Mendenhall trail question

Bindery

My wife and I will be in Juneau Sept 6 arriving at 7am on the Carnival Miracle and leaving at 4pm. I believe it is the only cruise ship in port that day. I am renting a car from Avis (opens at 8am) so we can drive to Mendenhall Glacier and get back for our Wings Taku Lodge Feast and 5 Glacier Seaplane Tour at 10:45am. I believe this will leave about 1 ½ hours at Mendenhall. I would like to do the trail to Nugget Falls.

Is this feasible for the time we have? Is there a better trail choice with the time allowed?

The Wings tour should end about 2pm. We will then use the car to go to Alaskan Brewing Company and the Red Dog Saloon, time permitting.

I do appreciate any comments and suggestions.

We spent 1.5 hours at Mendenhall, including the falls trail. I see that you have factored in some time to get there. Don't forget that you may not be first in line at Avis and it may take 15 minutes or more just to get all the paperwork done.

We just got back from our July 4th sailing. We went to the Mendenhall Glacier and it only took us about half an hour to walk out there. I am a VERY slow walker too. The sign says it's a two mile round trip, but we clocked it to be a little more. The trail is clear and easy to walk on. I have to say it is SO worth it!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm a little confused.

Can you walk from where the Ship docks to Mendelhall Glacier?

No, you cannot. It's several miles away.

My wife and I will be in Juneau Sept 6 arriving at 7am on the Carnival Miracle and leaving at 4pm. I believe it is the only cruise ship in port that day. I am renting a car from Avis (opens at 8am) so we can drive to Mendenhall Glacier and get back for our Wings Taku Lodge Feast and 5 Glacier Seaplane Tour at 10:45am. I believe this will leave about 1 ½ hours at Mendenhall. I would like to do the trail to Nugget Falls.

Is this feasible for the time we have? Is there a better trail choice with the time allowed?

The Wings tour should end about 2pm. We will then use the car to go to Alaskan Brewing Company and the Red Dog Saloon, time permitting.

Yeah, I think you can do it. The round trip walk, along with spending time at the falls took me about an hour. The trail is .8 miles one way, so 1.6 miles round trip. They advertise it as 45 minutes round trip.

And yes, the brewery is a good idea to end your day. Even if you don't make one of the tour/presentations, you can still partake in your 6 free samples. Enjoy! :)

Edited by Aquahound

I'm a little confused.

Can you walk from where the Ship docks to Mendelhall Glacier?

No, Mendenhall is about 15 miles away.

I think Jo48 meant that it took 1/2 hr to walk to Nuggett Falls from the Visitor Center Parking Lot at Mendenhall .

Not sure, what "get back" means, but I would just drive direct to Wings Airways. Turn in the car, after the Brewery, you do not need it, and will have trouble parking at the Red Dog. An alternative, that is on the National Historic Registry, is the Alaskan Hotel (bar). There is nothing but fellow tourists in the Red Dog. :)

Get back is get back to cruise ship.

So here is the plan.

Get car from Avis-go to Mendenhall and walk the Nugget Falls trail.

Get to Wings Tour.

Fill up gas tank and drop off car.

Walk to the Alaskan Hotel Bar have a beer

Walk to the Red Dog Saloon have a beer.

Walk back to cruise ship.

Get back is get back to cruise ship.

So here is the plan.

Get car from Avis-go to Mendenhall and walk the Nugget Falls trail.

Get to Wings Tour.

Fill up gas tank and drop off car.

Walk to the Alaskan Hotel Bar have a beer

Walk to the Red Dog Saloon have a beer.

Walk back to cruise ship.

I think this is the questionable part. Where are you meeting the tour? Are you going all the way back to the ship and needing to park there? If so, you may be wasting valuable time. With time needed to pick up the car and drive to the glacier and back, I think you may only end up with one hour to walk Nugget Falls, etc. I wonder if you might be better off getting a taxi out to Mendenhall and back? You could catch a cab right off the ship shortly after 7 AM and have a couple of hours out there, rather than waiting in line at Avis at 8.

Will cabs be available at the cruise dock at 7am?

Would one be easy to get around 10am from Mendenhall?

From what I have read cab fare would be about $45 each way, so might cost more then car rental. But it might be better to get maximum time at Mendenhall.

This is why I post on Cruise Critic-to get ideas.

Will cabs be available at the cruise dock at 7am?

Would one be easy to get around 10am from Mendenhall?

From what I have read cab fare would be about $45 each way, so might cost more then car rental. But it might be better to get maximum time at Mendenhall.

This is why I post on Cruise Critic-to get ideas.

It depends on where your ships docks, or even if it tenders. Don't count on cabs being so accessible. You may have to either go look for one or call for a pick-up.

At Mendenhall, there are usually a couple cabs parked in the lot closest to the visitor center.

Did almost same thing end of May. We did blue bus to Mendenhall, walked to nugget falls and back. Then back on Blue bus -dropped us off at Red Dog for a quick drink. Then the Taku Lodge Flightseeing is across the street from Red dog.. You do not need the rental car. Great trip. Saw lots of Bears.

Blue bus cost $20 for two each way.

