Breakaway July 13-20 to Bermuda - The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry

Sizzlechest

The pool area

I’ve mentioned that the pools are small, but I do have something positive to say about the pool areas on the Breakaway: Adults are not second class citizens to families. The main pool is deep and for adults with 4 hot tubs. The children’s pool and play are separated. The enforcement for the hot tubs was lax as there were plenty of children and teens in them. I didn’t care about this since there were no other options available.

Tip #18: Wear your bathing suits under your clothes when boarding the ship

There’s no guarantee that your room will be ready when you board. Wear your swimwear under your clothes so you can go swimming right away and beat the crowds.

Tip #19: Spice H2O is less crowded, but adults only.

We had our best luck finding lounge chairs at Spice H2O. YMMV.

Mini Golf

The mini golf course at the top deck of the ship is terrible. The course was designed poorly. There are too many ways for the ball to get trapped, the greens are too uneven, the cups are too shallow, and worst of all, the balls are tiny whiffle-type balls and not real golf balls. They’re way too light and get blown away by even a slight breeze. I understand that real golf balls may be too much of a hazard if some idiot started whacking them hard, but the game as it’s designed is unplayable.

Bob’s reply:

Baghdad_Bob.gif

…SYSTEM REBOOTING… PLEASE WAIT.

80’s Party and Fireworks

We got to Spice H2O early for the 80’s party and fireworks. They were playing the movie Frozen and there were some people and their kids watching it. They roped off the entire left side of Spice H2O. They said it was for safety reasons. There were no chairs left so we found some tiny tables to sit on. When the movie was over, they cleared the area of all the chairs and tables. Luckily we found some seats near the bar area on the right of the ship. The big screen showed a bunch of cassette tapes and a banner for the 80’s party. They started playing some alternative music. Okay, not too bad. We waited and waited for the party to start as the dance floor area started to fill up. The cruise director said Spice H2O would be the best place to see the fireworks and to go as far back near the screen as possible. I was a little worried that our seats would be too far starboard. She also said they would be playing videos when the party started. Some of the crew members dressed up like 80’s icons. There were two members of KISS, a Ghostbuster, etc. All of a sudden, they stop the music and start playing new music videos…at an 80’s party. Say what?! Eventually the fireworks began. They were nice and were played to some 80’s popular music. I’d consider them high-end fireworks that you can buy for a block party. They did make an effort to sync some of the fireworks to the song being played.

I’m not sure how anyone would have seen these fireworks from their balcony. They seemed to be mostly at the rear of the ship. (I certainly don’t think I could have seen them from my balcony with the damn overhang.)

For a cruise ship with its premier theater show of “Rock of Ages,” you’d think an 80’s party would have more 80’s rock…or even a little? After the fireworks, we left, so they may have had more songs played.

Bob’s reply:

Baghdad_Bob.gif

I was at the 80’s party and saw those videos and they were certainly from the 80’s. How can you say Pharrell Williams’ “Happy” is not a popular 80’s song? I…oh wait. I was thinking of “Don’t Worry, Be Happy.” You win this round!

Ice Cream at O’Sheehans?

I saw someone at O’Sheehans eating an ice cream sundae while passing by one day. I noticed on the wall across from there a price list for the ice cream bar. Most of the ice cream and topping selections are available in the buffet area for free. Why does it cost $4-$5 for a sundae on deck 7 that’s essentially free (with some assembly) on deck 15?

Bob’s reply:

Baghdad_Bob.gif

The $4.50 for my sundae includes putting all those ingredients in a large bowl and serving it to me. This is a wonderful service that I gladly pay for. Norwegian should double their prices, I tell you! DOUBLE!!!

To be continued…

Edited by Sizzlechest

Ideas Confirmed

Many aspects of my trip plans worked out as expected and I would do them again.

Make reservations

I’m glad I made reservations in advance for specialty dining and shows. If I didn’t have the UDP and only planned on a few specialties dining, I would have tried to find out which nights had MDR and buffet items that I didn’t want to miss and schedule accordingly.

Don’t prepay for stuff

Stop giving NCL an interest free loan. Pay when your cruise is over, not before.

