Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Smoking on Balconies

Poohsmommi

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']Last week, I sent a letter to both CCL and NCL thanking them for this new policy, as I did when RCI did it, Celebrity and Princess. I just received a very nice response from NCL in the mail. I'm not going to share it because I don't feel like typing it all out but lets just say, I'm happy they actually listen to and respond to passenger concerns. Bravo NCL. :D[/QUOTE]

Good to know and thank you.

[quote name='Skubi']hmmm just curious, did you tell each of them, in their letters that you were loyal to 4 other cruise lines?[/quote]

As a matter of fact, yes - I did make it clear I prefer to cruise on lines that do not permit smoking on balconies. I also made it clear that I cruise 10-12 times a year so regardless of how many cruise lines I sail with, I'm still more likely to cruise with any 1 individual line more than most people.

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']As a matter of fact, yes - I did make it clear I prefer to cruise on lines that do not permit smoking on balconies. I also made it clear that I cruise 10-12 times a year so regardless of how many cruise lines I sail with, I'm still more likely to cruise with any 1 individual line more than most people.[/QUOTE]

wasn't trying to insult, just curious, as I said.

[quote name='Out to sea!']Well, while your question survived the night, my answer did not for some reason. So I will make it short and sweet. I follow the rules of those in authority and passengers are not the ones who have authority on a ship. If a crew member asks me to smoke in a different area, I follow that order. whether a different passenger likes that order is not my concern. So if I am told to smoke on the starboard side while they clean the port side, I will smoke on the starboard side. And there is no reason to put my vacation on hold for any other passenger. If someone has a problem with the rules, they can take it up with those in command.[/QUOTE]

Nice so I guess you are saying then that if you are smoking in the non smoking area because the cleaning crew said it was ok and a non smoker was there because it was a non smoking section that you would still continue to smoke anyway.

I guess you feel the non smoker must put their vacation on hold for you a smoker who is smoking in the non smoking area for whatever reason

The non smoker would just have to deal with it I suppose or take time to go find someone to report it to

Again nice very nice

Thanks for replying as you basically prove the non smokers point

Sent from my iPhone using Forums Edited by luvtheships

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']As a matter of fact, yes - I did make it clear I prefer to cruise on lines that do not permit smoking on balconies. I also made it clear that I cruise 10-12 times a year so regardless of how many cruise lines I sail with, I'm still more likely to cruise with any 1 individual line more than most people.[/QUOTE]

I cruise on many lines as well and still am able to feel loyal to all of them

Princess. Ncl. Carnival

I look for price port convenience itin dates etc

Currently Ncl seems to be winning out

I am now looking to book a Baltic cruise in 2016 and again Ncl is first in line due to all of the above reasons

But more so because if the new smoking rules!!!! Plus great price and itin.

Bravo Ncl.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='luvtheships']Nice so I guess you are saying then that if you are smoking in the non smoking area because the cleaning crew said it was ok and a non smoker was there because it was a non smoking section that you would still continue to smoke anyway.

I guess you feel the non smoker must put their vacation on hold for you a smoker who is smoking in the non smoking area for whatever reason

The non smoker would just have to deal with it I suppose or take time to go find someone to report it to

Again nice very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

Do you inconsiderately walk through the smoking section and give people dirty looks and wave and cough?

Personally crew or not if I was in a non-smoking section I would refrain from smoking...However by authority of the crew asking her to move to other side with ashtray I do believe that just made the non-smoking section a smoking section for a short time.

The my way or the highway attitude that you are promoting is why this topic has turned so ugly. If people would simply try to be more kind and considerate and less rude on both sides of the fence the world would be a much nicer place

[quote name='luvtheships']I cruise on many lines as well and still am able to feel loyal to all of them

Princess. Ncl. Carnival

I look for price port convenience itin dates etc

Currently Ncl seems to be winning out

I am now looking to book a Baltic cruise in 2016 and again Ncl is first in line due to all of the above reasons

But more so because if the new smoking rules!!!! Plus great price and itin.

Bravo Ncl.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote]I also cruise more than one line. I'll be Elite on Celebrity after my next cruise and will be Platinum on NCL after my November cruise. I think I'm loyal to both. I also don't think it matters if someone has cruised 1 time or 100 times with a cruise line, they still should be able to voice their opinion as to their experiences, the cruise line's policies, etc. Edited by NLH Arizona

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']Last week, I sent a letter to both CCL and NCL thanking them for this new policy, as I did when RCI did it, Celebrity and Princess. I just received a very nice response from NCL in the mail. I'm not going to share it because I don't feel like typing it all out but lets just say, I'm happy they actually listen to and respond to passenger concerns. Bravo NCL. :D[/QUOTE]
Great !:) I swore off booking a balcony on any cruise line that allowed smoking there.
Didn't want to pay a premium in order to be annoyed.
I guess I am down to not booking HAL balconies.;)

My only fear is that by reducing available locations to smoke, those that remain will be unbearable.
Oh well. Worth the trade-off.

[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="1"]Surprised this thread is still up[/SIZE][/COLOR] Edited by richstowe

[quote name='gemsm']Do you inconsiderately walk through the smoking section and give people dirty looks and wave and cough?

