What ship will eventually replace Majesty?

It was a good move to put Navigator on the east coast of Florida. It's got Sabor which should play to Miami. Sounds like Freedom is taking over Indy's itinerary from Port Everglades. I do have to say I am a BIT surprised though that they didn't put Freedom in Miami and put Navigator in Port Everglades only for the "floating commercial" impact. Within the next 2 years Miami will have some impressive new-build megaships from NCL, Carnival, and MSC. Navigator is still a good choice with all of its renovations. RCI could not possibly have left a single 3/4 ship in Miami with all of the competition showing off. I especially like the 9 night ABC sailing on a Voyager-class.

It was a good move to put Navigator on the east coast of Florida. It's got Sabor which should play to Miami. Sounds like Freedom is taking over Indy's itinerary from Port Everglades. I do have to say I am a BIT surprised though that they didn't put Freedom in Miami and put Navigator in Port Everglades only for the "floating commercial" impact. Within the next 2 years Miami will have some impressive new-build megaships from NCL, Carnival, and MSC. Navigator is still a good choice with all of its renovations. RCI could not possibly have left a single 3/4 ship in Miami with all of the competition showing off. I especially like the 9 night ABC sailing on a Voyager-class.

I would love to do that sailing. Unfortunately, we won't be going on a longer cruise in 2017, so I'm hoping that it will be offered in 2018. (I know, I know, that a lonnggg way off!:p)

But we might do a shorter cruise in late 2016, so Navigator's 5-night will probably be a top choice.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I would love to do that sailing. Unfortunately, we won't be going on a longer cruise in 2017, so I'm hoping that it will be offered in 2018. (I know, I know, that a lonnggg way off!:p)

But we might do a shorter cruise in late 2016, so Navigator's 5-night will probably be a top choice.

So any guesses on the 5-day Bahamas itinerary?

I really really really hope they do not include Freeport... yuch!!

I would love if they do a deal with CCL (since they're using Cococay) and are able to go to Turks & Caicos!! :)

so Cococay, Nassau, T&C, at sea, back to Miami :D:D:D

So any guesses on the 5-day Bahamas itinerary?

I really really really hope they do not include Freeport... yuch!!

I would love if they do a deal with CCL (since they're using Cococay) and are able to go to Turks & Caicos!! :)

so Cococay, Nassau, T&C, at sea, back to Miami :D:D:D

They said Bahamas/Mexico, so I guess more or less the same itinerary as Explorer is doing right now. Cozumel and a combination of Nassau or Freeport or maybe Coco Cay.

They said Bahamas/Mexico, so I guess more or less the same itinerary as Explorer is doing right now. Cozumel and a combination of Nassau or Freeport or maybe Coco Cay.

Ah yes, I see that... ok, leave Cococay for Rhapsody & EoS

How's this: Nassau, Labadee, Cozumel, at sea :D:D:D (I like this!)

My DH was definitely intrigued by the 9 night option on Navigator.....we were discussing how a 9 night cruise should be our next venture. It requires work flexibility in combination with cruise schedule.....and not before 2017 most likely.

Happiness is relative. I was never of the opinion

Enchantment being replaced with a smaller ship (Rhapsody) was never even a thought to me, but it would l make sense, if as some say, Enchantment has had some difficulty sailing full.

Where do you come up with these things :rolleyes:??

It was a good move to put Navigator on the east coast of Florida. It's got Sabor which should play to Miami. Sounds like Freedom is taking over Indy's itinerary from Port Everglades. I do have to say I am a BIT surprised though that they didn't put Freedom in Miami and put Navigator in Port Everglades...

Agreed. Regardless, I'm so glad to see them keeping the Freedom class and a couple Voyager class in the Caribbean. I hate the aspect of flying in and out of MIA and getting from the MIA to Dodge Island, but you seriously cannot beat the gorgeous view sailing out of Miami and the beautiful row to "showcase" the ships.

I'd pick Port Everglades any day over the Port of Miami but I am glad they are keeping a presence there.

I agree, there will be some advantages of Rhapsody over Enchantment. You mentioned the additional specialty restaurants. Also, because of the lack of additional staterooms due to the Enchantment stretch, the theater and Windjammer should be less crowded.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the better DL views on Rhapsody, the additional specialty dining, and the less congested WJ. Enchantment is great but the WJ is straight up unbearable at times. I love Enchantments pool deck, but I can deal with the smaller pool deck for less congestion elsewhere!

And so the wait is over. And I think what I predicted about EN months ago based on the talk of senior officers on MJ. I don't love vision class. But hope a lot of MJs crew is transferred to her.

If what happened to Monarch is any guide, much of the crew gets dispersed around the fleet. Very few went directly to Enchantment,

To answer your question, it came off Florida Today, which is the local paper for Brevard County, which includes Port Canaveral.

I don't think that was the question, probably something to do with EN occupancy rate

Those turbines suck fuel but burn a lot cleaner than the diesel fuel Majesty. I don't think they'd be cheaper to operate or fuel at low speeds than comparable diesel at the same speeds. I guess one could say because of their turbines they can run itineraries that command a premium and I suspect cold weather ship means enclosed solarium.

Would be nice to have in Miami but I won't hold my breath.

I'm not sure the speed of the ship matters. I did a behind the scenes tour on a Carnival ship once. The engines (whatever the fuel) don't drive the ship directly they run generators and they power drive engines that are electric.

And yes, Enchantment has the solarium, which is nice - although I kind of wish they would open up the roof on warm days.

