No communication from Celebrity on a cruise scheduled to go to Israel

cruisegirl1

Not so,my response was just to illustrate to the previous poster that I did have some experience of running a successful business which clearly takes a little more customer focused approach than what we are currently experiencing. Bait and switch is not what I am alleging however this is not the normal last minute problem with weather or strikes this is a clear and measurable threat to the itinerary months in advance. If X have the information to assist their passengers in making an educated decision before parting with their money, and I think they probably do, then it seems reasonable to me to pass this information on. As I said I believe that this would secure far more sales than it would lose including the one most important to me! We can deal with change, even substantial change but if we find out later that X could have reduced the impact of that change through preparing us for it, or reduced the stress of the uncertainty by providing a clear plan B then we might reasonably think less of them.

I like cruising with Celebrity, I am not out to bash the company, I and others in the same position are just appealing for a little more info and communication from X to help us prepare and plan for that change , or bail out if we choose to without taking a large financial hit, and a little shared experience, preferably without the snide asides from CC members.

Clearly a much bigger ask than I thought at the outset.

Adults need to make decisions, Anyone with even the slightest concern about a change in this itinerary, needs to cancel - now. Even if X cancels the ports now, they may add them back in the day of when cursing. No matter ehsat they do or say the fact is until that day no one knows what the result is gin to be, so one needs to either sept that and decide base don thode ever changing conditions, or kjist go with the flow and not care.

I'm on a cruise with about 900 gay people with a stop in Jamaiaca in November with X. Jamaica's government is notoriously harsh on gays and will even arrest us just for being gay. Should X look to change that port too, I mean it's dangerous for 1/3 of the ship to even step off the ship. What is their "B" plan in case the government tortures even more people between now and then....

People on the Israel cruise booked knowing there has been 2,000 years of tension and uprising in the area, so not sure why they now seem to forget that issue and want X to suddenly once and for all make a decision about going or not. Clearly X want to make the to, and likely will decide only very near the sailing what they will do.

There's just as much chance they make the stop as they don't make the stop, actually probably more chance they actually visit the port. There are about 8 other cruise lines calling on that port in September/october and none of them have altered their itineraries yet either.

Mind you I'm on Dubai to Rome with Century next April stopping in Israel along the way, so I have as much in this argument as anyone else does, I booked knowing that region has issues, and come time to board the ship, I may find the ship not even in Dubai itself to board, let alone making a stop in Israel, so I have a personal "plan B" in mind if necessary.

Not at all expecting X to make my decisions for me or give me anything to plan around other than the itinerary as I booked it, with the knowledge that like all itineraries, the cruise line can change as it feels appropriate at such time as it feels appropriate to do so.

This thread just keeps circling and circling....there is no resolution...even Celebrity has chimed in with their stand on the issue......

I suspect a host will come in anytime and close the thread before it gets ugly....

I feel bad for the people waiting and wondering having been there myself....but that's all you can do....keep fingers & toes crossed that it all works out the way you want or cancel.... Celebrity and no other cruiseline is going to change this policy anytime soon.....

Just as quickly as the situation deteriorated in Israel & Palestine, it could and probably will be resolved in three months time. If your cruise was in the next few weeks, I'd say your chances of reaching the Holy Land were slim--but three months is a long time in an area where and entire war was over and done with in 6 days.

I agree that it is HIGHLY unlikely that you'll just turn circles in the Med for 6 days--something will be substituted, and you can tell from all the other Eastern Mediterranean itineraries what locations have facilities for ships that size. Istanbul is a fantastic alternative, I could go back again and again. The Greek islands are very likely, Kusadasi for Ephesus, not sure if Malta would make it in that mix but it's a wonderful cruise stop. I'm sure Celebrity would/will do their very best to provide a great experience no matter what.

I also work for a large mega-corporation. They play things very close to the vest and no information is released without it being 100% solid and verified and triple checked--so this is really not surprising at all.

