Just Off Voyager Not Happy At All

What makes anyone think I should?

We are on a vacation. My husband and I have one idea of what vacation should be, our teenagers have another. They both involve going on cruises. We see each other often during the day and at dinner. But we are not going to watch what our sons do every minute of every day for the whole week. Why shouldn't they be allowed to have fun on the ship?

We read them the riot act, so they know they are expected to be polite and courteous. So far, we have not had a single complaint; in fact we have had many compliments from other passengers on their behavior when they are off on their own.

As for underage drinking, it is often hard to tell what age people are. Our 17 year old looks 22. He knows he is not allowed to drink. End of story.

The cruise line should be held accountable because they train the bartenders. If the bartender serves an underage kid without checking id's, it's his or her fault. Just like in this country.

BTW, we are a very close family. We have dinner together at home 29 out of every 31 days. It's not like we don't want to be together on vacation. We talk constantly. Our boys are excellent students. Our oldest is most likely valedictorian at his graduation come June; our youngest is in the top sixth percent of his class.

No, I don't think there's anything wrong with letting kids have their own free time on a ship.

What makes you think you shouldn't have to watch your kids every minute?

It is not ALL parents.

Don't put those of us who are raising responsible kids in the same category with the neglectful ones, please.

I was also on the 7/2 cruise to Canada and noticed much of the same. Our overall experience was horrible--aside from the change in ports.

As for underage drinking, I'm 27 and was "carded" about 5 times. My sister and I noticed a yound teen on the first day bragging that she had been drinking for hours and she was "wasted". About five minutes later, her mom came over and gave her another drink. It is the parents.

Lots of the problems arise when older teens buy drinks for underage kids. Like i previously posted, my 18 year old was approached more than one time to buy drinks for kids 15 and 16 years old. One kid looked older and she asked why he didn't use his own card. He told her he was 16. She said.. come back in 2 years. It doesn't matter how old or how young you look. If you have a seapass card that has one hole in it, you get served beer or wine only unless you look ridiculously young and then it should be questioned by the bartender.

Teens away from their parents are going to try and get alcohol and that is just how it is. They can be honor students, and be model sons or daughters. When put in a situation like a cruise ship, away from mom and dad for a few hours, with beer or hard alcohol flowing relatively freely, they are going to try and take advantage of it.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with this situation accordingly.

The cruise line should be held accountable because they train the bartenders. If the bartender serves an underage kid without checking id's, it's his or her fault. Just like in this country.

While I don't disagree with you on this point, let me add that the bartenders may be checking the ID of a different person than the person who will be consuming the alcohol. A 17 year old may ask their 18 year old friend to buy them a beer, or a 20 year old may ask their 21 year old friend to buy them liquor. Its not uncommon and cannot be prevented by the cruiseline, unless they were to station bouncers throughout the ship to check the ID of anyone consuming an alcoholic beverage that looked like they might not be legal. And then of course they could say their drink didn't have liquor in it, if the bouncer didn't witness the purchasing of the drink, and there would probably have to be BAC tests administered to make everything kosher. And then people would complain about being wrongly accused and having security bother them on their cruise. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying RCCL can't do a better job, but there is only so much they can do. And let me say this, as a 17 year old: It doesn't matter how much you think you know your kids or how much you trust them. When they are not with you, it is likely they do things that you do not allow. That may or may not include drinking. I'm not saying you have to watch your older teenagers like a hawk - its fine to give them freedom. But don't assume they are following your rules to the letter when you aren't supervising them. I'm pretty sure the parents of some drunken teens on the Voyager were assuming that, and they were wrong.

As a parent of a 21 yr old, ALL and I mean ALL children test the waters of behavior. It was like that when I was a teen and it is like that today. Short of chaining your child to some immovable object, no parent can be there 24/7/365.

The sign of good parental control is what happens when your child is alone.

And even then ALL children are going to make bad choices.

What they learn from those choices is the most important thing after the fact.

Lots of the problems arise when older teens buy drinks for underage kids. Like i previously posted, my 18 year old was approached more than one time to buy drinks for kids 15 and 16 years old. One kid looked older and she asked why he didn't use his own card. He told her he was 16. She said.. come back in 2 years. It doesn't matter how old or how young you look. If you have a seapass card that has one hole in it, you get served beer or wine only unless you look ridiculously young and then it should be questioned by the bartender.

Teens away from their parents are going to try and get alcohol and that is just how it is. They can be honor students, and be model sons or daughters. When put in a situation like a cruise ship, away from mom and dad for a few hours, with beer or hard alcohol flowing relatively freely, they are going to try and take advantage of it.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with this situation accordingly.

