Compensation - Smoking Policy Change

there is no refund due, no travel plan is locked in, the fine print says subject to change. they gave smokers 90 to cancel with full refunds, when your flight gets canceled you wont have that same option. The comments about demand going down are not valid, 90% of their customer base doesn't smoke, some of them will come out of inside and get a balcony, stock price is down, due to slow sales, but their are more non smokers in the world so this should help sales. I also wouldn't be so fast to jump to another ship, every cruise line will be the same, Carnival and Royal own most lines, they will change it on on brands, I already got told my Princess Balcony is no smoking.

I'm a non smoker, do I think this was needed no, I have never been bothered by a cig being lit up next door, cigars that's a different story, but this is the product they are selling, if you don't want it don't buy it, but don't count on them owing you anything, they don't.

there is no refund due, no travel plan is locked in, the fine print says subject to change. they gave smokers 90 to cancel with full refunds, when your flight gets canceled you wont have that same option.

Why only 90 days for Carnival and not 180, 210 or 240 days or longer like Carnival Corp's other other cruise lines? I think we know why, the data is there. Set it short and they can't cancel. Airline cancels my flight they still have to get me on another flight to my destination.

C'mon Lovtotravel you have never booked airfare more than 90 days out? Looking at your cruise history I'm pretty sure you have.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER

I too think that Carnival planned this change poorly and should have given much more notice. They could have avoided compensation claims from customers whom have booked flights and rooms. Fortunately our cruise is before this balcony ban comes into effect but this will be our last with Carnival. :(

Carnival announces change in balcony smoking policy 9 July 2014 to go in

effect 9 October 2014 - 3 months notice

If Carnival would have delayed this policy change an additional 3 months

the change would have taken place far too close to spring break 2015. Could

you imagine the nightmare.

Put it to you this way, it would be less of a nightmare to have a ship full of

Cruise Critic members than a ship full of spring breakers with crew members

trying to enforce a new smoking policy only a couple months old......:eek:

:)

Why only 90 days for Carnival and not 180, 210 or 240 days or longer like Carnival Corp's other other cruise lines? I think we know why, the data is there. Set it short and they can't cancel. Airline cancels my flight they still have to get me on another flight to my destination.

C'mon Lovtotravel you have never booked airfare more than 90 days out? Looking at your cruise history I'm pretty sure you have.

Chopper, I can't be for certain, but I think that Royal Carribean only gave 3.months notice with their policy change ? Just wondering how they handled reimbursment and if it's in line with what Carnival is doing

Thanks

Chopper, I can't be for certain, but I think that Royal Carribean only gave 3.months notice with their policy change ? Just wondering how they handled reimbursment and if it's in line with what Carnival is doing

Thanks

Lyannea, I looked it up

Royal Caribbean announces change in cabin smoking policy 23 July 2008 phased in from Jan to June 2008 - 6 to 11 months notice

Royal Caribbean announces change in balcony smoking policy 5 Sept 2013 to go in effect 1 January 2014 - 4 months notice

Something tells me RCCL also learned about giving too much notice and the effect on cancellations.

Here are the others

Celebrity announces change in cabin and balcony smoking policy 9 April 2008 to go in effect 1 October 2008 - 6 months notice

Norwegian announces change in cabin smoking policy 9 August 2011 to go in effect January 2012 - 5 months notice

I can't tell how Carnival is handling it as I have yet to receive an e-mail or a post on their web site as to what are our options due to the policy change. They do not want to advertise it of course.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER

Disagree with the poster that said the value of the balcony has either gone down or stayed the same. For me the value has gone up knowing that I will be able to enjoy my balcony cabin the whole cruise instead of being able to enjoy it only when noone is smoking on another balcony. I would be more likely to pay more for a balcony cabin I know I can happily use all the time. I cruise on a few different lines but lean toward NCL. This makes me less likely to book a balcony on NCL knowing there will be even more smokers on that line and makes me more likely to cruise Carnival if I am looking to book a balcony.

Edited by magsis