Cathy, I was thinking the same thing. Situations in that part of the country can settle down in a short period of time. I would rather Celebrity take their time and evaluate the situation before making any changes. I would also want them to take their time with a plan B, instead of hastily putting something together which would either give the passengers extra sea days or a ports that would not enhance their cruising experience, take the time to research everything. Folks have to remember that the ports only hold so many cruise ships and September and October are quite busy, so Celebrity just can't go to any port. If someone has their heart set on a certain port, I would say cancel and re-book for next year, in hopes that everything will be a lot more calm.

OP, We had an itinerary a few years ago on NCL that was the same as the one you are describing. Unfortunately, the rockets were firing from Gaza then, too. What NCL did was cancel Ashdod and have longer docked in Haifa to the north. All the same tours ran from there and we did the overnight to Jerusalem. On the second day we went to the Masada and the Dead Sea. At no time did I feel unsafe. Security was excellent everywhere we went.

That line no longer goes to Israel. I think it's not a security issue but a "people are afraid to book and we're not making money" issue. Our fabulous guide explained a lot of issues to us. Unless things get a lot worse, I'd go as this is one place I wouldn't want to have missed and we never know what the future will hold or whether Celebrity will continue to offer this itinerary.

Mind you I'm on Dubai to Rome with Century next April stopping in Israel along the way, so I have as much in this argument as anyone else does, I booked knowing that region has issues, and come time to board the ship, I may find the ship not even in Dubai itself to board, let alone making a stop in Israel, so I have a personal "plan B" in mind if necessary.

Now you've got me thinking Curt----

I wondered if they might substitute Malta for Israel, but never thought that the ship might not depart from Dubai!:eek:

Please share your plan B!

Obviously you are nervous. October is 3 months away. The conflict in Israel will most likely be over by then. If not, your cruise may skip the Israeli ports. Safety imay dictate whether or not you get to Israel. If your main objective is visiting Israel, try a land tour. I understand your concern. Last week, I received email from a tour company with whom I booked a land tour in Israel. They changed the cancellation policy from 95 days to 45 days.if the trip is canceled, I get a refund. If I decide not to go up until the 45 days, I can rebook any tour that this tour company offers...no time limit.. My final payment was due yesterday. I paid it. I hope that peace comes to Israel soon.

It makes no difference in terms of this discussion, but in the case of the Oct 4 sailing on the Silhouette, there is an added variable. They have an propulsion problem that cannot be fixed until their next scheduled dry dock. This has caused them to cut the time originally scheduled in Messina and Jerusalem.

Now you've got me thinking Curt----

I wondered if they might substitute Malta for Israel, but never thought that the ship might not depart from Dubai!:eek:

Please share your plan B!

My Plan B (and I'm lucky that I live in the US versus UK where our travel custom allows us to cancel for full refund) is I'm watching the Millennium asia cruise at the same time, and the Reflection TA a the time. I'll likely make a decision right at final payment if I will cancel and rebook another cruise.

I'm not one to travel so much for the ports and excursions I enjoy the ship and change of scenery and just getting off and wandering and coming back onto the ship.

Adults need to make decisions, Anyone with even the slightest concern about a change in this itinerary, needs to cancel - now. Even if X cancels the ports now, they may add them back in the day of when cursing. No matter ehsat they do or say the fact is until that day no one knows what the result is gin to be, so one needs to either sept that and decide base don thode ever changing conditions, or kjist go with the flow and not care.

OK Cle-guy, you seriously need to rethink your spell checker or stop the drinking...

.. what I get out of this is that with gin and cursing lisping is bound to be the result.... ;)

OK Cle-guy, you seriously need to rethink your spell checker or stop the drinking...

.. what I get out of this is that with gin and cursing lisping is bound to be the result.... ;)

Oh I know.. my spell check is crazy in this forum, it's automatic and I have no idea how to stop it. Not sure if it's a cruise critic thing, or something in the OS of my Mac...

Check how many times I type the word CABIN but somehow it changes to CANON.....I have to retype canon to cabin sooooo many times.....