This is exactly what appears to have happend OFF THE SHIP in Aruba with an Honor student ( Maybe 4.0 in scholastics but a Zero when it came to street smarts). In theory all you have for ID is your seapass card. It would be nice if the ggave every kid the third degree - but some wise ass parent would no doubt complain in that case was well

Hi, I am a mom of a 20 yr old. I hope that I am not blasted for this but I am going to give him permission to purchase beer and wine. He is very responsible and he will be with his family. I have seen kids (very young 15 yrs 16 yrs) actually sitting by the pool drinking bahama mama's and their parents sitting there laughing. Last year I also let my son sign for beer and wine, our total bill for the cruise for booze was 50.00. I think that if you allow (meaning older kids 19, 20 yrs old) have a little freedom they show a little more respect and act mature (try to anyway). I was proud of my son, he acted 10 times better then some of the older people on the ship. He did not get drunk, but I think he really felt grown up and wanted to prove that he can be mature and have a beer at the same time.:o

I was really proud of him, just being with my brothers ages 35-42 he felt mature.

I am not worried at all about his drinking on the ship, I am a little worried about Carlos and Charlies in Aruba, He was talking about that place before Natalie went missing. He told me that he just wants to see the place, I told him that I would be right behind him, he didn't like that but that's my word and he knows that. I trust him, but you never know, on the ship with family is one thing, a forgien island is another, I will be close by.

Carlos n Charlies is a very fun place. It would be a little overwhealming for a person who has never experienced parties like you would see at a frat house. Moderation goes a long way to ensuring a fun safe time...as a young person, situations in places like that can get carried away because of the atmosphere you are in. By all means, don't leave late at night with 3 strangers!

I was really proud of him, just being with my brothers ages 35-42 he felt mature.

I am not worried at all about his drinking on the ship, I am a little worried about Carlos and Charlies in Aruba, He was talking about that place before Natalie went missing. He told me that he just wants to see the place, I told him that I would be right behind him, he didn't like that but that's my word and he knows that. I trust him, but you never know, on the ship with family is one thing, a forgien island is another, I will be close by.

You sound like a great mom. He should be proud of YOU. By the way we didn't let our 18 year DD get off the ship alone in any port either. We docked in Cozumel at night and we saw kids she hung out with walking alone off the ship, some younger than 18. I asked one girl if her parents knew she was off the ship. Her reply.. "they don't care".

Herman I already posted that an irate parent gave security in the VC lounge holy hell for not allowing her 17 yr old daughter admittance after midnight when it was 18+ at that time. She said she paid for her daughter to cruise and she should be allowed to go where she wanted. What message is that giving her child?

This is exactly what appears to have happend OFF THE SHIP in Aruba with an Honor student ( Maybe 4.0 in scholastics but a Zero when it came to street smarts). In theory all you have for ID is your seapass card. It would be nice if the ggave every kid the third degree - but some wise ass parent would no doubt complain in that case was well

In Aruba the legal drinking age is 18 and Natalee Holloway was 18. There are some reports that she was also using drugs, but as far as the alcohol goes, it was perfectly legal. People of all ages can get drunk and subsequently make irresponsible choices. A legal drinking age doesn't insure responsibilty by any means.

mic328's son can obviously drink responsibly. Some people choose not to. Again, a lot of it doesn't have to do with age but with maturity level.

Bonnie, my parents have already told me that I will not get off the ship without them and they will not get off without me. Further, my friend and I will always be near one of my parents in port. This might cause some problems in relation to different activities but, objectively, I think it is a wise desicion on their part. They aren't being overprotective and it isn't because they don't trust me. Its about safety. Besides, if I really wanted to do something I'm not allowed to, I'm sure that I could find plenty opportunities onboard. :cool:

In Aruba the legal drinking age is 18 and Natalee Holloway was 18. There are some reports that she was also using drugs, but as far as the alcohol goes, it was perfectly legal. People of all ages can get drunk and subsequently make irresponsible choices. A legal drinking age doesn't insure responsibilty by any means.

mic328's son can obviously drink responsibly. Some people choose not to. Again, a lot of it doesn't have to do with age but with maturity level.

Bonnie, my parents have already told me that I will not get off the ship without them and they will not get off without me. Further, my friend and I will always be near one of my parents in port. This might cause some problems in relation to different activities but, objectively, I think it is a wise desicion on their part. They aren't being overprotective and it isn't because they don't trust me. Its about safety. Besides, if I really wanted to do something I'm not allowed to, I'm sure that I could find plenty opportunities onboard. :cool:

You sound like a delightful, responsible teen. Good to know you understand your parents concern and aren't giving them any grief. :)

Yes, age of majority for alcohol in Aruba is 18. Sooooo then why does everyone get so bent out of shape if an 18,19,20 yr old drinks on the ship???

Growing up - (and I will be 62 this September) - Drinking age in NY was 18 for anything. Day of my 18th BD I flew off to school in Ohio and unbeknownst to me - NY drinking laws did not apply. For openers - you could only drink 3.2 beer on Sunday and if you were under 21 only 3.2 beer period.- BUMMER

The problem is NOT whether you are 18 or 2 days before your 21st birthday or 65 - some people cannot handle alcohol PERIOD. For a parent to allow an underage kid to drink unsupervised is unconscionable or to provide it say at a pre/post prom party is illegal.

What happens IMHO is that when a bunch of kids ( yes adults too) get together, drink too much, and subject themselves to peer pressure or

lower their inhibitions because of alcohol or drugs, see the TV shows like ***** - they do stupid things.

IN New York the other day - a kid who was under 18 and admitted to getting beer at Yankee Stadium jumped 40' into a net behind home plate. Fortunately he was not hurt but he was arrested. Kid lives in a million dollar home in Armonk, His friends comments was - aw he was just a kid and didnt hurt anyone don't arrest him. Great message don't ya think

Let's not forget - we live in an age where one high form of entertainment is watching a 16-year old whine and complain about getting everything she wants for her birthday party on MTV. :rolleyes: That is an entire series on how to be a bad parent.

Good parents, on the otherhand, instill a form of discipline and honor into their child (sometimes by beating them severely, back in the good ole days) and monitor their progress. It is the parents that should know best the limitations of their children, and whether or not they should drink. Now, if somebody over 21+ is being an @$$, well, that is just society crumbling around you, so plug your ears and close your eyes.

Yes, age of majority for alcohol in Aruba is 18. Sooooo then why does everyone get so bent out of shape if an 18,19,20 yr old drinks on the ship???

Growing up - (and I will be 62 this September) - Drinking age in NY was 18 for anything. Day of my 18th BD I flew off to school in Ohio and unbeknownst to me - NY drinking laws did not apply. For openers - you could only drink 3.2 beer on Sunday and if you were under 21 only 3.2 beer period.- BUMMER

The problem is NOT whether you are 18 or 2 days before your 21st birthday or 65 - some people cannot handle alcohol PERIOD. For a parent to allow an underage kid to drink unsupervised is unconscionable or to provide it say at a pre/post prom party is illegal.

What happens IMHO is that when a bunch of kids ( yes adults too) get together, drink too much, and subject themselves to peer pressure or

lower their inhibitions because of alcohol or drugs, see the TV shows like ***** - they do stupid things.

IN New York the other day - a kid who was under 18 and admitted to getting beer at Yankee Stadium jumped 40' into a net behind home plate. Fortunately he was not hurt but he was arrested. Kid lives in a million dollar home in Armonk, His friends comments was - aw he was just a kid and didnt hurt anyone don't arrest him. Great message don't ya think

I saw that on TV the other day, what a fool. Let's hope he is not able to produce offspring. :D

jc

another great reminder of why I don't sail when families are present in large quantities. Ah, school, it protects us from the worse elements of society, children. Thank the lord for school!:D :p

jc

My sentiments exactly! Ohhhh the beauty of the off-season! :D

I'm confused on how you are on a ship soooo big and have a few or even quite a few older misbehaved in this case they would of been called rugrats ruin your entire vacation. It seems to me they don't want anywhere near us adults just as much as we don't want anywhere near their acts of misbehavior. So I can't understand how you let them ruin your week. I've seen alot of adults misbehave worse than you are describing the teens and those adults are permitted to drink. So if they were 21 or even if they were really 18 and just looked young - if you knew their exact age and found out they were legal - would your complaint change?

Just curious...are you sure the teens were not drinking virgin drinks? On cruises, our sons drink lots of pina coladas, Bahama mama's, etc, but none with a drop of booze.;)

Hi, I am a mom of a 20 yr old. I hope that I am not blasted for this but I am going to give him permission to purchase beer and wine. He is very responsible and he will be with his family. I have seen kids (very young 15 yrs 16 yrs) actually sitting by the pool drinking bahama mama's and their parents sitting there laughing. Last year I also let my son sign for beer and wine, our total bill for the cruise for booze was 50.00. I think that if you allow (meaning older kids 19, 20 yrs old) have a little freedom they show a little more respect and act mature (try to anyway). I was proud of my son, he acted 10 times better then some of the older people on the ship. He did not get drunk, but I think he really felt grown up and wanted to prove that he can be mature and have a beer at the same time.:o

I saw that on TV the other day, what a fool. Let's hope he is not able to produce offspring. :D

jc

Depending on where and how he landed the point may be moot - one must check to see if he is a soprano these days.

Archived