Celebrity Has No New Ships Ordered?

hctkbt

Am I wrong or has Celebrity not ordered new ships up to 2019? I wonder if this is telling us something about its future? I know more and more people who were diehard fans of Celebrity have become increasingly disenchanted with this company. Recent reductions in entertainment staff to 4/ship (less that I've seen in single lounges on other ships... oh, and I used to LOVE Celebrity and cruised this company almost exclusively... since the early 1990's... for years but not for the past couple of years as I have noticed a decline in their level of service).:confused:

Am I wrong or has Celebrity not ordered new ships up to 2019? I wonder if this is telling us something about its future? I know more and more people who were diehard fans of Celebrity have become increasingly disenchanted with this company. Recent reductions in entertainment staff to 4/ship (less that I've seen in single lounges on other ships... oh, and I used to LOVE Celebrity and cruised this company almost exclusively... since the early 1990's... for years but not for the past couple of years as I have noticed a decline in their level of service).:confused:

Here's a link to a discussion about this from about two weeks ago...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064378

I didn't finish my post and forgot to mention that between the non-existent orders as well as reductions in service and general satisfaction, Celebrity could be on a downward spiral (i'd mentioned this once before), and perhaps RCI will eventually close them down! It's part of a vicious cycle.... poorer service, reduced satisfaction, fewer bookings, less income, reduce service (costs) some more, leading to reduced satisfaction to the point where bookings eventually fall off to the point where the company is no longer viable.

I do miss the 'old' Celebrity... Zenith, etc

Edited by hctkbt

Celebrity just wrapped up building five new ships worth several billion dollars. There was a gap between the Millie and Solstice class. I see nothing wrong with this.

As far as the X product. No issues with that either IMHO. Great product. I'm sure there are other cruise lines to choose from if X is no longer offering what a guest would like.:)

Edited by cruisingator2

I didn't finish my post and forgot to mention that between the non-existent orders as well as reductions in service and general satisfaction, Celebrity could be on a downward spiral (i'd mentioned this once before), and perhaps RCI will eventually close them down! It's part of a vicious cycle.... poorer service, reduced satisfaction, fewer bookings, less income, reduce service (costs) some more, leading to reduced satisfaction to the point where bookings eventually fall off to the point where the company is no longer viable.

You think that adding new ships which would dilute the staff pool with newbies would increase service on existing ships? hmmmm

I think Celebrity has a nice size fleet right now, which is probably the newest fleet of all cruise lines.

You think that adding new ships which would dilute the staff pool with newbies would increase service on existing ships? hmmmm

I think Celebrity has a nice size fleet right now, which is probably the newest fleet of all cruise lines.

They have to keep up with the Jones.....

They have to keep up with the Jones.....

:)

I am however trying to find a 7 day cruise in the last two weeks of April next year and I have 1 option! So maybe instead of new ships, they could diversify their itineraries a titch :)

:)

I am however trying to find a 7 day cruise in the last two weeks of April next year and I have 1 option! So maybe instead of new ships, they could diversify their itineraries a titch :)

But their fleet is not large enough to do so...

hctkbt:

I certainly have not noticed a downward spiral.. changes yes, some that I don't like, but we're as happy as ever cruising for extended periods of time.

For every dissatisfied X cruiser, others are migrating to Celebrity for the first time, whether to follow the rumours of an upscale experience or dissatisfaction with their previous cruise line.

Sure it is. Solstice gets into Vancouver May 1. Run a 7 day each way wine cruise down to San Diego and back then start Alaska mid-May when they actually have a chance of getting into Tracy Arm.

Infinity ends her Panama Canal cruise April 27 in San Francisco. Add in a Mexican Riviera cruise before she starts Alaska. Easy Peasy.

We have been sailing Celebrity since 2006 and have not notice any downward spiral. They just finished launching, as stated above 5 new S Class ships, which costs several BILLION dollars. Cruise lines cannot afford to just put out new ships every year. We are very pleased with their current line of ships and find the servers on board to always go above and beyond. Are their a few isolated cases of a poor server her and there. Of course, but I have known the line to remedy that quickly. Sorry, but I disagree, I believe RCCL will keep Celebrity for a log time to come.