Personally crew or not if I was in a non-smoking section I would refrain from smoking...However by authority of the crew asking her to move to other side with ashtray I do believe that just made the non-smoking section a smoking section for a short time.

The my way or the highway attitude that you are promoting is why this topic has turned so ugly. If people would simply try to be more kind and considerate and less rude on both sides of the fence the world would be a much nicer place[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Skubi']hmmm just curious, did you tell each of them, in their letters that you were loyal to 4 other cruise lines?[/QUOTE]I am curious why anyone would be loyal to a cruise line.
That doesn't mean I don't have preferences just that I am loyal to loved ones not to massive corporations.
And you ?

[quote name='gemsm']Do you inconsiderately walk through the smoking section and give people dirty looks and wave and cough?

The my way or the highway attitude that you are promoting is why this topic has turned so ugly. If people would simply try to be more kind and considerate and less rude on both sides of the fence the world would be a much nicer place[/QUOTE]

So expecting a smoker to not smoke on the non smoking side is now my way or the highway?

Sorry but No waycan the non smoking side be turned into the smoking side. Especially if a non smoker is sitting there the smoker is the one who must refrain not the other way around

You can't actually think its ok to smoke on the starboard while the port is being cleaned can you? Come on think clearly here.

How long could it take to clean it really?

A smoker can't refrain but Instead goes to smoke on the non smoking side? Possibly offending non smokers? Really is it that important to smoke at that very moment?

Hmm.... Talk about my way or the highway. Lol it is the smoker who is playing that card not me or any other non smoker sitting in the non smoking section

And btw when I mistakenly realize I am on the smoking side I just turn around and leave it

And if not possible I walk thru briskly and will put put a hand to my nose and mouth

Why? Because it is too smoky not to

No need to wave hands as hands are better utilized over mouth and nose

I am really having trouble thinking that you or any normal thinking human would actually feel the smoker has the right to infringe on the non smoking side because it will be a few minutes until the smoking side is cleaned. Really?

See RichStowe - you have an option/options. Smokers do not. Wouldn't it be great if EVERYONE had a choice? If HAL goes no smoking on balconies, there is an entire vacation lifestyle that is quite sadly after 20+ cruises off the books for me.

[quote name='luvtheships']Nice so I guess you are saying then that if you are smoking in the non smoking area because the cleaning crew said it was ok and a non smoker was there because it was a non smoking section that you would still continue to smoke anyway.

Again nice very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

Let's get one thing straight. I did not ask to smoke in the non-smoking area. I went to the smoking area (and had been there for a while when the cleaning crew arrived and I was asked to smoke in the nonsmoking until they were finished. They even brought me a clean ashtray to use and apologized for asking me to move.

As I have stated in both my posts (the one that survived and the one that didn't survive), if the crew need to temporarily change the location of the smoking area for whatever reason, that new area IS the smoking area and will be used as such until the permanent smoking area is return to the smokers as per those with the authority to do so. If a non-smoker has a problem with that then they can go complain to whoever they wish.

Again, if you have a problem with how NCL runs their ships, I suggest you take it up with them as you have no authority to make rules on board their ships.

Please, I wish a non-smoker would report it that a smoker was smoking in the temporary smoking area. I would just LOVE to see that. It would be such a hoot.

The only thing I have proven is that I will obey the rules of those with the authority to make rules. It's a shame that is a problem for you.

Personally crew or not if I was in a non-smoking section I would refrain from smoking...However by authority of the crew asking [B][COLOR="Red"]her[/COLOR][/B] to move to other side with ashtray I do believe that just made the non-smoking section a smoking section for a short time.

Him. :D

But thank you for understanding that it is not I who is making the rules, only following the rules. Some people just can't seem to grasp that notion.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']I also cruise more than one line. I'll be Elite on Celebrity after my next cruise and will be Platinum on NCL after my November cruise. I think I'm loyal to both. I also don't think it matters if someone has cruised 1 time or 100 times with a cruise line, they still should be able to voice their opinion as to their experiences, the cruise line's policies, etc.[/QUOTE]

I don't consider myself loyal to any cruise line. I am loyal only to my wallet and my desires (ship/init/etc...). I do have some that I would call favorites (such as MOTS on RCCL), but price and itinerary dictate who I sail on, not the name of the cruise line.

[quote name='Out to sea!']Let's get one thing straight. I did not ask to smoke in the non-smoking area. I went to the smoking area (and had been there for a while when the cleaning crew arrived and I was asked to smoke in the nonsmoking until they were finished. They even brought me a clean ashtray to use and apologized for asking me to move.

As I have stated in both my posts (the one that survived and the one that didn't survive), if the crew need to temporarily change the location of the smoking area for whatever reason, that new area IS the smoking area and will be used as such until the permanent smoking area is return to the smokers as per those with the authority to do so. If a non-smoker has a problem with that then they can go complain to whoever they wish.

Again, if you have a problem with how NCL runs their ships, I suggest you take it up with them as you have no authority to make rules on board their ships.

Please, I wish a non-smoker would report it that a smoker was smoking in the temporary smoking area. I would just LOVE to see that. It would be such a hoot.

