Using birth certificates instead of passports

Hubby and I booked a last minute cruise Ft Laud to Nassau and back to Ft Laud for the end of August and our passports expire at the end of July.

We are both US citizens so are we ok bringing our state issued birth certificates (not copies) and valid drivers license? We have used passports for so long that I just want to make sure we'll be ok to board.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by brenderlou

We booked a last minute cruise Ft Laud to Nassau and back to Ft Laud for the end of August and our passports expire at the end of July.

We are both US citizens so are we ok bringing our state issued birth certificates (not copies) and valid drivers license? We just used passports for do long that I just want to make sure we'll be ok to board.

Thanks

As long as the cruise leaves from and returns to the same US port, you can use a certified copy of a BC, and a govt. issued photo ID.

Edited by clarea

Whew! Thanks. Just tripled checked and both our birth cert. are certified copies.

Just remember to bring your photo ID (DL) when you get off in Nassau...they are going to ask to see it as you leave the Nassau port terminal on your way back to board the ship....Their the only caribbean port we've been to that has asked to see it.

Friends of ours have gotten a Pass card instead of a Passport and according to RCI, the State Dept and The TA, they will be okay as long as they do not have to fly back to the US.

Friends of ours have gotten a Pass card instead of a Passport and according to RCI, the State Dept and The TA, they will be okay as long as they do not have to fly back to the US.

True, and I believe the passport card can be used for open loop cruises too.

We've been to Nassau many times. We stay on the boat when at port!

Sorry..didn't realize of your experience...but perhaps it will help out some that have none in Nassau.

Sorry..didn't realize of your experience...but perhaps it will help out some that have none in Nassau.

Yes and I appreciate the response!

Thank you-

You can also bring your expired passport too.

We just realized DH's PP is expired and we leave in Aug. We will bring his BC but I was also wondering about his expired passport? Have you done this? I think we will take the BC for sure, I wouldn't want to take a chance, but just curious.

Our plan is to also stay on the ship since we have been to Nassau several times and it is not one of our favorite ports. DH and DS talked about maybe getting off by themselves for a little while since DS was little the last time we were there and doesn't really remember it. That's iffy though, we like being on the ship in port;)

We just realized DH's PP is expired and we leave in Aug. We will bring his BC but I was also wondering about his expired passport? Have you done this? I think we will take the BC for sure, I wouldn't want to take a chance, but just curious.

Our plan is to also stay on the ship since we have been to Nassau several times and it is not one of our favorite ports. DH and DS talked about maybe getting off by themselves for a little while since DS was little the last time we were there and doesn't really remember it. That's iffy though, we like being on the ship in port;)

I took my expired passport along with the Certified BC and DL. I presented them all, and said "my passport is expired" in a very upfront manner. Some agents ran the expired passport through the machine (this was at Port Canaveral and at Bayonne), and others gave it back to me and accepted the other documents.

It was suggested that the expired passport would help expedite getting special permission to fly home from a foreign port in an emergency - I don't know for sure if that it true, but I figured it couldn't hurt to bring it along just in case.

Edited by DonnaK

You'll be fine as others have mentioned.

Don't be surprised if you get more questions from the customs agent when you get off the ship. My passport was expired on my last trip and I got -- What hospital were you born at, What's your father's middle name, Where did you go to college, What did you major in, etc. Friends with passports got a question or two and then were sent on their way.

I am assuming a child (age 7) just needs a raised seal birth certificate. Are they required to do some kind of picture id as well? Never sailed with a child before.

Correct, just a raised seal birth certificate.

From the RCCL Website:

"Minors under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Issued by DOA; or Certificate of Naturalization issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services."

I am assuming a child (age 7) just needs a raised seal birth certificate. Are they required to do some kind of picture id as well? Never sailed with a child before.

Many jurisdictions issue birth certificates without raised seals. Instead they use a special paper or other offical mark. The "raised seal" notion circulates on Cruise Critic and with cruise line reps but is not fully correct.

A few caveats regarding the use of birth certificates on closed loop cruises:

You must be a US citizen born in the US

It must be an original or copy of an official birth certificate (not from a hospital)

Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/2010 are not acceptable

It does NOT need to list the parents names

If the name on the BC does not match the DL due to marriage, bring a marriage certificate to document the name change

A few caveats regarding the use of birth certificates on closed loop cruises:

You must be a US citizen born in the US

. . .

Not according to the US CBP website:

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

Whether the RCI staff at the pier will be satisfied may be another question.