I will say that I would like them to replace the Century route of West Coast USA with another ship when they do retire her.

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

The Reflection debuted in 2012. The Millennium class ships are almost 15 years old...the new Panama Canal will open soon, allowing bigger ships to traverse.

Celebrity has to be planning on a new class of ships for the 2017 period...and begin retiring some of the older ships..

Azamara needs some new ships...all of the smaller cruise lines are building or sailing newer ships...Even Regent is building a new ship.

As far as Celebrity " spiraling " down hill or what ever, that's a little harsh ..

I'd prefer to say that the quality of the food and product hasn't kept up to the dramatic price increases we've experienced over the last two years....

This is another example of the Celebrity bashing that has been going on lately, but this post suggests it is reaching new heights of silliness.

RCI doesn't break out revenues for its individual brands, but overall the company's revenues and profits have been continually moving upward, and were still moving upward nicely during the latest reporting period (1Q 14), and forward bookings are accelerating. RCI is a well-managed company with a tremendous amount invested in the reputation of all its brands, including Celebrity which certainly accounts for a very significant share of its profits. To suggest it is taking steps to degrade the brand and eliminate it is just total nonsense.

What it does do, like any well-managed company, is tweek and rework the various offerings to insure they are contributing to profitability, short and long term. Sometimes this means that perks get adjusted, maybe because they were too generous and weren't accomplishing their purpose.

Some old-timers may not like the adjustments, but they can go elsewhere, just as others who have been elsewhere and don't like adjustments where they were come to Celebrity. That's called "churn," and it's part of the business. When they do shift their loyalties, they find the same thing happens at their new line of choice. These companies are in business to make money, not to give away services. Competition insures customers will receive value. Quit bellyaching, and enjoy the excellent vacations the industry is providing.

Celebrity just wrapped up building five new ships worth several billion dollars. There was a gap between the Millie and Solstice class. I see nothing wrong with this.

As far as the X product. No issues with that either IMHO. Great product. I'm sure there are other cruise lines to choose from if X is no longer offering what a guest would like.:)

Your right, they had a six year hiatus between the last M class ship and Solstice. With that in mind they should right about now be thinking of doing something with the lead time they will need to develop and build a ship.

And just to add to the other thread, NCL just ordered two more new Breakaway ships to be built at Meyer-Werft.....They are getting a bit full.

Edited by dkjretired

Kevnzworld: As far as Celebrity " spiraling " down hill or what ever' date=' that's a little harsh .. [/quote']

Phxazzcruisers: We have been sailing Celebrity since 2006 and have not notice any downward spiral. They just finished launching' date=' as stated above 5 new S Class ships, which costs several BILLION dollars. [b']Cruise lines cannot afford to just put out new ships every year[/b].

Appreciate these excellent above summary points. Those five ships total about $3.5 MILLION dollars. And need about 14-15,000 paying customers on them each and every week to pay for the staff, fuel, etc. That's lots to sell and fill, week after week, year after year.

It's Business Finance 101!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 67,162 views for this fun posting.

I can't find any downward spiral with Celebrity. Sure, there are changes. There are changes on all the ships. They have to keep the fares in line but overall I still think it's the best line for our needs. Nothing stays the same. No buffets at midnight, or brunch buffets, big deal. Celebrity has gorgeous ships, wonderful service and I always have a few pounds to lose at the end of the cruise...which indicates very good food. No complaints here.

hctkbt:

I certainly have not noticed a downward spiral.. changes yes, some that I don't like, but we're as happy as ever cruising for extended periods of time.

For every dissatisfied X cruiser, others are migrating to Celebrity for the first time, whether to follow the rumours of an upscale experience or dissatisfaction with their previous cruise line.