Work with a Travel Agent that will work for you

Working with a TA can be tricky. If you’re not getting a lower price and if they don’t help with getting OBC or room upgrades when the price drops then move on to a different TA. The biggest downsides with a TA are trip cancellation fees and processing fees. Many travel agents will charge you a non-refundable fee if you cancel above and beyond what NCL will take. Some TAs may charge a processing fee. These processing fees are nonsense and can be waived if you ask. Just tell them other TAs don’t charge those fees.

Do research

It’s a pain for some people, but do research for your trip. Think about what you want to do before you do it. Sure, you can have fun just showing up and going with the flow. Just don’t be disappointed if you don’t get to do all the things you want.

Lessons Learned

What would I have done differently?

Go to the beach on the first good day.

Rather than hope for the best, I should have done the beach on a morning with good weather.

Don’t get a room on Deck 14

The noise (and overhang for port side balconies) made my cabin less desirable. It was very convenient to go to the pool and buffet, but I don’t think those benefits outweigh the negatives.

Don’t book more than a month in advance

I booked for a peak travel time and there were still unsold cabins in the last week. I could have sailed for a lot cheaper had I waited until then to book a cabin.

Don’t judge a specialty restaurant without trying it

I didn’t think I’d enjoy Teppenyaki as much as I did and I thought Ocean Blue would have been much better.

Don’t fear the buffet

I thought such a big ship would be complex to navigate and always crowded. It wasn’t bad at all. The buffet was very pleasant for breakfast and lunch.

Your kids may not love the Splash Academy

Many of the children wanted to stay out of the Splash Academy and said they’d rather stay in their cabins instead. How boring must it be at the club for so many kids to prefer that option?

Questions?

That’s about all I can say. Overall, I loved my trip and would do it again. The only major complaint that would seriously dissuade me from the Breakaway is the vibration. I’ll start a new thread about this topic and see what other people say. I can’t be the only one who has experienced this problem.

If you have any question, fire away.

Bob’s reply:

Baghdad_Bob.gif

I have a question: What other cruise company are you working for? We are sick of your lies. These negative reviewers are superpower of villains. They are superpower of Al Capone. We will push these crooks, these mercenaries back into the swamp. They only deserve to be hit with shoes.

Edited by Sizzlechest

Have to agree with most of your review.

We watched the fireworks from our deck 10 port side balcony just fine.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us. It very enjoyable to read!

Regards,

Bob

;)

Loved Breakaway and Bermuda and hope to go again next year.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Comedy Magician Michael Finney

He was great! I’d tell you not to miss his show, but my cruise was his last performance.

You just ruined my upcoming trip. OK not really but I was looking forward to this show. Hopefully they replace him with a similar act.

Tip #7: Car service instead of parking.

I live pretty far away from NYC, but a town car only cost me about $150 each way. Parking would have been $280 plus tolls. I used a car service that had lots of “7’s” in their phone number and they were great.

I live in Staten Island and its costing me $140 for my ride. OK it's a van for 9 people and the cost will be split 3 ways but It's only a 1/2 hour ride:eek:

No, you don't miss the Statue of Liberty. I got plenty of pictures. However, I didn't notice the time change until I was playing around with the TV menus and noticed it was at 5:15. I would have missed it! I later noticed that they sent a paper notice about the time change to the room. I don't remember seeing it prior to the show. Considering that was on the first night, they should have alerted me ASAP.

Just to elaborate on the Statue of Liberty. You get to the Verrazano Bridge in a little less than an hour. I went to watch from Ft Wadsworth a couple of weeks ago and she came by at 4:55. The Statue is well before that so within an hour you will have seen all there is to see.

Question about the time change. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but your comment makes it seem the time change is the first night but the dailies I've read say it's Monday before going to bed? Can you confirm which is correct?

Also, how was the service with the Iconcierge app. I'm hoping to use it to stay in touch with my kids (13 & 16) when they don't want to hang with the old folks.

I live in Staten Island and its costing me $140 for my ride. OK it's a van for 9 people and the cost will be split 3 ways but It's only a 1/2 hour ride

There's a car service that has lots of "7's" in it's phone number. Give them a call to see if you can get it cheaper.

