TSA implementting enhanced Security at some overseas airoirts

I think there will be lots of people who will have forgotten to charge a phone or ipo, pad, etc. and be leaving them with TSA. People do lose their chargers and forget to charge their electronics. And, don't forget they might want you to turn on a kindle or nook.

You assume wrong. It was for anyone traveling with a child under 16, including families.

A passport, at least a USA passport, shows a home address and, hopefully, all the children have the same address as their parents. Older children were asked who the adults were that were with them (This is according to a family that was on the same tour as us and went through security when we did. Their sons were 24 and 12).

In any case, as you had the notarized letter, you would not have had any problems.

Included in the list of required information was for anyone who had a deceased spouse (or one of the parents were deceased) and traveling with a child, a certified copy of the death certificate was required.

well I guess this would cause some distress as Canadian passports do not include a home address (it is for proof of citizenship not address), I wouldn't have a notarized letter if we were travelling as a family so would only have our passports as identification for our children.

DHs suspicion is that there was a report of a child abduction or something of the like.

Edited by 1of4

What is the necessity for having these devices charged? And doesn't one usually keep them charged? What good are they if they are not?

Our son is on his constantly in the car and often forgets to charge it the night before. So yes, the point is to have them charged but life happens and by the time we get to screening that would be a nasty surprise. Also some people like to use their devices one the flight before they get to an airport with the prescreening so that would cause devices to be low.

just something else to monitor and watch for when getting ready to fly.

And, don't forget they might want you to turn on a kindle or nook.

I've never used a nook, but you can't turn *off* a Kindle...it actually drives me up the wall when flight attendants tell passengers at takeoff to turn their Kindles off.

You can have it in screensaver mode, or if the battery is dead, it'll display the dead battery graphic. I've never seen any of my Kindles with a completely blank screen, even when the battery was completely drained.

I've never used a nook, but you can't turn *off* a Kindle...it actually drives me up the wall when flight attendants tell passengers at takeoff to turn their Kindles off.

You can have it in screensaver mode, or if the battery is dead, it'll display the dead battery graphic. I've never seen any of my Kindles with a completely blank screen, even when the battery was completely drained.

I beg to differ. My Kindle most certainly can be turned off using the spring-loaded on-off switch. Yes, it has a screensaver mode too.

I beg to differ. My Kindle most certainly can be turned off using the spring-loaded on-off switch. Yes, it has a screensaver mode too.

On our last trip we were allowed to use Kindles, etc. in airplane mode the entire trip. I was thrilled. In the past, I would have it in airplane mode and asleep.

Trish

An excellent question. Obviously, or at least hopefully, they have a way to deal with that. I certainly won't be putting valuable electronics in my checked luggage to avoid the security check....I can just see the luggage thieves drooling at that possibility. :)

I agree -- I don't put anything valuable in checked luggage either. All that kind of stuff goes into the carry-ons.

Heathrow has some of the dumbest security on the planet. They flagged me as having liquids------they were empty bottles. And, they speak English!!

You were searched because empty bottles mean you could make something on board put the empty bottles in your checked bags

What is the necessity for having these devices charged? And doesn't one usually keep them charged? What good are they if they are not?

It shows that you have not gutted the device to put something bad in it if you can't keep it up then don't run it down or they will take from you just do don't ask question you wont win.

You were searched because empty bottles mean you could make something on board put the empty bottles in your checked bags

Empty bottles pose no threat and there is no prohibition against them. I frequently carry an empty bottle through screening and fill it once reaching the waiting lounge. Never had a problem.

Besides, one can purchase bottled water, soft drinks and other beverages in most waiting areas once past the security check, and there is no prohibition against bringing them on board. The same applies to duty-free liquor, perfumes and other liquids.

Empty bottles pose no threat and there is no prohibition against them. I frequently carry an empty bottle through screening and fill it once reaching the waiting lounge. Never had a problem.

Besides, one can purchase bottled water, soft drinks and other beverages in most waiting areas once past the security check, and there is no prohibition against bringing them on board. The same applies to duty-free liquor, perfumes and other liquids.

You've already passed through security before you by your pop water I really can't explain the rest .

Actually, this is not always the case. On one of my Air New Zealand flights, I had to dispose of all liquids, regardless of the fact they were purchased after i cleared security before I was allowed to board the plane.

The stewards brought water promptly when we were settled, but we did have to trow away any liquids before boarding, even the unopened water I just bought.

Actually, this is not always the case. On one of my Air New Zealand flights, I had to dispose of all liquids, regardless of the fact they were purchased after i cleared security before I was allowed to board the plane.

The stewards brought water promptly when we were settled, but we did have to trow away any liquids before boarding, even the unopened water I just bought.

Very unusual. Was any explanation provided?

Very unusual. Was any explanation provided?

No, but it must have been an airport wide directive, because the Singapore Airlines flight boarding at the gate had passengers dispose of all liquids as well. I heard the announcement.

And I find airports/airlines/security very rarely give "explanations" for anything these days, even when directly queried.

No, but it must have been an airport wide directive, because the Singapore Airlines flight boarding at the gate had passengers dispose of all liquids as well. I heard the announcement.

And I find airports/airlines/security very rarely give "explanations" for anything these days, even when directly queried.

Perhaps the was some type of security scare at the airport. Guess we'll never Know.