Pride/Baltimore in January?

kelkel2

I know it sounds nuts, it's on the East coast, it's winter, it's bound to be cold. But Carnival is offering the cruise and someone must be booking it..Has anyone on here done this itinerary in the winter? How many days on the cruise are you in cold weather? I'm not worried about the Nassau/Freeport ports because we are just interested in doing something different at a good price and the airfare there is cheap too...Plus we really love cruising in the winter. But I really need to know if this is a bad idea given the home port.

I know it sounds nuts, it's on the East coast, it's winter, it's bound to be cold. But Carnival is offering the cruise and someone must be booking it..Has anyone on here done this itinerary in the winter? How many days on the cruise are you in cold weather? I'm not worried about the Nassau/Freeport ports because we are just interested in doing something different at a good price and the airfare there is cheap too...Plus we really love cruising in the winter. But I really need to know if this is a bad idea given the home port.

It's a crapshoot. You might only be cold for the first and last day, or....it might me two days on each end. Another consideration is that the Atlantic tends to be less docile in the winter months. These are all part of the reason why they took the Splendor out of New York in winter months (granted NYC is farther north).

We have sailed the cruise twice . Once in February and once in January ( our wedding cruise!) it's usually cold the first 1-2 days but they have a retracting roof over the pool so u can enjoy it. Both times we experiences pretty rough water which I think is normal for the time of year and location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are in the mid-Atlantic for up to 2 days and in January, can be very cold. This past winter was cold and snowy. And yes, they do fill the ship because people are willing to take 3 days of warm weather out of 7. Me, I fly to Florida and catch the ships there :)

hmm thanks! That's probably why it's so cheap...

Ok! off to consider more options. I want to try this itinerary but really want to cruise in January, so maybe another time.

thanks for the help!

Some people prefer to board a ship only when the sun is shining and it is hot and will fly to Florida accordingly. I personally don't care because the Pride has a temperature controlled covered pool and I don't like going "hot places" in summer--I enjoy the Bahamas when it isn't super humid.

You'll find the prices are lower when kids are back in session and when there could be snow on the ground in Baltimore. We've cruised out of Baltimore with 3 feet of snow on the ground and it was the coolest cruise we've done. We booked 20 hours before sailing since there was another storm coming in and school was closed for the week.

21574_481089755343_3916261_n.jpg

Okay, mystery solved! Thanks.

yeah it's 2016. Sorry, I should have specified. I'm looking way ahead this time because I just switched jobs and can't pull vacation time for this coming January.

We have cruised out of Baltimore 3 times in January and it's awesome! There have been times when we got on the ship and you could sit out side without it being too terribly cold where as other times you can't sit out there at all! But it really is still wonderful! It's nice to get out of the cold weather even if it is only for a few days! You start to hit warmer weather when you are around the Carolina's....although it's still not summer warm but it's warmer than Baltimore! On the way back you will hit rough seas the night before the last sea day and that is due to the fact the warm and cold waters are hitting each other(at least that's what we've been told) ! You really should try going out of Baltimore it's cheap, fun and you save on airfare!

I was on Pride this past January. It was cold almost the entire cruise. It was only 45 degrees and windy in Port Canaveral. It only got up to about 75 in Nassau. Our warmest day was in Freeport where the temperature reached 79. All of the sea days were cold. I didn't think the seas were rough, it was just cold.

I was on Pride this past January. It was cold almost the entire cruise. It was only 45 degrees and windy in Port Canaveral. It only got up to about 75 in Nassau. Our warmest day was in Freeport where the temperature reached 79. All of the sea days were cold. I didn't think the seas were rough, it was just cold.

See, this is what I'm worried about. If we have another super cold winter like we did this year, the cold is going to be even colder further south. I don't know it's cheaper, but it's so risky. It will always be warmer than Illinois and it will be a welcome break, but it's so risky!

I did it in February this year and we loved it. Embarkation day and Debarkation day were cold, but every other day was nice. The first and last sea day were not pool weather, so if that means a lot to you then this could be a problem. Days in the ports were perfect, even a little hotter than I would have liked in the Bahamas and Florida.

I really loved being able to drive to the port and pack everything I wanted, so I will be doing this again. The Pride is also my absolute favorite ship. Many people hate the décor, but I adore it. I really hope they do not redecorate her this year in dry dock.