Question about the time change. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but your comment makes it seem the time change is the first night but the dailies I've read say it's Monday before going to bed? Can you confirm which is correct?

The time change is Monday night (I think). If you're putting events in your schedule, make the events for Tuesday through Friday with the modified time zone.

Also, how was the service with the Iconcierge app. I'm hoping to use it to stay in touch with my kids (13 & 16) when they don't want to hang with the old folks.

It's $7.95 per phone. At the beginning of the trip, it didn't seem to work well. Cell phone to cell phone call quality was poor, but house phone to cell phone was very clear. I think part of the problem is that the android operating system puts the app to sleep, so it doesn't respond sometimes when the phone is called. The app was very useful when it worked. I was able to converse with my wife to know where to meet her. Also, I was able to get calls from the room. Each person gets a 7 digit number. If the cell phone is registered to that number, you can use any other phone on the ship to call that cell phone.

Thanks for your review. I'm really looking forward to our cruise later this year.

I really liked NCL freestyle as it used to be... I'm not looking forward to scheduling entertainment and meals. I just read where they will be taking reservations at the MDR too soon... yuk! Friends of ours also recommended the buffet on their June cruise and they generally don't like buffets; good to know.

One more thing...

Learn the difference between non-refundable and refundable OBC

I had $75 of OBC from my TA and this one was listed as refundable OBC. The main difference is that non-refundable OBC will be lost if you don't use it by midnight on the last day. This means if you wait until the day of disembarkation to buy that photo package to use up your non-refundable OBC, you can't. It's gone. Refundable OBC can be applied to the $12 pp service charge, but non-refundable OBC can't. Keep track of your balances on the iConcerge app or on your cabin TV if it has that feature.

Loving your review ! But disappointed about Cagneys !! I leave on Sunday and that was the one restaurant i was looking forward to ! Keeping my fingers crossed....:)

Could you please reply when you get back with your experience? I've always been a little critical of Cagney's, but this time it was ridiculous. I gotta hope it was an off night.

Will do !! We are from NY and love steakhouses in the city, so I will keep an open mind... MY dh and ds love seafood so I was going to book Ocean Blue but I find the charge a little much.....

I agree. The Seafood in Le Bistro is great. It's worth the $20-$30 extra.

I agree. The Seafood in Le Bistro is great. It's worth the $20-$30 extra.

Can't wait. Le Bistro is going to be my quiet dinner with just DW and I. No kids, parents or in laws.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...

Happened to look up this thread and the 4th part is gone. Luckily I saved it:

Cabins on deck 14

When I was offered a mini-suite, I asked to be on deck 14. I chose this since it’s the deck right below the pool area, so it should make quick runs to the room easy. It’s also right below the buffet so any coffee, snack, etc. runs should also be convenient. Well, that’s all true. Now that we were going to the buffet for breakfast and lunch, we could avoid the elevators and just walk up one flight of stairs. Easy peasy. However, deck 14 has some downsides. The sound of deck chairs being scrapped against the ceiling is not something I want to listen to when I’m trying to rest, nor do I want to hear people stomping around the pool area.

Ah, but you know it’s still worth it. You know why? The fireworks! I’m on the port side at the highest deck to the pool area. If anyone will be able to see fireworks from their balcony, It’s gotta be me. So I’m sitting out on the balcony with my wife admiring the ocean, telling her how we can avoid the crowds at Spice H2O and see everything from our room and I look up and I notice this:

No_fireworks_for_you.jpg

How was I supposed to know deck 15 overhangs the balconies on deck 14?! The best laid plans...

Burn the Floor

Dancing shows aren’t my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the art form and athleticism. My wife was so impressed, she gave them a standing ovation. If you like this kind of show, then you’ll really enjoy it.

The Nickelodeon Pajama Jam

I reserved the pajama jam for my child. It was really fun for the kids. The dancers from Burn the Floor are the ones who help out at the show. The food selection consists of sugar, brown sugar, and syrup. I get it; kids love sweets, but wow. Here’s something dumb they ought to fix: serve the coffee at the tables. Don’t put the coffee all the way in the back, expect people to fill it up and carry it back without any of it spilling on the dance floor. It’s a hazard.

