Copenhagen Itinerary (Input Please)

I have created a day-by-day "plan" for our first trip to Copenhagen. Can you please review and let me know if the groupings by day are accurate; is everything I have realistic or too ambitious; if there is something on the list that isn't worth seeing or something is missing that we should see; and you overall thoughts in general. I could use help with recommendations near the Carlsberg Brewery on our final day.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Day 1 (Thursday)

-- Arrive in Copenhagen around noon, go to hotel (staying near Tivoli Park)

and grab lunch

-- Purchase Copenhagen card

-- Explore the city with the Hop-on Hop-off Bus to obtain our bearings

-- Perhaps visit Tivoli Park and grab dinner.

-- Call it a night!

Day 2 (Friday)

-- Copenhagen Free Walking Tours

-- Visit Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

-- Visit National Museum

-- Is there time to do anything else or does this fill the day?

Day 3 (Saturday)

-- Ruins Under Christiansborg

-- Changing of her Majesty's guard at Amalienborg Castle

-- Canal Tour

- Visit Nyhavn

Day 4 (Sunday)

-- Statens Museum for Kunst/National Gallery of Denmark

-- Rosenborg Castle

-- Rundetaarn

-- The Little Mermaid (Den Lille Havfrue) (should we move to day 3?)

-- Citadel (Kastellet) (Should we move to day 3?)

Day 5 (Monday)

-- Leave on Cruise

Day 6 (Friday)

-- Arrive back from cruise in the early morning and overnight in in

Copenhagen before flying out Saturday

-- Copenhagen's Carlsberg Brewery Tour

-- What else would you recommend in the area?

Thanks!

Edited by boblivenla

Christiania may be worth a look, depending on your group.

The canal tour is really good. You can do one that does a loop in an hour (take the blue boat from Nyhavn or the more expensive one from Nyhavn or Gammel Strand. There is also a HoHo boat that takes longer to make the circuit (since it stops). I think you can get a ticket that includes the bus and boat for less than the cost of getting both separately. The nice thing about the ho/ho boat is you can get off at the Little Mermaid, which is an easy way to see it. The other canal boats drive by the Little Mermaid but don't stop. (Though, check with the operators about how frequent the boats are -- spending and hour at the Little Mermaid may be too much if you take the green line, which I think only has one boat per hour.)

Entering Tivoli just for dinner is an expensive proposition. If you have the card, though, it won't matter, but the one thing I'd check is whether your copenhagen card gets you unlimited admission in and out of tivoli (I'm sure some here will know) or whether it's just one admission one time. If you are only planning to go that once, it doesn't matter. But if it's just one admission and you think you might like to go back, going in for dinner on the first day might be a bit of a waste.

Thanks Regguy, does the rest of the program look doable in their order?

You're doing lots of stuff we didn't, so I don't know that I can say. I was just spotting a few things that had been on my list. My overall reaction is that it looks pretty ambitious. Not sure where you're based, but if you're crossing lots of time zones to get to Copenhagen, you have to take into account jet lag, and also the fact that Baltic Cruises themselves actually are usually very port-intensive and also on the way to St. Petersburg, you also have to put the clock ahead 2 more hours, so it feels like you're always playing catch up until the ship turns around and you get the hours back.

We live in the west coast of the USA, so when we fly to Europe, we tend to follow the "one big thing a day" rule for the first several days after we land. But if you're UK based or something, and can hit the ground running, maybe that's not so much. We just got back, and everything seemed to take a little longer than I thought it would -- I was constantly looking at my watch and saying, "how can it be 4:00 p.m. already?" Anyway, it's a great plan if you can do it.

You have a full schedule.

If it was us, we would start with the most important item on our list. Then that is over with and you can relax and take time to enjoy the atmosphere, have a nice leasurely lunch, make stops with interesting squares.

When we visit a new city and have a few days, we like to start with a hop on/off bus to get a better impression of the city and then work from there.

Copenhagen is a great city, so take your time to enjoy her.

The other day I read in one of the Danish papers, then so far this year, there have been more cases of pick pockets than in any previous year. Yes, Copenhagen is not the same any more.

Hey Regguy,

We are from the LA so it will be a long flight over. I typically make an ambitious plan but then prioritize sites more important to least day by day so if we run out of time or get tired we can always drop a site from the plan.

Jason

You mentioned a free walking tour. great. The main things to see in Copenhagen are very compact and you can do most of them all in one day if you desire. We also did a walking tour. The walk itself was about 5 hours depending on here you want to stop and how much time you spend there. We docked at Langeline, near the Little Mermaid. We walked to Nyhavn, did the boat tour, them to the Palace for the Changing of the guards. From there, we walked thru the Stoget, stopping for some window shopping. From there to City Hall Square. We had a bite to eat, sat in the Hans Christian Anderson Statue, and then were off to Rosenborg Castle. We didn't tour it, but we sat in the lovely rose gardens for a bit before heading back towards our ship. We still had plenty of time, so we bought some ice cream and just sat in a local park for about an hour, meeting some of the locals.

Believe me, you can do all of this is maybe 6- 7 hours at a really slow pace, again, depending on how much time you want to spend at each stop.

Cheers

Len

A friend said one of the highlights of her trip to Copenhagen was a visit to the Louisiana museum, and then a tour of Kronborg Castle (setting of Hamlet). They are both outside of Copenhagen so a purchased tour or car rental would be necessary.

Hey seasoned traveler, can you please post this question on you own post? I'd prefer not to receive email notifications that aren't specific to my request. Thank you and have a great trip! :)

Think you are being rude. Thought CC was an information site open to all for sharing the love if travel.

A friend said one of the highlights of her trip to Copenhagen was a visit to the Louisiana museum, and then a tour of Kronborg Castle (setting of Hamlet). They are both outside of Copenhagen so a purchased tour or car rental would be necessary.

I am not too famiiliar with the rail systen in Northern Sjaelland, but believe you can do both on the same line. If no one here can help, you can get all the help you need from your hotel staff.

Honestly I have never been to Kronborg, but several times to Louisiana.

Yes they are both on the same train line to Helsingør/Elsinore called Kystbanen (the coastal line)

Kronborg is off course located in Helsingør and Louisiana is located in Humlebæk 10 minutes away on the train.

Edited by Danish viking

Tivoli is great. We got in each night with the card. Unless you want to ride the rides. There was a very good pantomime one night and a gymnastic performance the other night. We had dinner there one night and beer another night. It was a nice place to relax and enjoy the evening after a full day of walking.

We saw Christianborg and the National Museum one day. We took a canal tour and saw Rosenborg the other day. We also walked Stroget, saw the Round Tower (but did not go in), and visited the yarn shop.

Copenhagen is an easy city to navigate and we really enjoyed our time there.

Couple of thoughts/suggestions if you are getting the Copenhagen card:

- it covers the train from airport to town, so get it at the airport info desk if you can

- the train station is across from Tivoli, so you could then walk to your hotel, or a cheap cab

- you get one Tivoli entry per day with the Copenhagen card - and costs something like 25 kr for a second.....learned that the hard way

- the card includes one of the canal tours - need to get on at Gammel Strand, which will be an easy walk from your hotel - not sure if you can do it more than once

Hope that helps a little

Our pace was slow, so really cannot comment on your overall list