Have a great time.

I think this is the questionable part. Where are you meeting the tour? Are you going all the way back to the ship and needing to park there? If so, you may be wasting valuable time. With time needed to pick up the car and drive to the glacier and back, I think you may only end up with one hour to walk Nugget Falls, etc. I wonder if you might be better off getting a taxi out to Mendenhall and back? You could catch a cab right off the ship shortly after 7 AM and have a couple of hours out there, rather than waiting in line at Avis at 8.

I think BQ is suggesting that they go directly to the floatplane dock rather than meet the group somewhere else for a van ride to the dock.

But I think your point is a good one .... why wait for the Avis office to open at 8am when you can be in a cab earlier. If if you're first in line at Avis, by the time you do paperwork, inspect the car, etc it will be 8:30 before you're on the road.

$45 seems high for cab fare. Call one of the companies for an estimate. And have a return cab reserved for 10am. You might find someone on your roll call who is going to Taku with you and would be willing to share the cab.

I wont take the blue bus, it doesn't start until 9am and I don't want to take a chance on using it to get back to the tour.

I need to find out if cabs would be there a little after 7am. I have seen other posts where you can arrange a time or call a cab. It seems it would be about the same money as renting a car, then we don't have to park. Would like to get out to Mendenhall as quick as possible since we need to leave around 10am.

Then after the tour we can walk around and walk back to the cruise dock.

I wont take the blue bus, it doesn't start until 9am and I don't want to take a chance on using it to get back to the tour.

I need to find out if cabs would be there a little after 7am. I have seen other posts where you can arrange a time or call a cab. It seems it would be about the same money as renting a car, then we don't have to park. Would like to get out to Mendenhall as quick as possible since we need to leave around 10am.

Then after the tour we can walk around and walk back to the cruise dock.

Well, call NOW and reserve a cab!! Then you don't have to worry about whether or not cabs will be at the pier at 7am nor will you have to worry about calling a cab at 10am for the return trip.

Edited by mapleleaves
now

I'm getting exhausted just reading this. :D Is there anyway you can change your Wings tour to a bit later? The timing is really cutting your day up. The whole through of trying to get the car/cab, rushing along the trail, worrying, worrying...

There's really no reason to take the brewery tour, which BTW, is half way back to the glacier from downtown, so more backtracking. You can buy a Alaska Brewing company beer anywhere, including the Red Dog (shudder) and they have a very nice downtown store if you want their swag.

But if I were to say prioritize and have backup plans. It could be pouring rain (which it has been) and the planes could be grounded. The glacier could flood (it just did). We could run out of beer...Oh wait, that never happens.

There's also more to do at the glacier other than the trail. At that time of year, you have a chance for black bear viewing. But if you're spending the entire visit checking the time on your phone...

Cant change the Wings tour, it was scheduled for later but since only 1 ship in port they changed the time. With the limited time in port sometimes you have to make plans to time the things you want to do.

I will not do a brewery tour, just plan and visiting the bars after the tour.

There is NO brewery tour. Tastings only. There is NO cab line at Mendenhall, you need to call for one, at least 30 minutes prior to needing it. Any cab fare you get, plan on it being more. The fares given by the cab companies is going to be the lowest possible. Actual will likely be more, plus the tip.

Yes my point was to drive yourself direct to the float plane.

Nugget Falls trail, is well marked, first split from the Photo Point trail. BUT, this isn't the place to be rush, of put yourself into having a tight timeframe. All it will take is a slip etc etc or some other issue to slow you down. There also is a lot of slow moving construction going on around Auke bay. Add to the mix, not knowing the area or where you are going, then missing a couple turns, etc.

Ref Alaskan Breweries, yes there IS somewhat of a tour. It is NOT tastings only. They take groups into a side room with glass walls looking into the actual brewery. The beer making process is explained, along with the history of the brewery. In there, you are given 4 free samples. That is their tour, and that is what you get when you ride the shuttle from the storefront that's downtown.

You do not have to partake in the tour though. There is also a bar just inside the main entrance where you are allowed 6 free samples. Even after the tour, you can still get 2 more samples at this bar.

Would there be a taxi line at the Cruise Dock at around 7am or would we have to arrange a taxi in advance?

Yes, taxis do keep circling the cruise docks, BUT if you don't want to wait, then just call for one right from the ship, a half hour prior to wanting to leave.

Just got back yesterday. Nugget falls trail is closed. Totally flooded. The water might be receded by September but might not. It was a big bummer :(

Oh no! Thanks for giving us the heads up! I do hope it opens back up :o

Just got back yesterday. Nugget falls trail is closed. Totally flooded. The water might be receded by September but might not. It was a big bummer :(

It's already reopened. Just the last bit is still closed.

But everyone should have a backup plan for all Alaska excursions. We are not Disneyland. Constant, amazing natural phenomenon occur which will cause your excursions to be lost. In this case, the annual jokulhlaup. There's no way to predict when it happens every year and the severity, but in this case, we had about a week's warning before it hit, so if tourists check with the glacier's website before they leave on trips, they'll be able to see if one's predicted during their visit and adapt their plans accordingly.