Rock of Ages

People insist on bringing kids, get warned about the sexual content, and then get shocked when it happens. I just don’t get it.

I loved the show and it made me very nostalgic for the 80s. Make time to see it.

The main theater

The theater is very small. I don’t consider this a negative since the experience is much more intimate even from the back. The seats are horrendous! What is it with NCL and the theater seats? On the Star, many of them were broken. These are extremely uncomfortable. If you try to sit back in the chair, you get a thin metal bar across your ass and tailbone.

Bob’s reply:

Baghdad_Bob.gif

I’ve attended Broadway plays my entire life and the theater seats on the Breakaway are the most ergonomically designed seats in human history. There is obviously something wrong with your rear end if even the thought of a metal bar pressing against human bone is discomforting to you.

The Spa

The spa package is probably a great deal. Since we were traveling with a child, we didn’t think we’d be able to take full advantage of the full spa package. It looks wonderful though. I question the idea of getting a higher priced room with the spa package included if it can be purchased separately. However, I didn’t crunch the numbers to know if it’s a good or bad idea.

Tip #10: Avoid the spa raffle

The spa raffle is a ploy to suck you into teeth whitening, facials, blah, blah. I’m not saying you should partake in those things, but if you go to the spa for the raffle at the beginning in the cruise, they will drag you through the whole section and try to sell you on this junk. Get a price list and leave quickly.

Tradewinds: Booze!

Picking up bottles of liquor, wine, etc. at the duty free shop is a good idea. The prices are usually significantly better than what can be purchased locally. I’m not a drinker, but I like to keep my bar stocked for guests and I like to buy bottles as gifts.

If you’re going on a NCL cruise and you’d like a great gift to buy, I recommend this:

Tip #11: Sheridan's Coffee Liqueur

This cannot be purchased in the USA. They only way you can get a hold of this is at a duty free shop or from another country like the U.K.

liq_she1.jpg

Go when they offer a tasting. It’s incredible and relatively inexpensive. You can get two bottles for $37.

Tip #12: Buy your liquor on the first night.

If you know what you want right away, place your order the first night. The prices won’t change, but they offer a raffle to win your liquor order. It’s a snowball’s chance in hell of winning, but someone has to.

Tip #13: The bar hop on Tuesday

I didn’t partake because I missed it, but there’s a bar hop program you can buy, but it’s only for Tuesday. If you’re interested, find out about it right away. Sorry, but I don’t know if it’s worthwhile.

To be continued….

Edited by Sizzlechest

• 6 months later...
The plan evolves.

Last time I went to Bermuda, I did a glass bottom boat excursion that I booked myself. It was half the price of the same kind of excursion through NCL. I also went to Horseshoe Bay Beach and fell in love with the pink sand and clear water. After asking around the forums and doing other research, I decided that the Crystal Caves and Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) would be a fine choice this time. I also found Coco Reef resort. They offer day passes for $59 a person that includes a free prix fixe lunch menu and children under 11 are free (but no free lunch). Their beach is a private area at the end of Elbow beach. It’s further to travel, but no need to rent chairs or umbrellas, excellent facilities, and lunch is included.

Many people have said that the best kept secret is to go to O'Sheehan's for breakfast. It’s on a different deck than the MDRs and buffet, so it isn’t usually crowded. Sounds good to me!

Tip #4: Excursions are always cheaper when booked yourself.

