A Question re My Morning Coffee!

MsFancyFree

Hi everyone,

I'm one of those people who needs several cups of coffee before I can start my day. If I order the "continental breakfast" on the volendam by hanging the order form on the door, do I need to specify that I need enough for 2 or 3 refills? Or if I say coffee for one person, do I get exactly one cup?

Also, how does it work? Does someone knock? Or do I open the door and find a tray outside?

And is a dollar enough of a tip for coffee?

Thanks for any replies . . .i'm obviously a first-time cruiser!

I'm booked on the Valendam to Alaska later this month.

Hi everyone,

I'm one of those people who needs several cups of coffee before I can start my day. If I order the "continental breakfast" on the volendam by hanging the order form on the door, do I need to specify that I need enough for 2 or 3 refills? Or if I say coffee for one person, do I get exactly one cup?

Also, how does it work? Does someone knock? Or do I open the door and find a tray outside?

I would order coffee for 2 to be safe - they will bring you a pot. They will knock. $1 or $2 is enough for just coffee IMO. If you are tipping, have the money ready as they "disappear" quickly before you have time to find your money.

DaveOKC

Order for 4 coffees the first time and see how that does you :D They'll bring it in a large insulated pot. Be sure to order as many creams and sugars you'll need as well.

I usually tip $2 for just coffee and juice - $3 if I order breakfast. I get a slew of $1's for all sorts of tips at the bank before our cruises.

They'll call and say they're on the way and knock when they get there. I use it as a wake-up call :D

One of my greatest joys on a cruise is sipping on my coffee while leisurely getting ready for the day.:):)

Order for 4 coffees the first time and see how that does you :D They'll bring it in a large insulated pot. Be sure to order as many creams and sugars you'll need as well.

I usually tip $2 for just coffee and juice - $3 if I order breakfast. I get a slew of $1's for all sorts of tips at the bank before our cruises.

They'll call and say they're on the way and knock when they get there. I use it as a wake-up call :D

One of my greatest joys on a cruise is sipping on my coffee while leisurely getting ready for the day.:):)

Funny - I have never had them call me to say they were on their way. Must vary by ship.

Hi everyone,

They will knock and will also bring it in. On HAL you are already paying the service charge at the rate of $11 per day per person. Additional tipping is not compulsory.

I too would mark coffee for 2. A $1 or $2 is fine for a tip. You will select a time you would like your order delivered and they will show up within that range. It's the best to wake up to knock, knock, room service.....

Enjoy your first cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'm with summersigh, I would order 4 cups and see if that works out. You implied you need 2 to 3 refills.

Please enjoy your first cruise on the Volendam, and don't hesitate asking any more question you might have. You'll find this group of cruisers to be very helpful.

Before I retire for the night I place my two dollar tip in the little room service card slot on the inside of the door. Then I know right where to find it as I answer the door.

I put mine there too. It's a great place.

Me too! Enjoy your first cruise. I envy your anticipation. That was so long ago for me.

First cruise? I've been on 30 plus cruises. Did you forget me already:D? I assume you mean the OP;).

Edited by cruz chic

Our past experience has been that you can also get things that are not on the room service bfast menu if you write them in on the door hanger tag that you put out the nite before. Trying to remember what those things were... oatmeal may have been one and maybe egg beaters, maybe grapefruit halves?

The full in room bfast is one of our fav parts of traveling HAL, made even better by having a balcony to eat it on.

I write 'LARGE pot' of coffee, and with only one exception, if I recall correctly, we have received either a large carafe or 2 of the smaller carafes.

I also tip $1 or $2. Breakfast on our balcony has been a happy memory of many cruises.

Is the cream that comes with room service a "creamer" or real half & half or milk? Sometimes I have to order a milk because I don't use creamers.

It comes in a little pitcher. If you order 2% they often send a little carton.

Good question Mort&Fran... I'm the same way and will be aboard eurodam this November. Got a Verandah so plan to enjoy some leisurely mornings out there and nothing better than relaxing with a few cups of coffee. all the advice everyone gave here is great and very helpful from all you veteran cruisers... thank you!

Maryjo

Good question Mort&Fran... I'm the same way and will be aboard eurodam this November. Got a Verandah so plan to enjoy some leisurely mornings out there and nothing better than relaxing with a few cups of coffee. all the advice everyone gave here is great and very helpful from all you veteran cruisers... thank you!

Maryjo

I suggest that you bring a small table cloth with you to enhance your breakfast. HAL's room service tray is no nice with all the china and cutlery, but the one thing that is missing is the table cloth.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm jumping in on yours as I am planning on having morning coffee on my deck as well.

I was reading some reviews and came across this comment:

"I started ordering coffee via room service. Maybe I should have asked but since I did not, I will share this with you. Room service sounds good but it does not matter what you get, the price is $11.50 when you get the bill."

Is this correct? I thought that room service was complimentary if you were ordering items commonly available in the MDR. I just want to be clear because $11.50 for 11 days could be a pretty big surprise at the end.