Family Cruise over the Christmas/NY holidays??

KiwiGal117

Considering a cruise out of Florida leaving around Dec 27 or 28. Has anyone done a NYE cruise with kids before. Travelling with friends, kids are 8, 10 and 11.

Have cruised twice before on Legend and Splendour. Thinking of a bigger ship this time that will have more activities for the kids. Any suggestions? Explorer, Freedom, Independence and possibly Allure are all options.

Do they offer a special NYE dinner in the MDR or is it better to book specialty dining? Does the kids club do anything special for NYE?

Any recommendations, or tips?? Thanks everyone!:)

I would post this on the Cruise Line Board.

What I will tell you is that on Holiday cruises there are a lot of children on board which adds to the spirit of the cruise.

I hope you do it. It will be very nice for you and your family.

Keith

Our last three cruises included NYE, but on Princess. It's better to ask on the cruiseline board (as mentioned by Keith) as there could be differences, especially when kids are involved. I can tell you that there were many kids, even young ones, who were in the grand atrium enjoying the live music and the festivities. On each of these cruises, NYE was formal night.

From what I have read, you can expect 1,000-1,200 kids on board the bigger RCI ships over Christmas and NYE cruises. If it were me, I would go for the biggest - Allure or Oasis, as they will offer the most activities to keep all these kids busy without seeming too crowded. I would love to do a Christmas cruise too, but my son is still too small to handle that many kids...lol.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have done three NYE cruises with my kids and we have another planned for next year. I love it and the kids do too!

NYE is typically formal night. On your table that night will be blowers, tiaras and top hats in NYE theme. There will be several countdown parties throughout the ship. Normally there is one in the Centrum or Promenade, depending on your ship, and then also on the Pool Deck. Complimentary Champagne is passed out right before midnight to everyone of age in these areas they are doing the countdown celebration. Then there is normally live music in several venues afterwards. Kids are welcome to join in the festivities. My kids love it! It's a lot of fun. I would imagine that the Kid Clubs have their own countdown and party if the moms and dads were ringing in NYE without them elsewhere but my kids have always been with us.