Don’t be afraid to do excursions on your own. The dockyards are teaming with taxi drivers, mini-vans, glass bottom boats, snorkeling vendors, etc. that provide as good or better service than through the cruise line. Two years ago, I got a glass bottom boat tour for me, my wife and child for $50. This time, I was able to do the caves and aquarium for about $116 for all three of us. Here’s how I did it:

1. Buy an unlimited transit day pass for all members of the group. It costs $15 for adults and $7.50 for children.
  2. Take the 9:30 AM ferry from the Dockyards to St. George. (45 minutes)
  3. Go see the sites of St. George. I wasn’t too fond of St. George, so we only stayed an hour. At the ferry station, go up the hill and wait for ANY bus to Hamilton. The map claims only the 1 and 3 bus go to the caves, but the 10 and 11 bus go there as well. The stop for the caves will be next to an ice cream shop on your left. Follow the path to the cave box office. (15 minutes)
  4. After you’re done with the caves (1 hour), take the 10 or 11 bus to the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) (15-20 minutes). Admission costs $10 for adults and $5 for children. (2 hours)
  5. Take the 10 or 11 bus to Hamilton. Walk to the ferry and take the next one back to the Dockyards.

The total cost for me and my family: $37.50 +$54 + $25 = $116.50

Through NCL: $99 per adult and $79 per child. You’re dropped off at Hamilton and are expected to find your way back to the dockyard on your own, so add travel fees, too.

Total cost for excursion through NCL: $277 + $10.50 = $287.50

That’s over twice as much!

Bob’s reply:

Baghdad_Bob.gif

You cannot compare your homemade excursion to the professional services provided by NCL. When I spent almost $300 for the Caves and BAMZ, I was picked up in a minivan by a driver hand-picked by NCL. I along with 3 other families who saw the value in NCL’s service went on an hour long drive together while our driver told us about things in the general vicinity. One of the families got lost at the caves and we had to wait a hour until they were found. This only shows the dedication of NCL’s “leave no man behind” policy. After the excursion, we were left behind at Hamilton. I forgot to bring cash, so I couldn’t pay the fare for the ferry back and had to hitchhike back to the ship. It was a wonderful way to see Bermuda!

Tip #5: Bring cash.

Many places don’t take American Express and some only take cash. No need to get Bermudan currency. American currency is accepted everywhere.

The price drops…and drops…and drops!

Over the course of the next few months, the price seems pretty stable until the cancellation deadline passes. Then it begins dropping significantly. I get upgraded from a balcony to a mini suite on the 14th floor. (A mini-suite is a balcony with a bigger bathroom.) Didn’t need it, but I’m glad my TA got me something. In the last two weeks, the drop is even bigger. I get offered a “Family Mini-Suite.” It’s exactly the same as the room I had, but it’s on the 12th floor, so it’s closer to the Splash Academy. However, before I can accept, the room can only be booked for two people. The cabin can physically accommodate more, but there’s some kind of fire code regulation preventing the system from booking more than two people to the 12th floor. I get almost $250 in OBC instead. Thank goodness for my TA.

Tip #6: You might be better off booking close to the sailing date.

It’s a gamble, but if you’re not looking for something posh like the Haven, booking a week or two before can offer a SIGNIFICANT savings.

Tip #7: Car service instead of parking.

I live pretty far away from NYC, but a town car only cost me about $150 each way. Parking would have been $280 plus tolls. I used a car service that had lots of “7’s” in their phone number and they were great.

The big day has arrived!

Wow! The Breakaway is magnificent! And huge! The rooms are gorgeous. Check in was a breeze. We dropped our bags off outside our room and went to the buffet. Food was really nice. I had Ratatouille for the first time and loved it.

The first night.

When we go back to our room that night, we notice the whole floor is vibrating. I mean like REALLY vibrating. I can’t believe it. It’s like a jackhammer is going on constantly. I went to customer service to find out if it’s a temporary thing, but they don’t seem to know anything about a vibration. The shaking isn’t confined to the 14th floor, but it’s most pronounced mid-ship. It was the worst in Headliners.

It stopped whenever we were in port. I’ve read about other people complaining about vibration in the aft rooms, but I had no idea about this problem until I experienced it firsthand. This is a serious design flaw of the ship, IMHO.

Bob’s reply:

Baghdad_Bob.gif

There is no engine vibration. This is Norwegian’s patented “Magic Fingers” relaxation service it gives to you for free. I sleep like a baby in the vibrating bed. It also soothes my feet after a long day of walking around the ship. There is no design flaw.

To be continued….

I have to ask ....Who is your TA.....I have never had anyone work like that for upgrades for me ...:confused: