Anchorage to Seward transport

Twintides

We are travelling independently in Alaska before our cruise from Seward to Vancouver on RCI in August. Our TA's confirmation says that RCI passengers can meet at the Anchorage Downtown Marriott for transport to Seward. Does anyone have knowledge of how this works, can we get a bus there or must we make our own arrangement for transport to the dock? RCI have not replied to my query via their website.

If you haven't already paid for transfer, almost all of RCI's transfers are over priced. We just did that cruise and we would strongly recommend the Alaska Railroad. The scenery is stunning. Buy your tickets online.

The only disadvantage you need to get to the train station at 5:45AM for a 6:45 train departure. There is a free RCI luggage dropoff tent at the train station. They take your luggage from there directly to the ship. The train drops you off, and RCI has free shuttles to the dock. If you don't want to wait for the first shuttle at 12:30 it is only a 15 minutes walk to the terminal.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'd also recommend the train. When we did it a few years ago, the train slowed down unexpectedly. Some of the crew went through our car towards the front of the train and saw that I had a video camera and asked me if I wanted them to take pictures of a moose on the tracks. Of course I said yes. I now have a video of a moose slowly walking down the center of the tracks, turning around and looking at the train, walking a little more and looking again. My video ends with the moose deciding to leave and trotting off into the woods.

Lots of great scenery even if you don't get a visit from a moose.

And another vote for the RR.

And a vote for going to Seward a day early if you can work that into your schedule. Nice town. The sealife center was enjoyable and Exit glacier was amazing.

Brad

We did the Alaska RR thru RCI. we called the Marriott and they told us we could meet them at the terminal since we were staying at a Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn is a good pre cruise

hotel. Free shuttle from the airport and a great free breakfast and free shuttle back to the airport, because that is where you get the RR. There was no transportation at the end of the train ride because the train stops at the end of the tracks and that's where the pier is. I don't know what the other poster was commenting on about a 15 minute transportation ride at the end of the train ride.

We did the Alaska RR thru RCI. we called the Marriott and they told us we could meet them at the terminal since we were staying at a Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn is a good pre cruise

hotel. Free shuttle from the airport and a great free breakfast and free shuttle back to the airport, because that is where you get the RR. There was no transportation at the end of the train ride because the train stops at the end of the tracks and that's where the pier is. I don't know what the other poster was commenting on about a 15 minute transportation ride at the end of the train ride.

We were not on RCCL taking a cruise out of Seward, so my information is based on reading these boards, not my own experience, so please double check this info (We took the regular Alaska Railroad train):

1. The regular run of the Alaska Railroad (6:45 AM) goes from the Anchorage train terminal to the Seward train terminal.

2. The cruise line transfer train goes from the Anchorage Airport directly to the Seward cruise port. (Not sure if they also have a train from the downtown terminal.)

So, if you book the railroad on your own (which is probably cheaper) you will need to board in downtown Anchorage, not the airport, and you will need to get from the train to the ship.

Brad

When we were on an RCI cruisetour in Alaska a few years ago, we checked with Alaska RR and decided that the cost was higher than we wished to pay (I think they quoted us $60pp) and so we were resigned to taking the RCI bus transfer. Imagine our delight when our tour guide advised us that we could take the train from Anchorage airport to Seward for $25 pp (RCI provided a free bus transfer from the Marriott to the airport train station). It left at about 1pm vs the early morning train or the RCI bus and was perhaps the best leg of the train portion of the land tour.

Thanks for all the suggestions.The RR sounds great but we will be arriving in Anchorage by the Parks Connection bus from Denali at 1.30pm, so too late for that airport connection if it is still on offer. It would have been a help if RCI had answered my query about this via their website.

I hadn't booked right through to Seward because I rather naively thought that RCI transported people from Anchorage. Also perhaps my map was too small and I didn't realise how far it was!

So I guess I'll book on the bus continuing on to the port (departs at 3pm)

Really looking forward to all the treats that Alaska and the coastal cruise has in store (first time cruisers!)

We are going next May and have hired a car in Anchorage which we can then hand back in Seward. We thought it would be fun to do it under our own steam and we want to stop on the way down to go into the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Centre. It will be good to be able to stop to take photos as well. :)

That's a excellent point. There must be two different trains. The one from the airport branches off to the pier. The train from downtown branches off to 'downtown' Seward which is a 15 minute WALK from that train terminal. RCI also runs shuttles to the pier and transports your luggage from Anchorage. Both trains take the same route it's only different for the first 2 miles and the last mile.