The only thing I have proven is that I will obey the rules of those with the authority to make rules. It's a shame that is a problem for you.[/quote]

You do realize this is a never ending battle, right?

I hate to say this but some people just can't get a life and leave ours alone. And they will not be satisfied until we are forced to be just like them. Of course, what they do not realize is, it will back fire on them at some point.

[quote name='richstowe']I am curious why anyone would be loyal to a cruise line.
That doesn't mean I don't have preferences just that I am loyal to loved ones not to massive corporations.
And you ?[/QUOTE]

I obviously ruffled feathers by a simple question that BTW I got answered. I did not criticize that poster, give an opinion on whether I thought the poster was right or wrong. I didn't say that poster could not express their views to the company or otherwise. So I'm not really sure why everyone seems to be jumping on this. :confused:

To answer your question, I have been "loyal" to many companies in my lifetime. And by definition of the word that is possible. And if you feel you only wish to be loyal to loved ones, have at her. I could care less.

Seriously folks, I guess this is why so many people have low posting counts but have been a member for longer, you ask a simple question and everyone seems to want to interpret it in a negative way. Edited by Skubi

[quote name='cjnwildfire']You do realize this is a never ending battle, right?

I hate to say this but some people just can't get a life and leave ours alone. And they will not be satisfied until we are forced to be just like them. Of course, what they do not realize is, it will back fire on them at some point.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand it is a never ending battle because some people refuse to believe that the world doesn't revolve around them. Some people seem to think that a business can't change the rules temporarily when in fact they can and the customer has no choice in the matter. Of course, they can (and I suspect do) complain about it till the cows come home and it will probably ruin their entire cruise, but a business can do pretty much whatever it wants as long as they don't violate certain laws. Temporarily relocating the smoking area for ship maintenance is not a violation of one of those laws. I will continue to follow the rules of those in charge instead of listening to some passenger whine because the ones in charge decided to change something.

[quote name='Out to sea!']I don't consider myself loyal to any cruise line. I am loyal only to my wallet and my desires (ship/init/etc...). I do have some that I would call favorites (such as MOTS on RCCL), but price and itinerary dictate who I sail on, not the name of the cruise line.[/quote]That is your choice and that is why having choices is a good thing. I only cruise on three lines, thus I'm loyal to them. For those that want to smoke on their balconies, there is a choice to take another cruise line that allows it and for those that don't want smoking on balconies next to their balcony, it is their choice to sail on a cruise line that doesn't allow smoking on balconies. Everyone has the choice to determine the outcome of their vacation needs and wants. Edited by NLH Arizona

See RichStowe - you have an option/options. Smokers do not. Wouldn't it be great if EVERYONE had a choice? If HAL goes no smoking on balconies, there is an entire vacation lifestyle that is quite sadly after 20+ cruises off the books for me.
I understand and have family members who still smoke.

There are many reasons why HAL should go no smoking on balconies but from a purely $ point of view maybe they shouldn't.

Keeping them smoking would set them apart from all the rest of their competition.

I won't book a balcony on HAL but perhaps the rest of the ship will be less smokey.

That is your choice and that is why having choices is a good thing. I only cruise on three lines, thus I'm loyal to them. For those that want to smoke on their balconies, there is a choice to take another cruise line that allows it and for those that don't want smoking on balconies next to their balcony, it is their choice to sail on a cruise line that doesn't allow smoking on balconies. Everyone has the choice to determine the outcome of their vacation needs and wants.

Absolutely! Choices make life better!!! I have sailed 5 lines myself (plus a short one on the US NAVY) and I find only subtle differences between the lines. Nothing that would make me pay more than I had to for a cruise which is why I am loyal to my wallet.

FWIW, the smoking ban has never had an effect on me as I have never had a balcony during the times I have been a smoker. And even now that I am a smoker, I have no issues going up to deck and actually prefer it for all the people I meet. I respect someone's decision to not sail anymore because of the ban but am lucky that it doesn't effect me.

Unfortunately, this is true on both sides of the issue.

I will agree to a point but think it has been more pronounced with the non-smokers in this thread. I have only seen one or two smokers talking about planning to violate the rules by smoking cigarettes on their balcony. Others have just decided not to cruise at all which is their choice. But the venom of some non-smokers who think they can make the rules on board instead of NCL is a bit overwhelming at times.

I will agree to a point but think it has been more pronounced with the non-smokers in this thread. I have only seen one or two smokers talking about planning to violate the rules by smoking cigarettes on their balcony. Others have just decided not to cruise at all which is their choice. But the venom of some non-smokers who think they can make the rules on board instead of NCL is a bit overwhelming at times.
Sorry, but I've seen the venom on both sides. It doesn't matter if it is a lot or little, it is still wrong in my book. But I will say, that someone saying they will still smoke cigarettes on their balcony, pretty much is the definition of someone that thinks the world revolves around them, as they feel they can pick and choose the rules that they will only adhere to based on their lifestyle. Just saying.

Only NCL makes the rules and IMHO, I think everyone should adhere to them or find another vacation alternative that is more with their lifestyle and that is directed to smokers and non-smokers as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona