Tunisia

Tunisia is one of our ports of call. Anyone visited there? Some reviews I have read said to stay away from markets/shopping. What was your experience?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do not say which port but we assume you will be at the port for Tunis. Personally, we find North African ports to be quite interesting but there are others who do not enjoy the experience of this country. The vendors and others that want your business (like locals who want to be your guide) can be quite persistent and even somewhat pushy/annoying. Some of us can handle that kind of thing better then others. I should add that DW and I actually enjoy the markets (souks) and interacting with locals, but most cruisers tend to book cruise line excursions where their environment is somewhat controlled by the tour guides. There is also a pretty decent beach in Tunis for the really adventurous. DW and I went to the beach on a Sunday when there were thousands of locals...and we had thousands of eyes watching our every move. DW was the only blonde on the beach and the only female wearing a swim suit because the local women are fully covered in burka-like outfits.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm not overly fond of shopping and the souk in Tunis isn't one of the most appealing. But there are lots of other things to do in Tunis, including the Bardo Museum, recently completely redone and home to the largest collection of Roman-era mosaics anywhere in the world.

There are also the ruins of Carthage (picturesque but very ruined, most meaningful if you are interested in ancient history) -- these include the old city on the hill, the Antonine baths (Roman era) on the water, and the remains of the Carthaginian naval harbor, among others.

Thanks! I appreciate your input. Yes, it is Tunis. We have booked a ship excursion to some of the ruins, I believe. I don't really care to go shopping and I heard that the shopkeepers can be quite demanding and persistent. I don't feel comfortable dealing with them. And I wasn't really comfortable booking a private tour either.

I'm not overly fond of shopping and the souk in Tunis isn't one of the most appealing. But there are lots of other things to do in Tunis, including the Bardo Museum, recently completely redone and home to the largest collection of Roman-era mosaics anywhere in the world.

There are also the ruins of Carthage (picturesque but very ruined, most meaningful if you are interested in ancient history) -- these include the old city on the hill, the Antonine baths (Roman era) on the water, and the remains of the Carthaginian naval harbor, among others.

We visited the Bardo and the mosiacs are fantastic. You have to have dinars to pay to get in. Usually the cruise ship also has tours but we just took a taxi from the port.

We visited Carthage but found it too ruined for our enjoyment (other than the Baths).

I would add Sidi bu Said as an nice place, a little over run on cruise day but a pretty town on the coast. You can actually catch the tram from near the ship (but my daughter found that a little "sketchy").

Actually, according to Cruise Critic's organization of ports (see list in the bar next to Other Mediterranean Ports), this is the correct forum for Tunis.

Yes someone did not pass their geography lesson!