My Experience with Liquor.

first2travel

Being a gold member, I have had the opportunity to utilize this cruise line for many (6) of our travel adventures. As such, the concern has always been the cost of liquor on the ship. I realize that the line produces a profit, rightly so, with the booze, and gambling, and excursions offered. In fact, many of the travel TV shows mention that the any cruise line could give away each cabin and still make a profit with the above mentioned extras alone. Be that as it may, I want to share my experience with this issue. On one of my adventures, with a small group of family and friends, one in our group brought a large bottle of VO and carried it in their luggage. As a security check, all luggage is scanned while vacationers find their way to their cabins. The luggage is then brought to the cabin by staff. Upon arriving at their cabin a note was attached to the cabin door. "Please go to the Pursers office" I accompanied this friend to the office. My friend was asked to open the luggage. The bottle was taken, my friend given a receipt and was informed that at the conclusion of the trip, the bottle will be returned. Which it was.

There was only one cruise line that did not follow this policy. Holland America on my Alaska adventure. Why, I do not know. We boarded after Skagway having purchased a few bottles, it was scanned and security let us through. It was a few years ago. Maybe their policy has changed. Happy travels!

Your experience is nothing new. It would have been the same on Holland America, you just caught an incidence where they weren't checking. Most lines allow around two bottles of wine except NCL which charges a collage fee no matter where you drink it, but the others only charge this collage of you bring it to dinner. Once NCL missed my wine to charge me a courage on my wine, but that is still the policy. None of the lines allow liquors or spirits onboard, which is what your friend had.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Being a gold member, I have had the opportunity to utilize this cruise line for many (6) of our travel adventures. As such, the concern has always been the cost of liquor on the ship. I realize that the line produces a profit, rightly so, with the booze, and gambling, and excursions offered. In fact, many of the travel TV shows mention that the any cruise line could give away each cabin and still make a profit with the above mentioned extras alone. Be that as it may, I want to share my experience with this issue. On one of my adventures, with a small group of family and friends, one in our group brought a large bottle of VO and carried it in their luggage. As a security check, all luggage is scanned while vacationers find their way to their cabins. The luggage is then brought to the cabin by staff. Upon arriving at their cabin a note was attached to the cabin door. "Please go to the Pursers office" I accompanied this friend to the office. My friend was asked to open the luggage. The bottle was taken, my friend given a receipt and was informed that at the conclusion of the trip, the bottle will be returned. Which it was.

There was only one cruise line that did not follow this policy. Holland America on my Alaska adventure. Why, I do not know. We boarded after Skagway having purchased a few bottles, it was scanned and security let us through. It was a few years ago. Maybe their policy has changed. Happy travels!

Sorry to say but I'm glad they was caught in order to send message to others. Because if it isn't caught then the rest of us pay for it in higher cruise prices.

You can also go the route of ordering a bar setup for your cabin in advance.

Your experience is nothing new. It would have been the same on Holland America, you just caught an incidence where they weren't checking. Most lines allow around two bottles of wine except NCL which charges a collage fee no matter where you drink it, but the others only charge this collage of you bring it to dinner. Once NCL missed my wine to charge me a courage on my wine, but that is still the policy. None of the lines allow liquors or spirits onboard, which is what your friend had.

Want to try all that again? :D

I stand corrected only Disney allows liquor but then they say you can only consume it in your cabin,not in public areas and you must carry it on,not check it. If you were able to check it you were lucky because that isn't their policy. I think Disney makes their money selling stuffed Mickeys in captain outfits and smoothies so it makes sense they are not as strict.

As a general rule they don't allow hard liquors for MOST cruiselines.

Edited by bearette

FYI, you are welcome to bring as much alcohol on DCL as you wish. We've stuck luggage tags to the side of cases of beer and left them with checked luggage.

For the price you pay for DCL you should be able to bring dancing girls on with you!

Can you order bottles of vodka, gin etc... for the cabin?

Yes you can get a bar set up for your cabin, A litre bottle starts anywhere from $80-$100. With a $3.95 set up fee. If you do a search for "Bar Set Up" you should be able to find a list of what is available with costs.

Rochelle

Here I will do some of the work for you:

Not everything is listed - missing something ask and see if available.

BAR SET UP

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013

Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr

Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose L'Orange $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

AND YOU ARE WELCOME !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

If you did not read the "FINE PRINT" buy your bottle before the cruise call

the 800 number 1-800-327-7030 and pay a $3 handling fee - - -

DO NOT PURCHASE ON BOARD AND PAY WITH A 15% GRATUTITY FEE !

I.E. $100 bottle of xxx + $3 fee = $103 as opposed to $100 bottle + 15% ($15) = $115 !

Cheers - Salute - Whatever is appra-pro!

Here I will do some of the work for you:

Not everything is listed - missing something ask and see if available.

BAR SET UP

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013

Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr

Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose L'Orange $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

AND YOU ARE WELCOME !

Wouldn't be a lot easier on one's wallet to just stay sober??? :eek:

If you did not read the "FINE PRINT" buy your bottle before the cruise call

the 800 number 1-800-327-7030 and pay a $3 handling fee - - -

DO NOT PURCHASE ON BOARD AND PAY WITH A 15% GRATUTITY FEE !

I.E. $100 bottle of xxx + $3 fee = $103 as opposed to $100 bottle + 15% ($15) = $115 !

Cheers - Salute - Whatever is appra-pro!

Prost! (German) :)

Wouldn't be a lot easier on one's wallet to just stay sober??? :eek:

with my husbands job he has to stay stone cold sober all year as he can be called in for a pee test any time .. vacations well that another story ;) so he sort of makes up for a whole year in one week.. one bottle of vodka one bottle of kaluha and he is a happy cruiser.. cheaper to get bottles than the bar bill we had our first cruise.. You want scarey that bill was really scarey :eek:.