Cruisenut is correct about the fleet. How many threads are started on here that Celebrity should be running a ship out of Tampa, New Orleans, Charleston, West Coast, have ships in the Caribbean in the summer plus any number of combinations. Writers don't understand that Celebrity has half the number of ships as most of the larger lines, they can't go everywhere. They put them where they will make money.

skyisfalling.jpg

Appreciate these excellent above summary points. Those five ships total about $3.5 MILLION dollars.

Reflection alone cast over $750 million. I think you meant to say "$3.5 BILLION".

Reflection alone cast over $750 million. I think you meant to say "$3.5 BILLION".

YES! Sorry. It is BILLIONS, not my typing of only millions. My goof. But, not trillions of dollars. Yet.

Love your "The Sky Is Falling" cartoon. Cute and makes an important, valid point.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 177,761 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From what I recall reading, each S-Class ship cost around 800 Million USD, so it's probably closer to a 4 Billion dollar investment for the 5 ships.

Your right, they had a six year hiatus between the last M class ship and Solstice. With that in mind they should right about now be thinking of doing something with the lead time they will need to develop and build a ship.

And just to add to the other thread, NCL just ordered two more new Breakaway ships to be built at Meyer-Werft.....They are getting a bit full.

Hi Don,

I was wondering the same thing about Meyer Werft. I suspect that Celebrity would likely build with them again, but Meyer's order book is filling fast. From what I've read, Meyer Werft is negotiating to purchase another shipyard in Finland, so newbuild business might go there. If Celebrity hopes to use Meyer's Pappenburg yard again, we might hear something sooner than later.

Its worth noting that any ships ordered this year, would be for 2017 or 2018 delivery. At that point, the M Class would be sailing 15-18 years, so I also think that Celebrity probably has newbuild plans at this point.

Wow. I remember when the M-Class were brand new, and the C-Class were only a few years old. How time flies.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Don,

I was wondering the same thing about Meyer Werft. I suspect that Celebrity would likely build with them again, but Meyer's order book is filling fast. From what I've read, Meyer Werft is negotiating to purchase another shipyard in Finland, so newbuild business might go there. If Celebrity hopes to use Meyer's Pappenburg yard again, we might hear something sooner than later.

Its worth noting that any ships ordered this year, would be for 2017 or 2018 delivery. At that point, the M Class would be sailing 15-18 years, so I also think that Celebrity probably has newbuild plans at this point.

Wow. I remember when the M-Class were brand new, and the C-Class were only a few years old. How time flies.

I agree Andy. I am not sure where it goes. We all just have to make sure we make the most of it while we are here !!

The Reflection debuted in 2012. The Millennium class ships are almost 15 years old...the new Panama Canal will open soon, allowing bigger ships to traverse.

Celebrity has to be planning on a new class of ships for the 2017 period...and begin retiring some of the older ships..

Azamara needs some new ships...all of the smaller cruise lines are building or sailing newer ships...Even Regent is building a new ship.

As far as Celebrity " spiraling " down hill or what ever, that's a little harsh ..

I'd prefer to say that the quality of the food and product hasn't kept up to the dramatic price increases we've experienced over the last two years....

What ships would you think Celebrity would retire? M class ships? I am looking forward to the new Panama Canal and have been waiting to book and think Celebrity will put an S class ship on this itinerary, but that is just a guess. I loved the old M class ships prior to the reduction in public spaces! I have just decided to hold off on sailing the typical Caribbean sailings. I do love the 2 week Southern Caribbean and last did it in 2012 on Constellation the year before Eclipse took over this itinerary. Want to do it again on S class as now even Constellation has been fully converted (Solsticized) and not sure I want to sail M class in future.

I think it takes 3-4 years to get a ship built, my guess. If so, then it would be 2018 or 2019 for a new Celebrity ship to be launched since we are over half way through 2014.

A new class would be nice to talk about at least. Look at all the discussion over Quantum of the Seas.

Really? I went on the best cruise ever a few weeks ago...on Celebrity! If there were less staff, it wasn't noticable at all, as service was great. The only downward spiral that I have noticed is the fun of reading the Cruise Critic boards...the negativity lately is awful!

Edited by royalcruz