Treadmill for 14 year old?

I believe the official word is that one must be 18 to use the gym, including the treadmill. But a friend just sailed with her 13 year old and said he could use the treadmill as long as his dad went with him. Anyone have experience with this?

My daughter is a runner and typically runs five days a week. That would make for lots and lots of laps around the jogging track, especially for her 6+ mile runs! She'll be 14 on our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Directly from the guest conduct policy:

*** Guests ages 13 to 15 may be permitted to utilize the FitnessCenter during certain times of the

day; provided the young guest is accompanied and supervised at all times by their parent or

guardian and provided a waiver of liability has been signed by the parent or guardian who is

present in the fitness center. See the Cruise Compass or contact Guest Services for the specific

FitnessCenter age restrictions on your cruise vacation.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

I believe the official word is that one must be 18 to use the gym, including the treadmill. But a friend just sailed with her 13 year old and said he could use the treadmill as long as his dad went with him. Anyone have experience with this?

My daughter is a runner and typically runs five days a week. That would make for lots and lots of laps around the jogging track, especially for her 6+ mile runs! She'll be 14 on our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think limit was 16 years? Anyway, my daughter was a month away from being 16, and her friend was just 16, both were allowed to use gym at Freedom with my husband guarding them. We had to sign off a waiver or something for them, other than that the staff had no objection.

It might depend on the staff working there. No harm asking at least.

From the Guest Conduct Policy:

*** Guests ages 13 to 15 may be permitted to utilize the FitnessCenter during certain times of the

day; provided the young guest is accompanied and supervised at all times by their parent or

guardian and provided a waiver of liability has been signed by the parent or guardian who is

present in the fitness center. See the Cruise Compass or contact Guest Services for the specific

If she runs six miles a day, and she needs supervision in the gym, why would it be an issue to run on the jogging track? Give a much better workout, in the outside environment, plus the nice view etc.

Answer you question, if your are present to supervise, and sign your life away with waivers, than yes.

From the guest conduct policy:

Fitness Center: Age 16 and over. See below for exceptions for ages 13 to 15.

*** Guests ages 13 to 15 may be permitted to utilize the Fitness Center during certain times of the day; provided the young guest is accompanied and supervised at all times by their parent or guardian and provided a waiver of liability has been signed by the parent or guardian who is present in the fitness center. See the Cruise Compass or contact Guest Services for the specific Fitness Center age restrictions on your cruise vacation.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

Thanks, all! I appreciate that!

To do 6 miles on the jogging track would make for about 30 laps or so, I believe. Since it's also a walking and lounging track, that could get tedious. I know she could get up at 6am and have less traffic. But she'll be 14 and on vacation, so that's unlikely! I'm sure she'll do some runs on the track, but it's nice to have the treadmill as an option. I SHOULD go and run next to her in the fitness center. But I'll probably just take a book! :)

To do 6 miles on the jogging track would make for about 30 laps or so, I believe. Since it's also a walking and lounging track, that could get tedious. I know she could get up at 6am and have less traffic. But she'll be 14 and on vacation, so that's unlikely! I'm sure she'll do some runs on the track, but it's nice to have the treadmill as an option. I SHOULD go and run next to her in the fitness center. But I'll probably just take a book! :)

Kudos to your daughter for running :).

The gym treadmills are *very* nice. They have TVs attached, so I watched the morning show and various cartoon movies each morning when I ran, plus you see the gorgeous view from the windows in front of you.

I also run 5-6 miles a day typically and really enjoyed my treadmill miles on the gym. It was hard to run on the track because it's 2 lanes and people constantly walked the whole width of it or had their chairs out in the lanes, plus the wind out there was crazy. I'm glad your daughter can use the gym.

I just wish somebody would be able to find the relevant section of the guest conduct policy already.

Ask and ye shall receive:

;)

I just wish somebody would be able to find the relevant section of the guest conduct policy already.

haha! At the time I posted, there were no responses. I thought mine would have been first, but then these interlopers showed up. :)

When I logged in again just now, it showed I had last logged in yesterday, not this morning, so I think there was a server issue that caused a delay in postings, hence all the repetitive responses.

Better too much help than too little!

haha! At the time I posted, there were no responses. I thought mine would have been first, but then these interlopers showed up. :)

When I logged in again just now, it showed I had last logged in yesterday, not this morning, so I think there was a server issue that caused a delay in postings, hence all the repetitive responses.

Better too much help than too little!

I had that happen to me a while back. I was answering posts before they were posted.:p

. . . why would it be an issue to run on the jogging track? Give a much better workout, in the outside environment, plus the nice view etc. . .
Maybe she like the ability to precisely and constantly control her pace. Maybe she wants to avoid the deck chair hurdles. Maybe its just her personal preference.

By the way, many of the facilities [including the ones on the Freedoms, Freedom being next up on OP's cruise list] have pretty good views from the treadmills. And you'd have to show me some evidence for me to buy the "much better" workout bit.

Edited by mjldvlks

Maybe she like the ability to precisely and constantly control her pace. Maybe she wants to avoid the deck chair hurdles. Maybe its just her personal preference.

By the way, many of the facilities [including the ones on the Freedoms, Freedom being next up on OP's cruise list] have pretty good views from the treadmills. And you'd have to show me some evidence for me to buy the "much better" workout bit.

If running is that important, one can deal with the issues of doing the track. My wife did 10 miles on the Liberty once. 50 laps. Took a picture just to commemorate it. But she dealt with the people.

I would much rather run on the track than the treadmill- I hate treadmills. The same time DW did 10, I did 6.

IMHO, the view from outside on deck 11 is better than in the spa.

If running isn't that important, then a treadmill or not also isn't a big deal.

Anyway, I have seen teenagers use the equipment by themselves. I think the big deal is that they are playing and not working out. If your daughter just gets on the machine, and starts running, I would be shocked if someone asked her to leave. But it will not hurt if you go with her to start.

And a treadmill is not tedious? :p

I have a knee replacement so I can't run but I do walk and I am at 5 miles a day. So for my upcoming Rhapsody cruise it will be 21 1/2 laps which I will find much more enjoyable than a treadmill but that's just me. :)

I use to run. Most people, including the ones I know, that run are running for cross country. Being outside, in the environment, dodging chairs, people walking, "the wind" etc is part of training. Running in a controlled environment, on a treadmill, while watching TV is not the same....My guess she trains for cross country running and the jogging tracks give a great option on the ship. Running in place for 1 or more hours in one spot, while a parent has to watch, just does not seem right. I am an old school runner, where the wind in my face (not the air conditioner) is part of the task!

I use to run. Most people, including the ones I know, that run are running for cross country. Being outside, in the environment, dodging chairs, people walking, "the wind" etc is part of training. Running in a controlled environment, on a treadmill, while watching TV is not the same....My guess she trains for cross country running and the jogging tracks give a great option on the ship. Running in place for 1 or more hours in one spot, while a parent has to watch, just does not seem right. I am an old school runner, where the wind in my face (not the air conditioner) is part of the task!

LOL -- why is it so important to you that everyone [including OP's daughter] agree with you?

Completely agree with you here. In the day especially, there are flip flop ice cream laden sweaty bodies everywhere. They put their loungers on the edge of the track and there are people walkimg and wandering all over the place. It's like running in the middle of a motorway.

Running around a cruise ship packed with sunbathers in the middle of the day is not the same as cross country training. Glasses, melted ice cream, sun cream, hot and bothered people arriving burgers etc is not the same as cross country. And there's usually no wind through you hair at all during the daytime as its hot and the ship is in port.

Running around a cruise ship packed with sunbathers in the middle of the day is not the same as cross country training. Glasses, melted ice cream, sun cream, hot and bothered people arriving burgers etc is not the same as cross country.

It is great Parkour training, though.