Beaches in Bermuda...

blueflower1968

No tour is the best tour IMHO. You can do anything you want on the island by using the bus/ferry transportation and your feet as long as you don't mind walking a bit. We absolutely love Horseshoe Bay Beach BUT when you get there walk to the left and keep walking. You will be away from the crowds and will be able to find your own piece of paradise after about 5 minutes. I don't know why but people seem to congregate right as soon as you get to the beach. That is not the best part of the beach. I also love Tobacco Bay which is about a 45 minute ferry ride away to St. George. This is a much smaller beach but is very quaint and St. George is a wonderful town to discover by walking. It is uphill to the beach but the walk is lovely.

Bermuda is my favourite cruise port stop of all time. Each time we have been there we have found something new to do and have enjoyed every minute of it.

well we congregated right at the start of the beach for a few reasons…close to the facilities, food vendors, washrooms etc…enjoyed climbing up the rocks and snorkeling in the shallows nearby

different strokes

Don't take a sponsored tour-the daily bus/ferry pass is the easiest and cheapest way to get around. I don't know the cost right now, but it was only $7 pp per day back in 2009. We took the express bus to St. George and walked around a bit. It's very lovely, and then walked to Tobacco Bay. It is up hill, but you can catch a taxi which was $4 pp each way (Again that was in 2009, prices may have gone up a little). At Tobacco Bay you can rent a sun umbrella, beach chairs and snorkel equipment.

I agree, do not waste your money on an island tour. Go to tripadvisor and see what the popular attractions are. Then, look at a map, and see how to group your activities together by region/day.

Then buy a 2 day bus pass. Transportation, is clean, safe, and reliable. If you change your mind last minute, not a problem. If it rains, do something else.

No sense in paying $100pp for a tour that doesn't really do much of anything. Bus passes were $15 1 day/$25 2 day if I remember correctly.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00006b.htm

It will be an adventure that you will not forget!

Edited by marci22

Generally you'll want to visit the most popular sights when you visit any destination for the first time and a tour is an excellent way to do that in most places. But on Bermuda because of the distances involved and the excellent transportation system it makes sense to research and go on your own.

Do you plan to enjoy a beach? That's one thing we would make a point of avoiding the crowds, rather than going to Horseshoe, Tobacco, or a hotel look at Warwick Long Bay and Jobsen's Cove. Short walk from bus stop and not many amenities so not crowded.

First visit in Bermuda ? Want to see the most of the Island ?

Because of the short amount of time on the island, I suggest a private taxi tour of the island. 50$ per hour for 1-4 passenger. Minimum is 3 hours, but I would suggest a 4 hour tour starting early in the morning and ending in St-George. Then you could hit the beach at Tobacco beach and take the ferry back to the ship later in the afternoon.

Day 2 you can enjoy again a beach, could be Black Bay beach near the Dockyard. Little shopping, visit rum cake / glass factory, etc... at the Dockyard before the ship leaves.

Have fun !

Edited by sebas030