Just Booked and UPSET! Advice?

No harm, no foul. Honestly, I was surprised that I received so much response on this forum. I signed up and as a big poster on unrelated forums (filmmaking), I actually assumed you would all think I was a slander by hire or something like that because I was brand new with such a heated topic.

Despite some of the people who have contested me here, this is easily the most active, and productive forum i've ever posted on. Too bad i'm not an avid cruiser like most of you all! You've been gracious responding to my posts despite your curiosity... no harm in asking!

Sorry, dinzitari, for the rude awakening here!

I've been on forums since 1998, and all dealt with my other love and passion, aviation.

I certainly believe you are for real, and I'm sorry if I gave you a kick in the, well, you know where, but it was all in jest. Maybe a wake up call when it comes to the greed of cruise lines.

You've been quite the gentleman as to your responses, and there is no need to defend yourself. Just let us know how this turns out!

True Lou!

Lear 60 here ......l

I can take op to bermuda for about $27,000 round trip... At least that's what the charter company I work for would charge!!

Crazy, yes. But true!

Hey all trades come with these qualities. I'd like to see you choose one of 15 planned shots on a feature film because the NYPD is there to shut you down earlier than expected on a main avenue.... talk about crisis!!! :D

What's your rate to Bermuda by the way, and do you take children?

(side note, my bro is in Alabama fro Blackhawk school right now, so I know how mentally sharp a pilot must be)

I know what you're talking about when it comes to film, and I don't even know why! Maybe being a photographer and voice over talent gave me a clue? I just know about this stuff!!

You don't want to know what the rate to Bermuda would be on a Cessna 210 from New Jersey, and then you would need the hotel. It would make the cruise look real cheap!

See what RCI says, and when you hear it and get upset, then take the darn cruise!!

Your daughter is beautiful!! And I do hope that if you don't come to a resolution for a full refund that you consider the 5 day cruise without grandma.. and without the nursery. Sure you won't be building any great memories for her... but you'll have a lifetime of memories for yourself in those 5 days.

I don't know what your family situation is, nor do I want you to expose it here, but I do know that when I had a niece and nephew I jumped at the chance to 'keep them' when possible. Sure, I spoiled them rotten. Sure, it took their parents days to get them back into their routine... but we had a blast! I was also happy to help with co-workers and friends children... one of the best things about not having children is borrowing other people's children. I have a dear friend who's daughter stayed with us for a long weekend... so what if we kept her out of school on Friday to make it a 3 day weekend at Universal! I'm the ever loved Aunt to many children. All this is by saying... consider allowing your blessing to be a blessing to a trusted family or friend. IF that isn't an option (and I do understand your concerns) then take her on the cruise and ENJOY her. The rest will work out.

Babies, young children rarely experience sea-sickness. Does she get motion sick in a car? You said she LOVES the swing. A child who has motion sickness doesn't do swings!

And, if you take her... take her to EVERYTHING... sit in the back of the theater and if she fusses, leave. Take her to dinner and see how she does. We have had some delightful children at our dining table over the years. Take her to the 70s party and dance with her! Take her for her first walk on the deck at night... and show her the stars... and the sunsets... and take lots of pictures of her on the pink sand beaches in Bermuda. You'll be surprised how your vacation will revolve around her 'firsts' and you'll be telling stories at her wedding about your daughter's first cruise. And... if you can consider it... consider a night or two with a sitter, in your cabin. You can drop back in any time and check on her. Chances are... she'll be sleeping and the sitter will be reading.

I think what most of us want is to give you options. I know sometimes we come across as all knowing...and insistent that you do something a certain way. I do hope that whatever you decide to do, and whatever RCI offers you... works for you and your lovely family~ Thanks for keeping us informed... This is a learning experience for all of us.

There she is! (Sorry to hijack this thread).

( see what I did there.......?)

Oy! I am not paying attention today, as we have spoken before recently, Rob!

Sorry!

Lear 65, right?

I just took a glance at the avatar, and now I recall our last thread conversation elsewhere here.

I wish we had PM here for I'd give you my phone number. Unlike the AOPA forums, I do not post my phone number in my signature! However, if you are an AOPA member (you had better be!) you can just search a post from me at the forums and the number is right there in my signature!

Your daughter is beautiful!! And I do hope that if you don't come to a resolution for a full refund that you consider the 5 day cruise without grandma.. and without the nursery. Sure you won't be building any great memories for her... but you'll have a lifetime of memories for yourself in those 5 days.

I don't know what your family situation is, nor do I want you to expose it here, but I do know that when I had a niece and nephew I jumped at the chance to 'keep them' when possible. Sure, I spoiled them rotten. Sure, it took their parents days to get them back into their routine... but we had a blast! I was also happy to help with co-workers and friends children... one of the best things about not having children is borrowing other people's children. I have a dear friend who's daughter stayed with us for a long weekend... so what if we kept her out of school on Friday to make it a 3 day weekend at Universal! I'm the ever loved Aunt to many children. All this is by saying... consider allowing your blessing to be a blessing to a trusted family or friend. IF that isn't an option (and I do understand your concerns) then take her on the cruise and ENJOY her. The rest will work out.

Babies, young children rarely experience sea-sickness. Does she get motion sick in a car? You said she LOVES the swing. A child who has motion sickness doesn't do swings!

And, if you take her... take her to EVERYTHING... sit in the back of the theater and if she fusses, leave. Take her to dinner and see how she does. We have had some delightful children at our dining table over the years. Take her to the 70s party and dance with her! Take her for her first walk on the deck at night... and show her the stars... and the sunsets... and take lots of pictures of her on the pink sand beaches in Bermuda. You'll be surprised how your vacation will revolve around her 'firsts' and you'll be telling stories at her wedding about your daughter's first cruise. And... if you can consider it... consider a night or two with a sitter, in your cabin. You can drop back in any time and check on her. Chances are... she'll be sleeping and the sitter will be reading.

I think what most of us want is to give you options. I know sometimes we come across as all knowing...and insistent that you do something a certain way. I do hope that whatever you decide to do, and whatever RCI offers you... works for you and your lovely family~ Thanks for keeping us informed... This is a learning experience for all of us.

THIS??? Made me smile. Linda, I don't know why you didn't have kids but you sound like you would have made an excellent mother. Well..you have been...to lots of kids it seems. :)

Edited by SMN73

True Lou!

Lear 60 here ......l

I can take op to bermuda for about $27,000 round trip... At least that's what the charter company I work for would charge!!

Crazy, yes. But true!

Let me check my finances and i'll get back to you....

I know what you're talking about when it comes to film, and I don't even know why! Maybe being a photographer and voice over talent gave me a clue? I just know about this stuff!!

You don't want to know what the rate to Bermuda would be on a Cessna 210 from New Jersey, and then you would need the hotel. It would make the cruise look real cheap!

See what RCI says, and when you hear it and get upset, then take the darn cruise!!

So you are telling me for that Kind of money I won't get a suite on the plane?! Let me think of a title for my next thread.... :)

People keep commenting that $2900 is a ridiculous price for a 5 night but really, it is average for this itinerary. Inside Ks start out over $1000. The rest, mid 700s to mid 900s. Along the way there are price drops, but you have to watch and grab them when they come up. So 2k for a double, $400 for the 3rd, and >$500 for taxes and fees and you are at $2900 for an inside cabin. Anyone who booked early and didn't check back is probably paying this price.

Prices have gone down a lot after final payment this year, more than I can remember, but for whatever reason, that 7/26 cruise is more expensive than the 7/12 one I am on. I purchased an M after final at 619pp. Add 182pp tax, cruise care, and I paid >$1700 for the cheapest after final room I could get. And that is for 2 people, not 3. I upgraded further so I'm spending even more.

Just read this, almost missed it. You my dear woman sound exactly how my favorite Aunt was. And, is how we were with our niece/nephew before we had ours. We don't see them as much now, and I feel bad about it.... but parenting is full time work! Luckily I had the Brussel sprout time with them yesterday. I dared them to try it and they did (brought them to tears though).

My MIL is the BEST, I have no reservations leaving my Daughter with her. My wife won't though, for sure. She's a terrific mother to my daughter and maybe in the future it will happen, but I'll give her the time she wants for now. As much as I would welcome more "no kids" time, the fact is I get plenty of it because my wife lets me do all the things I love to do (NFL games, Long mountain climbing trips, you name it). If she wants to bring our girl, than i'm in no place to refuse... this is family time and we will enjoy it, but we also need daddy/mommy time and that's where the nursery comes in.

Anyway, thanks for the bright post, your positivity is infectious!

People keep commenting that $2900 is a ridiculous price for a 5 night but really, it is average for this itinerary. Inside Ks start out over $1000. The rest, mid 700s to mid 900s. Along the way there are price drops, but you have to watch and grab them when they come up. So 2k for a double, $400 for the 3rd, and >$500 for taxes and fees and you are at $2900 for an inside cabin. Anyone who booked early and didn't check back is probably paying this price.

Prices have gone down a lot after final payment this year, more than I can remember, but for whatever reason, that 7/26 cruise is more expensive than the 7/12 one I am on. I purchased an M after final at 619pp. Add 182pp tax, cruise care, and I paid >$1700 for the cheapest after final room I could get. And that is for 2 people, not 3. I upgraded further so I'm spending even more.

Compared to whats out there, it is ridiculous, but it also was 500$ less on the last day of the july 4th sale, but I didn't look until that evening and didn't have the green light to pull the trigger. Still, I understood that and decided on it after weighing pros/cons. Problem here is, that the nursery is out of the equation....this cruise wouldn't have even been an option for us had I known that.

I was onboard with your original posts, I really was. And was hoping you got resolution. But the more you post the more I am starting to lose you. To clarify...

*You booked this particular ship because it had a dedicated nursery so you could leave your daughter there, with a stanger, and party.