No matter how you travel, bus, train, car; the route is pretty much the same. BTW the cost of the train from downtown is $85/pp. We choose the train because we had already rented an SUV and made the long drive to Denali National Park. Another 3+ hour drive to Seward was more than we wanted to endure. All of the options are great!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/seward+AK+pier/@60.1298656,-149.4279564,15z

• 4 weeks later...
When we were on an RCI cruisetour in Alaska a few years ago, we checked with Alaska RR and decided that the cost was higher than we wished to pay (I think they quoted us $60pp) and so we were resigned to taking the RCI bus transfer. Imagine our delight when our tour guide advised us that we could take the train from Anchorage airport to Seward for $25 pp (RCI provided a free bus transfer from the Marriott to the airport train station). It left at about 1pm vs the early morning train or the RCI bus and was perhaps the best leg of the train portion of the land tour.

Does anyone know if RCI cruisetour still offer this option...$25 pp for the RCI's train ride from Anchorage to Seward? I have not yet see a post saying they got to do that this year. I called RCI about two months ago and they told me it won't be an option. We will have to stick to the cruistoure transportation arrangement which is bus from Talkeetna to Anchorage then bus again from Anchorage to Seward. Heard so many good things about the train ride between Anchorage and Seward and don't not want to miss it!! Leaving in 8 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if RCI cruisetour still offer this option...$25 pp for the RCI's train ride from Anchorage to Seward? I have not yet see a post saying they got to do that this year. I called RCI about two months ago and they told me it won't be an option. We will have to stick to the cruistoure transportation arrangement which is bus from Talkeetna to Anchorage then bus again from Anchorage to Seward. Heard so many good things about the train ride between Anchorage and Seward and don't not want to miss it!! Leaving in 8 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given the cost of the train it's hard to believe an upgrade is only $25.

Call again .... ask for a supervisor. Be persistent.

That's a excellent point. There must be two different trains. The one from the airport branches off to the pier. The train from downtown branches off to 'downtown' Seward which is a 15 minute WALK from that train terminal. RCI also runs shuttles to the pier and transports your luggage from Anchorage. Both trains take the same route it's only different for the first 2 miles and the last mile.

No matter how you travel, bus, train, car; the route is pretty much the same. BTW the cost of the train from downtown is $85/pp. We choose the train because we had already rented an SUV and made the long drive to Denali National Park. Another 3+ hour drive to Seward was more than we wanted to endure. All of the options are great!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/seward+AK+pier/@60.1298656,-149.4279564,15z

The train route and Seward Highway are VERY different and absolutely not the "same" as noted above. Take a look at a map for the details. Between Portage and Seward is superior scenery, by train.

There ARE two different trains. Big problem is, the cruise contracted train, leaves Anchorage ( too early for much activity prior, and arrives in Seward too late for much touring. It is superior to take the regular run of the Alaska RR, getting into Seward at least in time for a wide selection of touring choices. Or course this would depend if interested? (which plenty people aren't)

I would suggest you ask the first day you start your cruisetour, what may or may not be available for an "upgrade".

We are booking a cruise where we will disembark in Seward and we'd like to rent a car out of Anchorage (more options - as far as I can find, Hertz is the only option in Seward). We are looking for transportation options TO Anchorage. Suggestions?

We are booking a cruise where we will disembark in Seward and we'd like to rent a car out of Anchorage (more options - as far as I can find, Hertz is the only option in Seward). We are looking for transportation options TO Anchorage. Suggestions?

yes, hertz is the only vendor.

Other options are Alaska Railroad, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, cruise transfer, independent transfer.

We just used:

www.alaskacruisetransfer.com

A private bus company from Seward to ANC. It left Seward at 8:00am and arrived directly nonstop right to ANC at 10:30am.

There is another option....we booked a transfer package with Salmonberry Tours. They transport between Anchorage and Seward seeing sights along the way. We had stops at the Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska which included a tramride up the mountain, lunch at a sandwich shop in Girdwood, and a visit to Exit Glacier. It was a great tour and I was glad someone else was doing the driving so we could enjoy the scenery.

Have fun on your trip.