"Birth certificates" are for people born in the U.S. I emphasized that because, there was a thread on CC about someone who tried to board with a German birth certificate after being previously told it was OK by Holland America. He was denied boarding at the pier although he later received compensation.

You are correct that CBP allows a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, with a photo ID, to be used for closed loop cruising. A CRBA is technically not a birth certificate but serves in lieu of it. Likewise a naturalization certificate, with a photo ID, can also be used.

You raise a good point as to whether RCCL will accept a CRBA. A cruise line can impose stricter requirements than CBP. Here is what is on Royal's web site:

Exceptions:

United States citizens on cruises that begin and end at the same port in the United States can use a original government-issued picture ID (i.e. driver's license) AND an original government-issued birth certificate or original Naturalization Certificate.

Minors under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Issued by DOA; or Certificate of Naturalization issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note that a CRBA is listed as an acceptable document for a minor under 16, but is not listed for an adult. I don't know if that is an inadvertent omission or deliberate policy. To avoid doubt, my advice would be not to rely on a CRBA for an adult if at all possible.

Edited by dwjoe

. . . .

Note that a CRBA is listed as an acceptable document for a minor under 16, but is not listed for an adult. I don't know if that is an inadvertent omission or deliberate policy. To avoid doubt, my advice would be not to rely on a CRBA for an adult if at all possible.

Thanks for the clarification. I was afraid that your comment could be interpreted to mean the exception for closed loop cruises only applied if you were born un the US. As a father of a child born abroad solely because I was there at the behest of the government, this is a pretty big issue to me.

The comment about the CRBA/Certificate of Naturalization I quoted from the CBP website is in a parenthetical at the end of the paragraph which discusses the closed loop thing generally. The last specific thing discussed before the parenthetical is the exception to the birth certificate requirement for infants where the government issued certificate has not yet arrived. This could lead to an inference that the parenthetical refers only to minors. But, since the paragraph refers to closed loop cruises generally and everywhere else in the CBP website where birth certificates are mentioned CRBAs and Naturalization certificates are stated as acceptable alternatives, I am pretty sure the parenthetical, however awkwardly, was intended to apply to the paragraph generally -- minors and adults.

The RCI statement, while perhaps even more awkward, appears to parrot the CBP comment for the most part. While allowances may need to be given for the over zealous pier worker, I am confident the CRBA is within the intended definition of "government issued birth certificate."

Just remember to bring your photo ID (DL) when you get off in Nassau...they are going to ask to see it as you leave the Nassau port terminal on your way bac.k to board the ship....Their the only caribbean port we've been to that has asked to see it.

You also have to produce your photo ID to the Mexican authorities to get back on the ship in Cozumel and Progreso.

As long as the cruise leaves from and returns to the same US port, you can use a certified copy of a BC, and a govt. issued photo ID.

Thats what I heard too. our kids are going with us on a cruise, leaving from ft lauderdale and returning to ft lauderdale. Post office, Homeland security, passports office all said Birth certificate was ok with kids.

The comment about the CRBA/Certificate of Naturalization I quoted from the CBP website is in a parenthetical at the end of the paragraph which discusses the closed loop thing generally. The last specific thing discussed before the parenthetical is the exception to the birth certificate requirement for infants where the government issued certificate has not yet arrived. This could lead to an inference that the parenthetical refers only to minors. But, since the paragraph refers to closed loop cruises generally and everywhere else in the CBP website where birth certificates are mentioned CRBAs and Naturalization certificates are stated as acceptable alternatives, I am pretty sure the parenthetical, however awkwardly, was intended to apply to the paragraph generally -- minors and adults.

The RCI statement, while perhaps even more awkward, appears to parrot the CBP comment for the most part. While allowances may need to be given for the over zealous pier worker, I am confident the CRBA is within the intended definition of "government issued birth certificate."

I am likewise confident that a CRBA is OK by CBP for adults, and they spell it out in the WHTI land and sea FAQ:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

I see your point about the RCCL web site parroting the CBP reference you posted earlier. Hopefully that means they will accept a CRBA for adults the same as CBP does.

Edited by dwjoe

You also have to produce your photo ID to the Mexican authorities to get back on the ship in Cozumel and Progreso.

St Thomas too (I have first hand experience with this - my mom left hers onboard, and they did not let her through the gate until they called someone "official" from the ship to vouch for her and allow her through. She received a very stern reprimand)