Compensation - Smoking Policy Change

Now that Carnival has changed the cruise contract due to the smoking policy, what should the compensation be for:

A. The contract change

B. The short notice for the contract change

Should it be nothing, waiving of the ES change/cancellation fee, some form of OBC, airfare change fees, pre-paid hotel fees, excursion deposits?

What if it was a notice that loungers, chairs and tables would no longer be allowed on the balconies. Would you want some form of compensation for booking a balcony over a IS/OV or not being able to cancel and switch to another cruise line?

Please keep it to the topic and not on the issue of smoking.

Apparently from those who have posted they have cancelled and been refunded in full. Airfare has not been refunded according to some. I highly doubt they will lower the price of a balcony stateroom simply due to this though. They may have to start raising rates to compensate for the backlash. Time will tell.

Two trains of thought on that.

It has taken away the benefit of having a balcony room for those who smoke and therefore downgraded its value; or

The room still has a bed and a bath in it and a place to sit outside.

Depending on the passenger, it has either diminished its value or stayed the same.

As they can change the contract anytime they want, per the contract itself, no compensation at all.

Why would they?

As for saying what if they banned chairs, tables, ect...that is silly and taking it to the real extreme. Lets get a grip people.

As they said, this change was due to an overwhelming voice from their customers whether the smokes want to acknowledge that or not.

So, I don't think there will be much of a back lash.

For every customer Carnival "may" lose, they will gain at least one if not more for that person.

Andy

Carnival made a deal with me when I booked the balcony saying my party was allowed to smoke on the balcony. I made all my plans based on the deal they made with me. It's there right to change the deal but I should be compensated for all travel cost the I have ( airline and hotel). If I choose to cancel. Or anyone who had a cruise booked before this week should be grandfathered in to be allowed to smoke. and in about a year or so eventually carnival would be smoke free."

And think about this. If it was the other way around and carnival went from non smoking to smoking the crying would be the same if not worse. And the non smokers would want the same refunds I expect. Full compensation

Any cruiseline that makes a change like this and has given as much advanced notice as this and is offering a full refund such as this,,, is being very kind.

They didn't book your airfare nor did they make any money on your airfare. They (the cruiseline) are not responsible for your airfare.

The consumer who loses any money due to air travel and hotels made a firm decision to make "non refundable" purchases.

If you're losing money due to hotel,,, I can't even imagine why, except that you made reservations via an internet deal where you saved a miniscule amount of money and agreed that they were non refundable. Otherwise the cancellation policy is very generous.

Airfare,,, YOU made the decision to buy non refundable airline tickets. PLUS, you chose to not purchase additional insurance from the airline itself.

THOSE were YOUR decisions,,, not the cruiselines.

BYW: I am a smoker. I will be affected. However,,, the limitations this puts on me as an individual are very minor in the grand scheme of life.

Personally, I think giving only a 90 day notice on a major policy change is not good a good business decision. If they would've announced the effective date, of say Jan. 2015, hardly anybody would be affected with hotel or airline cancellations. You have to know that the beards in Miami have been contemplating the change for a while now, but apparently didn't give enough thought on the impact to a portion of their customers.

Personally, I think giving only a 90 day notice on a major policy change is not good a good business decision. If they would've announced the effective date, of say Jan. 2015, hardly anybody would be affected with hotel or airline cancellations. You have to know that the beards in Miami have been contemplating the change for a while now, but apparently didn't give enough thought on the impact to a portion of their customers.

It stands to reason this date was picked due to something they are probably not about to share, even is asked directly.

It stands to reason this date was picked due to something they are probably not about to share, even is asked directly.

I just went over to my retirement account to see if this was when they issued dividends (it's not) and OUCH! The stock has fallen even more. Not sure whether that makes me (as a smoker) :D or (as a shareholder) :(

I am not one that thinks I should be compensated for things, but I did book a smoking balcony and now I am booked in a nonsmoking balcony. That drastically takes away the value of my balcony. I don't want to cancel my cruise, I have planned, and scheduled time off (both me and husband), and need this cruise. Credit me the difference in price of an ocean view or someting.........................

Apparently from those who have posted they have cancelled and been refunded in full. Airfare has not been refunded according to some. I highly doubt they will lower the price of a balcony stateroom simply due to this though. They may have to start raising rates to compensate for the backlash. Time will tell.

Why in the world would they raise prices because a couple of cabins cancel?

I am not one that thinks I should be compensated for things, but I did book a smoking balcony and now I am booked in a nonsmoking balcony. That drastically takes away the value of my balcony. I don't want to cancel my cruise, I have planned, and scheduled time off (both me and husband), and need this cruise. Credit me the difference in price of an ocean view or someting.........................

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

There should be an up-charge now -- Carnival always charged much more for their smoke-free spa balconies -- you scored a deal! ;)

Zero compensation.

I doubt very seriously stock prices are down because balconies are non smoking. Out of 3500 passengers I bet a very small percentage smoke - less than 10%. RCCL started their nonsmoking balconies and now Carnival is following suit. If it really was a revenue buster no way Carnival follows. After all, the cruise lines are in business to make money.

truthfully i would like to run, carnival made a deal with me, I could smoke on my balciony. That rule was on thier contract thingy , for this upcoming cruise and the cruise i have booked for next October. The assumption was made on each of our parts.

They should of extend the date to the last cruise they were selling for, be it 2015 or 2016. I have to keep my end of the contract they should be held accountable for thier end of the contract.

PS insurance will not cover me if i cancel the cruise over a policy change.. I could buy exactly the same seat on a plane for $200 or for $400. With the $ 400 I can cancel and get airline credit for $200 no cancelation. Hey i always plan to be on my smoking balcoiny cruise who knew when i booked my flight 4 months ago that Carnival was going to change thier policy. I have always planned to keep my end of the contract. I plan on being there.

i know of 4 groups that have cancelled with carnival. I would be there too But I paid one cruise down with the carnival gift card special they had ... I am stuck I have to stay.. I can not cancel.

I going back to NCL and AI

They won't "Increase" the price of balconies to make up for lost Balcony sales...

In this case the Demand for balconies from smokers has decreased the overall demand for balconies, however increasing price of balconies would only serve to further decrease the overall demand for balconies (Which typically always sell out generally)..

In the cruise business, like most hotel businesses, an empty room, is the WORST possible outcome, That's revenue lost that can NEVER be recouped. Carnival would be better off GIVING the room away, then for it to sail empty, (As most cruises pretty much do when occupancy on a ship is low) because then your making revenue on board.

So if demand has decreased for the Balcony, the way to drive demand, is to decrease prices to the point where demand is stoked to meet your previous supply/demand balance.

I am not a smoker and am quite happy with Carnival's decision. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents to the people who think they need to be compensated for airlines and hotel rooms. I say cancel the cruise if you are unhappy and just use your airline tickets and vacation time in the city you were to board from. You should be able to find plenty of places to smoke in the city (but not in the hotel rooms or restaurants I'd venture to say.)

How about just 90 days from announcement?

I highly suspect there was a tremendous amount of discussion regarding the effective date of the change.

I presume the arguments were made for honoring all of the current cruise contracts for balcony cruisers who smoke.

However, I would also guess that there was a decision to implement it as quickly as possible knowing that there would be discussion and criticism until the policy takes effect. Knowing this, they elected to find a future date that would allow for cancellations but not so far out that the negativity surrounding the change would last too long.

Our society has switched from a liberal smoking environment to a restrictive one. People have adapted and this change by Carnival will also pass and cruisers will adapt.

Two trains of thought on that.

It has taken away the benefit of having a balcony room for those who smoke and therefore downgraded its value; or

The room still has a bed and a bath in it and a place to sit outside.

Depending on the passenger, it has either diminished its value or stayed the same.

Or enhanced the value, as I know a few people who will book balconies now that smoking is no longer allowed on them.

The ticket contract is continually changing. No compensation for that.

There was a similar backlash when Carnival actually started enforcing the liquor smuggling provisions. They survived.

This change is in line with what the industry has been doing and will be universal soon enough. The handwriting was on the wall.

It isn't like smoking was banned entirely.

No compensation.

Or enhanced the value, as I know a few people who will book balconies now that smoking is no longer allowed on them.

That is what will be interesting to see. Whether or not all these people jumping up and down saying they will now book balconies will actually fork over the extra money that the smokers have been.

If I didn't smoke, I certainly would not have paid nearly double for a balcony on every cruise. Guess it will all play out.