I agree. I think that's how it is going to work.

Direct from the Press Release:

For the winter 2016-17, Oasis of the Seas will inaugurate Oasis-class adventures from

Port Canaveral, alternating a seven-night Eastern and Western Caribbean itinerary. Rhapsody of the Seas will take over three- and four-night Bahamas cruises from Enchantment of the Seas.

I would assume that that means that both Oasis and Rhapsody will be arriving in the fall. So I would guess that PC will be without a ship for the summer.

I think I have understood that Freedom would stay at PC for the summer and then move to PE when Oasis arrives.

I'm not sure the speed of the ship matters. I did a behind the scenes tour on a Carnival ship once. The engines (whatever the fuel) don't drive the ship directly they run generators and they power drive engines that are electric.

Speed does matter. In short, speed costs fuel and money. If you're driving your car at 40-mile an hour and then accelerate to 80 miles an hour, what happens to fuel consumption? It goes up. The same is true on an ships. The faster you go, the more fuel you burn. Drag, which causes the increase of fuel burn, is actually proportional to the square of the speed. So, drag increases at a faster rate than increasing speed.

Yes, engines don't drive the ship directly but the 'fuel' used to power the propellers is electricity that is generated by the engines. Going faster means using more electricity (again, that is proportional to the square of the speed) which means using more fuel to power the generators to create more electricity.

I think I have understood that Freedom would stay at PC for the summer and then move to PE when Oasis arrives.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant that PC seems to be without a 3/4 night ship during the summer. Since Majesty is retiring in Apr, Enchantment will most likely move to Miami at that time. However, the paragraph from the press release that I quoted in my last reply seems to say that Rhapsody won't arrive in PC until the fall, which would mean that there will be no ship to do the 3/4 nighters throughout the summer.

Speed does matter. In short, speed costs fuel and money. If you're driving your car at 40-mile an hour and then accelerate to 80 miles an hour, what happens to fuel consumption? It goes up. The same is true on an ships. The faster you go, the more fuel you burn. Drag, which causes the increase of fuel burn, is actually proportional to the square of the speed. So, drag increases at a faster rate than increasing speed.

Yes, engines don't drive the ship directly but the 'fuel' used to power the propellers is electricity that is generated by the engines. Going faster means using more electricity (again, that is proportional to the square of the speed) which means using more fuel to power the generators to create more electricity.

For direct drive sure. But if the generators run at a base load level that has surplus electricity that wouldn't apply if there is surplus energy in the system to handle the increase. Not even sure where you get the square of speed thing. So increasing by 10 mph creates a 100 fold increase in fuel consumption, don't think so. My car as a instantaneous fuel consumption and I can assure you that the gas mileage does not go down significantly going from say 50 to 60 mph

For direct drive sure. But if the generators run at a base load level that has surplus electricity that wouldn't apply if there is surplus energy in the system to handle the increase. Not even sure where you get the square of speed thing. So increasing by 10 mph creates a 100 fold increase in fuel consumption, don't think so. My car as a instantaneous fuel consumption and I can assure you that the gas mileage does not go down significantly going from say 50 to 60 mph

If you calculate the difference in your car between 50mph and 60mph you may see as much as a 10-15% drop in economy depending on the car. That's actually pretty significant. And one thing most (I can't think of any) cars do not show is the gallon per hour burn.

If you are getting 25 MPG at 50 MPH you are burning 2.0 gallons per hour.

If you suffer a 10% mileage hit (2.5 MPG down to 22.5 MPG) to go 60 MPH you are burning 2.6 gallons per hour, a 30% increase in fuel flow rate to only cover 20% more distance in the same time. In the nautical world fuel flow and GPH burn is far more useful metric. Just some food (fuel) for thought.

Cruise ships try their hardest to not generate surplus electricity because it's money spent that doesn't have to be.

And you misread my statement on drag. Drag is proportional to the square of the speed and drag is what affects your fuel consumption. Airplanes like to fly high because there is less atmosphere and hence less drag and therefore they save on fuel. The drag formula is:

99a6015b6a230860c9b1517b238e5de9.png

where

ef745c9055b714e1b3f349e16722a718.png is the drag force,

f7f177957cf064a93e9811df8fe65ed1.png is the density of the fluid,

9e3669d19b675bd57058fd4664205d2a.png is the speed of the object relative to the fluid,

7fc56270e7a70fa81a5935b72eacbe29.png is the cross sectional area,

anda517f69e585a1d09fda13eb087b5e112.png is the drag coefficient.

The density of seawater is greater than air (where your car operates) and thus ships are already at a disadvantage. But the key driver in this equation is velocity (v). As your velocity increases FD has to be AT LEAST one half the square of velocity. Which, as you know, is not linear.

Ship captains will always go as slow as possible and as fast as necessary. :-)

Edited by tahqa

Good Lord, my brain hurts now. Thanks. :D

What I was getting at is on the current itineraries, Majesty comes to almost a full stop during the night between Nassau and Coco Cay because the cruising distance is so short. I was only suggesting this would be a good option for the gas guzzler turbine ships since they would use a lot less gas than on the longer cruises Radiance Class is already doing.

Good Lord, my brain hurts now. Thanks. :D

What I was getting at is on the current itineraries, Majesty comes to almost a full stop during the night between Nassau and Coco Cay because the cruising distance is so short. I was only suggesting this would be a good option for the gas guzzler turbine ships since they would use a lot less gas than on the longer cruises Radiance Class is already doing.

EN isn't a turbine though, correct?