema calms the itching and redness as does the Eucerin creme, but the Noxema is better. My triggers are black pepper and other spices. I guess it's different for everyone. The only sunscreen that doesn't cause a rash for me is Aveeno for babies with zinc oxide. I tried several sunscreens that were for sensitive skin including Neutrogena, but they caused a terrible breakout.

We went yesterday to sephora and got a nice moisturizer, bare minerals prime time foundation primer with a yellow base to tone down the red, and bare minerals powder and brush. To the tune of $108. She looked so nice when we left I couldn't even regret spending that much. Thank God for all the babysitting money this week : )

It was kind of funny when she looked at me and said...umm your paying , right??