Viking: PDF versions of passenger handouts?

Ukalady

We leave on Aug. 2 for our Grand European Tour and four days ago received our pre-cruise package from Viking. The package is a lot of fun to read and dream about for the next three weeks until departure, but, geesh, it'd be nice if those documents, including the Itinerary Specific Information Booklet and the two books about the Rhine and Danube were in electronic, PDF format.

In this day, I think a lot of folks travel with tablets, iPads, Kindles, etc. to minimize the weight and bulk of the stuff they're taking on their travels. I'd much rather have my information documents in PDF. What about others?

I know the personalized itinerary is created electronically (hence the ability to create an on-demand, personalized book) so why couldn't they make it available as a passenger download as an adjunct to the print versions? And the books about the Danube and Rhine would be easy to convert to PDF from their creation software.

I'll call Viking and request it but don't expect much of a response. Besides, they're hard to get answers from since we booked with a travel agent and Viking doesn't deal with us as passengers, preferring us to contact the travel agent for most matters.

But, I figured if we could show Viking on this board that there's a need/desire for this and I'm not the only one, maybe there'd be more of a chance of it happening?

Any others on board (yes, pun intended) with this?

I would second you! I´d like to read the pre cruise information on my Kindle (and use the time I spend on the bus to my office). Many ocean cruise lines don´t sent out print material anymore but edocs. Paper docs are still regarded as "luxury" in those days. But I´d like to have the option to chose between paper and pdf or get the pdf as additional option.

steamboats

Hi, Scenic include the itenerary when they send the email confirmation of your booking, mind you I did not think of copying it to the iPad, dah! The books may be a little more challenging could be tied up with copyright but nevertheless a good idea. Something for the future.

We received a PDF document shortly after we booked with much of the info that is included in the booklet. It covered many of the ports, policies etc. Did you receive that?

Here is a link to a PDF I found on the Viking Cruises web site for the Amsterdam to Budapest direction of the cruise:

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/passenger_documentation/2014/14GRAEURAMS_GrandEuropeanTour_AMS-BUD15.pdf

For the Budapest to Amsterdam direction try this:

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/passenger_documentation/2014/14GRAEURBUD_Grand_European_Tour%20BUD-AMS15.pdf

To find itineraries for other cruises, go to the Viking Cruises web site and navigate to My Trip/About My Cruise/Itinerary & Travel Information.

Hope this helps.

On their web site, Vikiing posted the pdf version of their booklet for the Bordeaux (Chateaux, Rivers & Wine) Cruise months ago. This is a new 2014 itinerary so it was posted after the already existing booklets.

Check on their site for you cruise and see if its been posted. So many of us apprecite the specofoc information so far ahead of time!

Now I wish they'd post the time-schedule dailies for each cruise - that'd be really fun to know!!!

Thanks, all, I downloaded the March 2014 Amsterdam/Budapest itinerary, but what I'd really like is if it had the "personalized" pages included.

I guess I'll just photocopy then scan the first several pages with the "personalized" info then I'll use Acrobat Pro to add those pages to the March 2014 PDF linked above (thank you BlueFine). The end result would be a single PDF which I can load on my iPad as well as leave at home with hubby.

I don't think it would have taken Viking much effort to provide that as a single PDF at the time they used on-demand printing to create the print version of the booklet which they sent by UPS...but... :confused:

I'm also looking for PDFs of the two booklets, "The Rhine and its Tributaries," as well as "The Danube." I haven't found those on the Viking site but my search skills may not be as hearty as those of you who are more experienced with river cruising and/or Viking.

If they can print it, they can easily make a PDF . . . personally, I like the paper, but the electronic version would also be handy.

Maybe it's in the interest of safety. Like Steamboats, a lot of us would try to read on our way to work. Trouble is, we are more likely to drive than ride transit. ;)