*You now want to cancel this cruise if you have to hire a babysitter, who is a stranger just like the one working in the nursery, to come to your room. (Yes, I get the extra cost, but your main complaint was a stranger in your room.)

*You are ok with the parenting skills of leaving your child while you go get hammered, but not ok with the parenting skills of taking your child on a ship that had Noro months ago?

You mentioned $400 in babysitting charges at $19 an hour. That's 21 hours of leaving your child alone with a stranger, no matter the location. That's 4-5 hours a night. Not a reasonable expectation when traveling with a young child.

My suggestion...go on the cruise. Go to bed at 8:30 with your sweet child. Hire a babysitter ONE NIGHT and go live it up like the single adults you are not anymore and make the most of things. Vacationing with kids means you don't get to "live it up" like you used to. Time to realize that or leave her at home and relive your 20s with the spouse minus baby.

I hope you end up having a good cruise with your entire family. "Different" fun is still fun. Think of all the firsts you are going to get to experience through the eyes of that baby!

I also wanted to add to OP. why not go out at night with wife and also put baby in a stroller and bring with you? Will baby fall asleep if tired enough? I know you may be limited to some areas on the ship with brining a stroller, etc., but at least you wouldn't have to go to be early. There are plenty of areas on ship where you can enjoy (and grab a drink) with baby asleep in stroller. Been on many cruises and seen many people do just that. I've seen couples take a lovely stroll out on deck at at night under the stars spending quality time together..and pushing stroller. Night time sea air great for sleeping baby. Just a suggestion.

Compared to whats out there, it is ridiculous, but it also was 500$ less on the last day of the july 4th sale, but I didn't look until that evening and didn't have the green light to pull the trigger. Still, I understood that and decided on it after weighing pros/cons. Problem here is, that the nursery is out of the equation....this cruise wouldn't have even been an option for us had I known that.

So you know, you can put things on a 24 hour hold, even after final,if you book online. I don't think they require immediate full payment/no hold until the 3 days prior to sailing.

Thing is it wasn't until post #38 in this thread (like your 6th or 7th) that the nursery suddenly became your big problem. Up until that it was all the room is smaller, they told me I had a bigger room, the room was in a different place. Yes you made mention of a nursery at one point saying it was to be near your cabin, another time saying it was right next to your cabin, but that wasn't your real complaint until you started talking about possibly getting the recordings and until after another poster told you there was no nursery.

Your initial post, it's clear you are miffed you didn't get a large cabin you had hoped for - it wasn't about your child and its care and needs. It was about yor comfort having 3 people occupy an interior cabin.

Now suddenly you are concerned about your child care needs. That's why so many here are brining that to your attention. You're trying to cloud and bolster your argument with things that were not really a part of the initial issue trying to make that issue seem far larger than the reality of it

I think the OP has been completely clear, and completely open, and he has my sympathy.

Your rant makes absolutely no sense to me. In the beginning, he was only concerned about the size of the cabin he received, relative to the size of the cabin he had contracted for, because THAT was his issue. Until a poster told him, half way down the thread, that Explorer didn't have a nursery, he thought (with very good reason) that there WAS a nursery, so why would he be complaining about it? He didn't have an issue about the nursery until he found out from a helpful CC member that there WAS NO nursery. THAT's when it became an issue, and he explained very clearly why it mattered to him.

Sheesh.

To the OP, you have been very logical and forthcoming. I understand the points you have made, and have compassion for your situation. I would feel very much the way you do, if something like this were to happen to me.

I very much hope RCI does the right thing and refunds all of your money. Best of wishes to you and your family for a wonderful, relaxing family vacation, after all of your hard work.

So are you saying that customer service should have told you that due to your childs age you might not want to take this cruise because of Noro? At what age should they do that and discourage bookings? I entirely sympathize with your situation if all you've posted is accurate, but now it sounds like you're pushing the envelope.

If Noro is a concern, maybe you shouldn't cruise with an infant on any line at any time......:rolleyes:

I thought he was talking about the ship that leaves from balt md was the one with the noro, not the one he booked.

You were the one who booked the cruise, didn't you do your research if it is so important not to take an infant on a noro infested ship?!?! SHAME ON YOU........:rolleyes:

Wasn't he referring to the ship leaving from balt, md and not the one he booked that had the Noro. Am I missing something?

And why is everyone saying he's looking for excuses, the only reason he was upset was because of the cabin # mixup, he didn't know there wasn't a nursery on this ship until someone on here mentioned it to him.

It was my understanding that he did research the nursery issue before booking and that was one of the reasons he booked this ship.

When you call a company and they tell you what you're getting you believe them. As an example, how many of us book a hotel room for double occupancy. 2 beds for a sister and say a brother. Imagine if you arrived and there was a single bed? If you had been crystal clear you needed 2 beds you'd be upset. I think the OP paid a premium for an inside cabin and should get some OBC for what happened.

I'm curious, did they also tell you there was a nursery or did you assume there was one or see it on the deck plans?