New job vacation, need advice VERY bad?

We just had this happen to us. We have a Bermuda cruise booked in September and my husband just started a new job with no vacation until next year. He did not mention the cruise during the interview but when he went back and they made their offer he told them about the cruise. They were very nice and are allowing him to take the week with no pay.

Oops! Posted at the end without reading all the way through. I'm sorry you did not get the job.

Edited by EMED2010
Added on

Is it possible that due to your experience, you would be at a higher pay grade than those that they hired with no experience? Perhaps there were budget constraints for the department?

No, pay was set by the CBA [collective bargaining agreement]. It was slightly higher than I'm making now, but it was a set hourly rate with increases of course as time goes by.

No, pay was set by the CBA [collective bargaining agreement]. It was slightly higher than I'm making now, but it was a set hourly rate with increases of course as time goes by.

Don't even try to make sense out of it. I've worked for the state since 1989 and I've been on both sides. You have no idea what transpired. They may have received a phone call telling the managers that they will fill the position with "x" no matter what they wanted to do.

You are certainly entitled to set up a meeting to discuss your interview with them to find out where your experience might have felt short, or what you can do to improve this or that, etc. You must be in a position to receive and not defend though.

Also, while it shouldn't matter, is it possible that they had a better interview? Some folks that have all the experience and would appear to be shoe ins just don't interview quite as good as someone less qualified on paper. I know someone that didn't get a position they used to do because they had an awful interview....odd.

There is something waiting for you around the corner....you just haven't been shown that yet.

Good luck.....good things are waiting for you.

Dawn

Sorry this happened. I was told one time that they don't always like to hire people with experience, because they like to train them to their way of thinking and not the way you are used to doing things from a previous job. I have had the same thing happen to me. Doesn't make sense, but maybe better things are in store for you. Good luck.

Gwen :)

Yeah I hear you guys loud and clear. I wish I would have answered one question better but overall that question should not have knocked me out. Having the experience in the job that I was going for, plus my cousin already works there and told the "road foreman" about me should have been enough. My cousin is really pissed about the situation. When he goes back to work in a few weeks [out hurt with his knee] I would not doubt he says something to them and asks why. I think I may get answers then.

Yeah I hear you guys loud and clear. I wish I would have answered one question better but overall that question should not have knocked me out. Having the experience in the job that I was going for, plus my cousin already works there and told the "road foreman" about me should have been enough. My cousin is really pissed about the situation. When he goes back to work in a few weeks [out hurt with his knee] I would not doubt he says something to them and asks why. I think I may get answers then.

I have no idea how it works in the US and in your line of work, but I can tell you where I work the highlighted part would have kicked you out immediately. This would raise several red flags. First we are not keen on having Family working together and secondly we don´t like recommendations like that. Job applications that are tied to a recommendations will get a guaranteed interview and a guaranteed no.

Next red flag with us would be your Cousin being out sick. This would be another red flag to not hire another Family member.

I know you had put a lot of hope into this and I´m wishing you all the best. As others have said at least you don´t have to question yourself about mentioning the cruise.

I say God always has a plan for us and it may not be the answer you or "we" want. It will all work out, my husband works for a college university, and I have seen so much (unfair, people not doing their job, someone getting tenured and they know nothing, someone just trying to push them through - whether they can teach or not, etc, the list goes on and on....) try and not worry about it. My husband also when younger applied for professional school and didn't get in his first try (he couldn't figure out WHY), but knowing what we know now, I started working there years later at the university and he would have missed meeting me if he got in the year HE wanted - make sense - here on CC we will also encourage!

Here and in this type of job a family member recommendation is supposed to go very far. Also my cousin is not out sick, he hurt himself on the job. Its a physical labor job, he hurt his knee, it happens.

I also wanted to say I emailed the head of the department I would be working for like 3 times since the interview and have not received one back. Do you think that is a bit odd, to avoid an applicant completely? Do you think maybe he feels bad they didn't hire me but can't just come out and say that? All emails were very respectful and asked legit, nice worded questions. What do you think is going on?

Here and in this type of job a family member recommendation is supposed to go very far. Also my cousin is not out sick, he hurt himself on the job. Its a physical labor job, he hurt his knee, it happens.

I also wanted to say I emailed the head of the department I would be working for like 3 times since the interview and have not received one back. Do you think that is a bit odd, to avoid an applicant completely? Do you think maybe he feels bad they didn't hire me but can't just come out and say that? All emails were very respectful and asked legit, nice worded questions. What do you think is going on?

OK,

as I said things might work differently in your part of the world and your line of Job. Wouldn´t matter over here either that it was a work related injury that made him miss work.

In the same line, I don´t think it´s odd you didn´t receive an answer. We would not communicate with you any further than telling you, you didn´t get the Job. We certainly would not answer any emails.

They never even contacted me to say I didn't get the job. I had to find out from my cousin, and my friend that works there to say "yeah they hired 4 guys". Don't you think that's odd?

That´s a different Situation alltogether, but again your System seems to work way diferently than ours.

If you don´t get a no from us, we might or might not have hired someone else for the Job, but nothing is set in Stone until you get a definite no.

Often times we will hire someone, but then the applicant all of a sudden denies the offer, or we anticipate other Jobs to open up, so even though you are not hired immediately we will not send you a note saying you didn´t get the Job.

Again we would not answer any of your emails.

I am sorry you did not get the position you were hoping for. Changing jobs is a very trying and stressful time. I know the company I work for will not let relativies work in the same department. Two other items that will you from even getting an interview with this company is sending your resume with not cover letter. Applicants sometimes do not even get a second look if they do not send a thank you note to the persons interviewing. There may be another job is meets your needs better in the future. Go and enjoy your cruise.

I am sorry you did not get the position you were hoping for. Changing jobs is a very trying and stressful time. I know the company I work for will not let relativies work in the same department. Two other items that will you from even getting an interview with this company is sending your resume with not cover letter. Applicants sometimes do not even get a second look if they do not send a thank you note to the persons interviewing. There may be another job is meets your needs better in the future. Go and enjoy your cruise.

I have been on the hiring side of things in various businesses over the years, and I find it difficult to believe the 'double standards' I hear about.

An applicant may not get a second look, if they don't send a 'thank you note to the interviewer' to be balanced against 'a company would not have the decency to let an applicant know they did not get the job'.

I realize these are not in the same situation.....or gee, maybe they could be. From my POV, neither is correct.